cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Feedback extortion system

I've been a member here since 1998.   Buyer and seller.   100% +ve feedback.

I recently purchased 3 items (one listing) where one was SNAD.     The seller admitted they should not have specified it was "in excellent condition".  Yet they refused to correct the issue.  I was very surprised.  

I told them I'd give them a final chance to make things right before I left feedback,  they told me if I left negative feedback they would report me for "feedback extortion".

I did leave negative feedback.   Within 5 minutes of leaving it I had an email from eBay "eBay policy breach: Feedback Extortion; the feedback you left has been removed".

I contacted eBay customer service and amazingly got someone who seemed competent.  Without me ever asking they told me they had reviewed the messages between the seller and I and informed me that my feedback was legitimate, the sellers report was invalid and they were filing a case to have the feedback reinstated and I'd hear back within 24/48 hours.  

Of course 5 days have passed and I've heard nothing.   I contacted them again today,  this time the agent was not so good.  They muttered something about the case being "pending" but they were so unsure of what they were saying I wasn't going to rely on it.

They did press me to file a case.  They filed it on my behalf requesting a return but in the text they said I wanted a partial refund for the one item that was SNAD.   They assured me the seller would issue the refund. 

I told them this was unlikely based on their intransigence.

Shortly after I get an email "The seller has asked eBay Customer Service to review this case and make a final decision" followed 5 minutes later by an inexplicable message saying:

"You were issued a refund. We understand that you have returned your item because it wasn't as expected. We've issued you a refund for both purchase price and the shipping costs.  There was concern that this item was returned to the seller in a different condition than how it was shipped. As a courtesy for this case, you have been issued a full refund by eBay. For future returns please ensure that the item is returned in same condition as it was received"

So was the seller dinged for this?  I find it hard to believe eBay covered the cost.   

This message is so bizarre as clearly nothing was returned.   I continue to be amazed at eBay as when you think about it most disputes must fall into a couple of dozen groupings.   It's not rocket science yet their agents make it feel like it is.

Message 1 of 16
latest reply
15 REPLIES 15

Re: Feedback extortion system

I don't think even mentioning feedback is appropriate for either party during a transaction.  I won't respond to that at all.  This is a tricky situation, since you obviously didn't want to return your purchase.   It's a fine line between blackmail and solution when that happens.

Message 16 of 16
latest reply