cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Feedback box not autofilling

@Tyler @trinton

Per ebay blue, I'm starting a new thread from the weakly discussion board.  My complaint is the new feedback page, from the seller hub, the feedback box is no longer an autofill box.  What I mean by that, because Tyler certainly did not understand, is in Frefox and Chrome (and I'm sure IE, but who uses IE) on the old feedback page when you typed a letter into the box for the written feedback, it would autofill from previously written phrases.  So if I previously typed, "Fast shipping, well packaged, thanks!" and I typed "F" it would show me every phrase that started with F and I could click on it and it would auto fill in the rest, so time and energy was saved.  I had a few different feedbacks for my sold items and bought items, but now I have to manually retype them every time I leave feedback.

Well, I'm not wasting my time doing that, and at the end of the day, feedback is meaningless on ebay anymore. This is an html issue, the box has been changed.  When I sign into ebay, just typing the first letter of my user name and it autofills in for me, and FF and Chrome remember my password for me, saving me time.  Why has ebay made this change? What purpose does it serve, other than incompetent programmers not know what they are doing.

Message 1 of 20
latest reply
19 REPLIES 19

I don't use seller hub so can't see what the issue (or any potential workaround is).

The autofill feature works fine for me in Firefox 3.6.24 and 31 on the new single feedback pages (although I had to do some import/export work to migrate my saved feedback comments from the old feedback form to the new one).

I can't tell if it works in FF52 because I don't use it and therefore have no history stored and only have one feedback to leave I can experiment with. The input line below came from FF52 and is exactly the same form as those I see in FF3.6.24 and FF31, so I'd expect autofill would work. That means you have something else working to prevent it.

If you want to provide a snapshot of the raw code for the feedback page input box in question, I'll look at it and see. What is needed isn't a screenshot, but instead a dump of the element using the built in Firefox Web Developer tools inspector mode.  (the following is based on what I see not in seller hub) While the feedback page in question is open in Firefox:

1. click on the "positive" button to get an input field where you would type feedback to appear
  2. right click in the feedback input box
  3. choose "Inspect element"
  4. inspector panel should pop open, expand, and highlight the input element line
  5. right click on that "input" element, and select Copy-> Outer HTML
  6. paste that line into a codebox in a message here (redact/obfuscate the numeric info in it with X's as seen below)
<input id="pnnComment-2XXXXX01XXXXX8-19XXXX15XXXX17"
placeholder="Enter comment" maxlength="80" name="OVERALL_EXPERIENCE_COMMENT">

Or just follow steps 1-4 above and look at the input element code you see in step 4.

Does it look like what I posted in the box above?

Are there additional attributes like "autocomplete=yes" or similar?

Message 2 of 20
latest reply

@mongoose26 wrote:

@Tyler @trinton

Per ebay blue, I'm starting a new thread from the weakly discussion board.  My complaint is the new feedback page, from the seller hub, the feedback box is no longer an autofill box.  What I mean by that, because Tyler certainly did not understand, is in Frefox and Chrome (and I'm sure IE, but who uses IE) on the old feedback page when you typed a letter into the box for the written feedback, it would autofill from previously written phrases.  So if I previously typed, "Fast shipping, well packaged, thanks!" and I typed "F" it would show me every phrase that started with F and I could click on it and it would auto fill in the rest, so time and energy was saved.  I had a few different feedbacks for my sold items and bought items, but now I have to manually retype them every time I leave feedback.

Well, I'm not wasting my time doing that, and at the end of the day, feedback is meaningless on ebay anymore. This is an html issue, the box has been changed.  When I sign into ebay, just typing the first letter of my user name and it autofills in for me, and FF and Chrome remember my password for me, saving me time.  Why has ebay made this change? What purpose does it serve, other than incompetent programmers not know what they are doing.

New computer and IE was already there, so I am back to using it.

And autofill is not working for feedback.

Also, at the bottom there is an icon for Amazon which I thought was funny.

Message 3 of 20
latest reply

Have we all gotten so lazy that we can't type out a few words any more?
Message 4 of 20
latest reply

I read the weekly chat with ebay  today, November 15, and someone stated that if you left feedback using the Seller Hub, the feedback statements that are often used are still available.

