cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fees + Fees = Outrageous Fees + Tax = Fees on Tax = Fraud

I Graduated from College almost 30 years ago which basically makes me as intelligent as the Pimpled Faced Kid that works at my local Dairy Queen, so forgive me if this mathematical Post seems elementary to everyone else. This is my equation:  Bubba decides to sell his used bubble gum collection on eButt. BamBam buys Bubbas Bubble Gum Collection for $57.00 and $11.00 in shipping plus 4.77 Tax. eButt charges Bubba a fee for introducing him to BamBam in the amount of 12.9%, and as if that wasn't enough, another .30 fee. So, $57.00 + $11.00 is $68.00 and 12.9% plus .30 of $68.00 should be $9.07. eButt says the fee is based on $72.77 which has Bubba confused, how can eButt charge Bubba a fee on something that he never receives. Bubba is thinking about asking his uncle, SAM, how can eButt charge Bubba a fee on tax. This should be illegal, and I see a class action lawsuit in eButts future.  

Message 1 of 72
latest reply
71 REPLIES 71

my goodness lol... BamBam has quite the fe__ish!! but to each their own, its better than the new(other) granny pan_ies.🤗i also, agree, & feel they shouldnt be charging a fee on your tax..it seems quite wrong, but that is a simple screenshot & an email inquiry for the lawyer ✌🏻but if you've read the selling info, it does state that you will be charged on your total sale, so..it is what it is *shrugs*😮💨

Message 46 of 72
latest reply

Whenn you go to a restaurant and pay with a credit card, the processing fee for the business is based on the price of the meal plus tax. Ebay isn't doing anything abnormal when compared to what all the credit card companies charge businesses for creit card purchase. 

Message 47 of 72
latest reply

Credit card processors=3-4%

Ebay charge, shipping & sales tax=12.9%

12.9% is not a money processing fee=abnormal

Message 48 of 72
latest reply

@zero29zero wrote:

Credit card processors=3-4%

Ebay charge, shipping & sales tax=12.9%

12.9% is not a money processing fee=abnormal

It is not 'abnormal' - it includes their percentage of the sale. This is not a non-profit operation for Ebay.

I dont know for certain but I suspect that your average antique mall takes a higher percentage for running a booth there. And here you get a worldwide audience.

Message 49 of 72
latest reply

I suspect the only reason eBay itemizes fees that way, for now, is because users are accustomed to see a final value fee and a processing fee with PayPal.

They will probably stop eventually and simply charge an encompassing “sale fee” or “transaction fee” without breaking it down between item, shipping, tax, etc.

And once you look at it, an all encompassing fee of 12.9% is NOT unreasonable nor abnormal compared to other similar online selling platforms.

She ❤︎ Her ❤︎ Hers
Message 50 of 72
latest reply

@mandisattictoyz wrote:

Your right. it's just me, membership to Ebay is down 37% since they began taking over from paypal

Do you have a source for this claim?

Message 51 of 72
latest reply

You are right yes but what other platform can you use to sell pre-owned goods online with as much traffic and conversion as eBay for a measly 12.9 cents on the dollar? I tried facebook and the conversion is not even close to what eBay is. Regardless of what platform you choose, they will charge very close, if not more than what eBay charges with a fraction of the traffic with the exception of amazon but you can't sell nearly as much pre-owned goods on amazon as you can on eBay. 12.9% is what eBay charges to cover their fee to the payment processor and for their services. I'll gladly pay 12.9% any day of the week for 100's of millions of people being able to see my items. I get to work for myself & make more money than I was when I worked a crap job & I don't have to listed to anyone tell me what to do. I work under 4 hours a day and make a comfortable living.

Message 52 of 72
latest reply

Except that eBay isn't a credit institution, why are they charging for banking maintenance or lending money?

Message 53 of 72
latest reply

I agree, I never said I wasn't happy with ebay's charges for selling

With the worldwide exposure & huge buyer base it offers you can't beat it

Message 54 of 72
latest reply

It's a source of revenue for the company, that's why

Think I've posted that a half dozen times today

Message 55 of 72
latest reply

"Except that eBay isn't a credit institution, why are they charging for banking maintenance or lending money?"

Hardly,think you have a bank maintenance fee confused.

A monthly maintenance fee (sometimes called a monthly service fee) is money a bank charges you for working with the company. The fee is usually automatically withdrawn from your account each month. In some cases, you'll pay the fee no matter what. But many banks let you waive the fee if you meet certain requirements.

``````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````

“Never pick a fight with an ugly person. They don’t have anything to lose.” ~Robin Williams
Message 56 of 72
latest reply

@itsjustasprain wrote:

@mandisattictoyz wrote:

Your right. it's just me, membership to Ebay is down 37% since they began taking over from paypal

Do you have a source for this claim?

Still waiting on your source for this claim... Have you found it yet?

Message 57 of 72
latest reply

I don't mind it and here's why: 

I can try selling an item of mine for say $275 on a local site. Zero contact. None. Maybe some scammer texts come through. I might have to renew that post every now and then. I can sell that same item on Ebay for $450. Sure, maybe I pay $60 or so in fees, $10 for a good box and materials, and maybe $45 shipping in some cases, but a net $335 instead of $275 is better. I don't have to meet a bunch of random people and tie my day up or renew posts. I just list, kind of forget, box it up with other stuff and drop them all off at once. 

I don't need to do math on paying tax fees to know I still make more on here and actually get sales. 

Message 58 of 72
latest reply

The fee is on the customer's payment, no matter how that breaks down.

If you had used Free Shipping (a marketing term that means the cost of shipping was included in the purchase price)  the buyer would have paid $68.00 for the purchase and still have paid $4.77 in Internet (state) sales tax.

The total would remain $72.77.

The agreed fee would be 30c (non-refundable) and 12.9% of the entire payment  making $9.69.

Our shop got a merchant credit card account circa 1979-80 and paid Moneris, the payment processor , fees based on the entire payment, including shipping and sales taxes as appropriate, until we retired in 2014.

The confusions were only on what was taxable, not that the fees were not payable.

Message 59 of 72
latest reply

Correction.....it's ebay sales commission fee which is based on the category + the payment processing fee(managed payment = 2.9%) .... the payment processing fee is within industry standard for payment processors.....the sales commission is also fair since ebay owns the site & brings in the buyers.

Message 60 of 72
latest reply