cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fees + Fees = Outrageous Fees + Tax = Fees on Tax = Fraud

I Graduated from College almost 30 years ago which basically makes me as intelligent as the Pimpled Faced Kid that works at my local Dairy Queen, so forgive me if this mathematical Post seems elementary to everyone else. This is my equation:  Bubba decides to sell his used bubble gum collection on eButt. BamBam buys Bubbas Bubble Gum Collection for $57.00 and $11.00 in shipping plus 4.77 Tax. eButt charges Bubba a fee for introducing him to BamBam in the amount of 12.9%, and as if that wasn't enough, another .30 fee. So, $57.00 + $11.00 is $68.00 and 12.9% plus .30 of $68.00 should be $9.07. eButt says the fee is based on $72.77 which has Bubba confused, how can eButt charge Bubba a fee on something that he never receives. Bubba is thinking about asking his uncle, SAM, how can eButt charge Bubba a fee on tax. This should be illegal, and I see a class action lawsuit in eButts future.  

Message 1 of 72
latest reply
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

Re: Fees + Fees = Outrageous Fees + Tax = Fees on Tax = Fraud

I’ve been trying to figure how they can charges a percentage of the shipping, for years.

View Best Answer in original post

Message 7 of 72
latest reply
71 REPLIES 71

Not illegal. You agreed to all of ebay policies when became member and every time you use the ebay site.

Ebay makes it very clear you are charged on the amount he BUYER PAYS.  Not how much a seller receives.

For some......It seems wisdom has been chasing you, but you have always been faster.
Message 2 of 72
latest reply

You can raise your prices, and shipping as well.  You have options.  Good luck on your selling journey.

Message 3 of 72
latest reply

Maybe you feel that it should be illegal, but it's not.

If you strongly disagree with it, you have the option not not sell here.

Papa Was A Rolling Stone - The Temptations
Message 4 of 72
latest reply

You get a fee on the sales tax mainly because Ebay files those taxes for you. When this first started I felt a bit perplexed about the tax fee as well, but when I consider how many states I sell to and the complicated tax structure when this began I gladly would pay for them to take care of this.

Message 5 of 72
latest reply

P.S. 

You know that pice of driftwood you have listed?

Ebay is going to charge you  "outrageous fees" when it sells. 

Papa Was A Rolling Stone - The Temptations
Message 6 of 72
latest reply

I’ve been trying to figure how they can charges a percentage of the shipping, for years.

Message 7 of 72
latest reply

you know those small pieces of driftwood that are still listed are the last of 125 high priced items that I have taken elsewhere that strip you naked with fees  

Message 8 of 72
latest reply

If this were 30 years ago Bubba would have to consign his collection or sell it outright to a specialty B&M store with a 50/50 split. 

It would have cost Bubba at least a $100 in time and money to find BamBam on his own.  Setting up a website with effective advertising can be costly.

Bubba got a bargain.

Message 9 of 72
latest reply

thank you, I understand they are out to make money but to charge fees for shipping and a tax that I never wanted to charge in the first place, how can they justify charging me 12.9% on funds That I do not receive. If a seller is charging more than it cost to ship they sell the labels balance out the amount we collect and I would be fine with that. 

Message 10 of 72
latest reply

what if the items you sell don't require any sales tax. How is that justified.

Message 11 of 72
latest reply

For the 1,121st time, Ebay charges on the total sale. Figure approximately (averages over period of time) 15% cost then you will no longer have to worry about getting a lawyer.

Message 12 of 72
latest reply

Your right. it's just me, membership to Ebay is down 37% since they began taking over from paypal  I wonder what their reasons for leaving were?

Message 13 of 72
latest reply

@micar_9439 wrote:

what if the items you sell don't require any sales tax. How is that justified.

If you sell to a buyer in a state without a sales tax or if the buyer purchases an item that is exempt from tax (for example clothing in my state), no sales tax is collected for remission to my state and as such, the seller isn't charged a fee on tax that isn't collected. 

albertabrightalberta
Volunteer Community Mentor

Message 14 of 72
latest reply

To be honest, I don't know why you are complaining.  You have sold 3 items, and have 4 items for sale.  About 2 years ago, I sold 1 computer.  Free shipping, free returns.  Buyer return it.  It happens.  And this happen (return of computer), when I was abroad on 1.5 months.  I paid $150 for shipping both ways.  Did I let this bother me on my vacations.  Yes, just for couple of minutes.  After that, I just continue to party.

Good luck on your selling journey.      

Message 15 of 72
latest reply