I use the Seller Hub, with Google Chrome, Version 61.0.3163.100, and all of my previous feedback that I use are still available.

disneyshopper
Volunteer Community Member

Message 5 of 20
latest reply

@ripcityresell wrote:

Yes.

Message 6 of 20
latest reply

I'm not so sure it was firefox/chrome...........but rather ebay "storing comments".........which could be chosen once you typed a couple of letters.......  this is different from  the total automation you can do........by choosing to let ebay leave a comment at specified times.

And it was handy when one had a number of feedbacks to leave.

I don't think it's laziness so much as utter bewilderment about why the "enhancement" change means more work.  It's as if no one ever looked at what was in use before the change.  Just like so many other things.........  Remember the board changes?  Why would anyone want the "preview" of messages?

@Anonymous

Message 7 of 20
latest reply

Better half found the solultion........

If you leave feedback from this page in SH

https://k2b-bulk.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?LeaveCustomFeedback&urlstack=5508|Period_Last90Days|Statu...

you can use stored comments as before.

If you use  the "leave feedback" from selling page:

https://www.ebay.com/fdbk/leave_feedback?

you can't...............

Message 8 of 20
latest reply

While a minor inconvenience, this is far below the other mistakes they've made recently.

Why not keep your regular comments in something like Notepad and simply copy from there and paste here?

Forget keeping up with the Joneses. Be the Finklegrubers!
OK kids, time to get the Dodge loaded up again. I hear 'Poppy's By the Tree' calling. This trip might be a long one too.
Message 9 of 20
latest reply

@ripcityresell wrote:

Providing a high level of service to a lot of customers at a low cost requires efficiency, so automation of repeating tasks is important. 

Besides, our time on this planet is short, and there's better uses of it than robotically typing what many people don't even read. 

Message 10 of 20
latest reply

@disneyshopper wrote:

I read the weekly chat with ebay  today, November 15, and someone stated that if you left feedback using the Seller Hub, the feedback statements that are often used are still available.

This is good for single-item orders, but for multiple-item orders, it leaves the same comment for all the items, which looks impersonal & lazy.   I like to leave a different comment for each of a buyer's items, which can't be done with Seller Hub. 

Message 11 of 20
latest reply

If you leave feedback from this page in SH

https://k2b-bulk.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?LeaveCustomFeedback&urlstack=5508|Period_Last90Days|Statu...

you can use stored comments as before.

Those are stored comments stored on eBay. Selling manager thing.

If you use  the "leave feedback" from selling page:

https://www.ebay.com/fdbk/leave_feedback?

you can't...............

I can. No problem in Firefox 31. Stored in Firefox form history same as always.

I wonder if it's newest and shiniest FireFox versions no longer doing so?

Message 12 of 20
latest reply

wrote:

Is it lazy?

I have the problem that I have just discovered that eBay's auto-complete is now only saving the first letter of the phrase which is inserted. Having used eBay for 17 years and been slowly conditioned into the way eBay wanted me to work, I got used to having a drop down list of my previously used comments - the way it worked for about the last 10 of those 17 years. It is reasonable to expect technology to be progressive; i.e. it is not unreasonable to not expect technology to be regressive.

Lazy would be to not leave feedback at all. To be involuntarily presented with a method which seems to work until you discover, two months later, that it has not been working and that almost all the feedback you have left in that time consists of a single letter, E, is not lazy.

I wonder if you ever took a film to the chemist to be developed or had to get up every 25 minutes to change a record or turn it over.

Message 13 of 20
latest reply

wrote:

If you sell only a few items or less a day and are not pressed for time and it is your preference, then sure a personal message is an option.  Please do not degrade others because of your personal preference. Whatever the reason it is used, the autofeedback is helpful and sellers can also use automated preferences that allow 10 different pre-stored comments to be automatically applied as feedback.

"If you found my reply useful, please give it a Helpful.

If my response assisted in resolving your question, please click Accept as Solution."

nana-nana-boo-boo
Message 14 of 20
latest reply

one finger typists need all the help they can get and 70 year old grandparents have enough to do without learning to touch type so up yours

Message 15 of 20
latest reply