cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

First time seller HORROR story

I decided to sell a high valued item on eBay for the first time. This is how it went horribly wrong, and eBay couldn't do anything but shoulder shrug... 

- Last week I put a snowcone machine up for sale. A buyer found me, and we came to an agreement on price. 
- I shipped product to buyer.
- The model ended up not being what the buyer wanted, he believed I put incorrect information in my description. I called and talked to a man named Shawn. He told me what I had done incorrectly (totally my fault on how I listed it). He told me that in this case "ebay would make me refund the money". I said I understand and we hung up.
- I went and refunded the money, believing this was also beginning the returning process.
- 3 days go by, I contact buyer to ask about return information. 
- Called ebay to ask about the return process because this was all new to me, and Katelyn explained there is a return and a refund process. Shawn failed to explain to me the difference in this, and actually made me feel like I had to refund the money to get my product back. 
I contacted buyer, he ended up donating my machine after he got the automated message from ebay that he can keep my machine since I refunded the money before the return.
- I called ebay AGAIN today to figure out what my options are. 
- Shayley answered all my questions, was empathic towards my story and said she would try to get me coupon for my customer experience. 

- I just got an email for her saying eBay has denied my coupon... MY COUPON WAS DENIED...
- The silly pieces of paper we all get in the mail on a regular basis, was denied.

The only possibly thing to keep me coming back to eBay as a customer was that coupon.
Happily I will never ever sell or buy on eBay EVER AGAIN.

I am upset because the first employee failed to explain to me the return and the refund process. If that was explained, I'd have my machine in hand and I would be able to relist the item. All I wanted was my product back, I know it was my mistake that caused the return but Shawn's full explaination would've changed everything. 
Katelyn and Shayley were both fantastic employees and explained everything. I appreciate their customer service and empathy towards the situation. 

Totally screwed now.
Thanks for nothing eBay.

Message 1 of 39
latest reply
38 REPLIES 38

Re: First time seller HORROR story

I guess you can see where this went wrong, but if you really want to pursue a legitimate recovery path, you can sue your buyer in small claims court.

This was not a crime. You refunded, leaving buyer with a debt to you of the stuff you did ship.  Debts are not crimes.  Your buyer did nor defraud you (as the story has been presented).

Message 16 of 39
latest reply

ohnathan wrote:

- I went and refunded the money, believing this was also beginning the returning process.

In your listing for this item, you stated that you were NOT OFFERING A RETURN OPTION.   So, why were you expecting a return?  You listed No Returns.  And now, it's being handled exactly as you listed it.. No Returns.

Message 17 of 39
latest reply

I was under the impression that was me saying, "you cannot return this item" like st a store when they have a NO RETURN sign up. Meaning, you buy it and that's it, in other words All Sales Final. 

Message 18 of 39
latest reply

I never blamed my buyer once. He got an automated message from eBay that told him not to return. That's not his fault, very suspicious that it was donated but I want to believe him I think. 

Message 19 of 39
latest reply

@ohnathan wrote:

I was under the impression that was me saying, "you cannot return this item" like st a store when they have a NO RETURN sign up. Meaning, you buy it and that's it, in other words All Sales Final. 

No Returns is for buyer's remorse. 

The eBay Money Back Guarantee on your listing trumps "All Sales Final".

I believe you have been scammed...an honest buyer would have returned the item. 

Again...how far is the buyer from your location? 

Did they say to whom the item was donated?

I would try everything in my power to recover this item if I was in your position. 

Message 20 of 39
latest reply

I'm looking for a free saw mill. Who wants to donate one to me? You pay for the shipping as well.

Message 21 of 39
latest reply

@*help_no_brakes* wrote:

No Returns is for buyer's remorse.

That's the same way I view it.  By saying "No Returns", a seller is implying that they do not accept returns for anything that is "as described".  That doesn't mean that if a person receives something that is "not as described" they can keep it and get a refund.  Some sellers may be willing to let a buyer keep something if the return shipping cost would outweigh the cost they could replace the item for, but I have a feeling that the vast majority of sellers will want their item back and would be willing to pay for the return shipping if something was "not as described".

Message 22 of 39
latest reply

That’s totally how it is on here, if Some **bleep** bag scam artist for instance gives you a “held” payment, if you’re Gullible enough or experienced & you ship, they’ll pull the payment right when they get, or right when merchandise leaves the harbor in Florida Because they know that there’s no way to intercept it. It’s happening a lot out of Florida that international buyers deal they’re doing. So even if you have no international buyers on your account since they’re buying it basically out of Florida. Seems it’s nothing but a bunch of scamming going on against sellers (i’ve had three of them haven’t fallen for it yet and I am by no means a big volume or big seller). Yeah anybody selling on here will tell you that Ebay is heavily heavily slanted towards the buyer you really have to watch your listings as far as accuracy & need to be exactly as described and if they are exactly as described there’s no way they can weasel...but my suggestion; Take it to PayPal. Paypal you have six months to get your money back even as a seller ((as long as it’s a scam And it sounds like that would qualify. It will get him in trouble for not shipping the item back to you like he was supposed to to. And they will debit his PayPal account for you)). Hope that this helps out, I hate scamming lowlife POS’s like your buyer he should be booted the heck on out but Ebay won’t Do **bleep** to the buyers though
Message 23 of 39
latest reply

@ohnathan wrote:

I called and talked to a man named Shawn. He told me what I had done incorrectly that in this case "ebay would make me refund the money". I said I understand and we hung up.
- I went and refunded the money. 

I cannot understand why you think it is Ebay's fault. So you where on the phone with the buyer, they told you to refund and you did immediately without question. While you where on the phone it never occurred to you to ask the buyer how he will be returning the item before you refunded ? Strange indeed !!!

Message 24 of 39
latest reply

I think shawn was an ebay rep, not the buyer.

Anyway, this thread is a bit old, and the op is NARU.

Message 25 of 39
latest reply

@ebuyingcat wrote:

@*help_no_brakes*

It may not be advisable, but I like your style!

I would also have liked to see the "look" on the scammer's face.

Way to go!

According to the Slang Dictionary, dial  is Australian slang for face. sunglasses

Message 26 of 39
latest reply

Yes indeed, very strange how you managed to jump straight to the wrong conclusion.

"If a product doesn't sell, raise the price" - Reese Palley
"If it sold FAST, it was priced too low" - also Reese Palley
Message 27 of 39
latest reply

Not continueing on eBay may be your best move.

If you decide to stay, I suggest you not have Shawn explain eBay's policies but rather read them yourself. 

Or spendmore time here in the community where you will learn a lot about how eBay really works....... works for eBay.

"Fly the Big Ones"
Message 28 of 39
latest reply

Yes, You would NOT accept a return due to changed mind! However EVERY ONE ACCEPTS RETURNS FOR ITEM NOT AS DESCRIBED> I am so AMAZED AT new sellers that Fall for this!
Message 29 of 39
latest reply

@*madison wrote:

Anyway, this thread is a bit old, and the op is NARU.

A wrinkle the others seem not to have caught on to.

Forget keeping up with the Joneses. Be the Finklegrubers!
OK kids, time to get the Dodge loaded up again. I hear 'Poppy's By the Tree' calling. This trip might be a long one too.
Message 30 of 39
latest reply