cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fell for a scam after 24 years of selling. Anything I should do other than blocking the bidder?

I usually insist on a return but this one tricked me. Anything I should do other than blocking the bidder? I'm ready to move onto the next sale but want to ensure I'm doing the right thing and protecting others. Thanks! 

Screenshot_20240411_215604_Gmail.jpgScreenshot_20240412_081118_Gmail.jpgScreenshot_20240412_081035_Gmail.jpg

Message 1 of 15
latest reply
14 REPLIES 14

Fell for a scam after 24 years of selling. Anything I should do other than blocking the bidder?

You should've had the buyer return it. If it comes back to you as something other than what you sent you can deduct up to 50% from the refund. 
If I am wrong someone is going to chime in to correct me. 

Message 2 of 15
latest reply

This scam is becoming more common than some think. I recently had a buyer try this on me with a broken ceramic hippo. 

Once I asked her to return it, everything went away. 

Message 3 of 15
latest reply

I'll call it like I see it.  The pictures are not taken from the exact angle.  I see the extra paint on your images but there is a shadow on the buyer's image in the same location making it hard to see.  I certainly would never accuse another person without due diligence.  You could have asked for another picture taken with a flash.  What about those smudges by the eye, they match up.  What about the hand painted mustache, the irregularity in hues matches up. 

It's inappropriate and un-American to accuse people of wrongdoing without all the facts.  

Message 4 of 15
latest reply

@toysaver wrote:

I'll call it like I see it.  The pictures are not taken from the exact angle.  I see the extra paint on your images but there is a shadow on the buyer's image in the same location making it hard to see.  I certainly would never accuse another person without due diligence.  You could have asked for another picture taken with a flash.  What about those smudges by the eye, they match up.  What about the hand painted mustache, the irregularity in hues matches up. 

It's inappropriate and un-American to accuse people of wrongdoing without all the facts.  

I agree.  Some blemishes are the same on both. I think it's the same item.
But, @toysaver ,  That last line is wrong.  Accusing people of wrongdoing sure seems to be the new American way!! LOL

Message 5 of 15
latest reply

I can't imagine there are 2 of these in the world and the buyer has 2 now...and one is broken.

I mean, the buyer did send photos which a buyer doesn't have to do.

If the buyer didn't send a photo...what would you have done?

Message 6 of 15
latest reply

I'm doubting there are even two of those in the world.  It's a copy of an antique item from Germany.   The China made copies are crude with manufacturing flaws making each unique.  If I had just one and it broke I would consider it a blessing and would hardly be rushing to buy another online and rip off the seller.  

Message 7 of 15
latest reply

@toysaver wrote:

Yep, they are exactly the same, the shadow just hides the extra purple paint on the forehead. As you said, the smudges by the left eye match in both images, as does that one slightly darker spot in the mustache on the left side.

Message 8 of 15
latest reply

You can certainly see the purple smudge on the hairline in several of the pictures in your listing.

``````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````

“Never pick a fight with an ugly person. They don’t have anything to lose.” ~Robin Williams
Message 9 of 15
latest reply

Who be scamming this.

Is this like original switched with knock off.

Or you think someone switching knockoff for knockoff.

I think you be owe someone an apology.

Message 10 of 15
latest reply

I've looked at your original listing photos.
I think we just discovered that your wife is actually not smarter than you.

Maybe best she leaves ebaying to you.

Message 11 of 15
latest reply

Never mind

albertabrightalberta
Volunteer Community Mentor

Message 12 of 15
latest reply

There's no question that the buyer's picture shows the same item.

Compare: But because I had to rotate the buyer's image, the chip on the hat is at a different angle and as such, isn't identical, however the other details (studs, mark on left eye) are identical. 

albertabrightalberta_0-1712948649705.png

albertabrightalberta
Volunteer Community Mentor

Message 13 of 15
latest reply

Hi @worldapexsales 

I didn't see that anyone tagged you yet ... and I wanted to make sure you read the perceptive replies.

I also am in agreement that the photos are of the SAME ITEM.  You need to handle your error with an apology to your buyer ... or a negative feedback is likely in your future.  

Message 14 of 15
latest reply

Agreed -- Refund or not, for the buyer to have been accused of deception must have really stung.  😔

Message 15 of 15
latest reply