cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Feedback Manipulation?

I received this message today from a buyer:

"As a rule, I DO NOT LEAVE FEEDBACK until it has been left for me. I pay INSTANTLY, which means I deserve POSITIVE FEEDBACK at the start. FIVE-STAR FEEDBACK is NEVER LEFT for a seller who fails to leave PROPER FEEDBACK from the start. ONE-STAR FEEDBACK is all I will leave for a seller which fails to provide proper feedback. THANK YOU."

I admit, I'm  slow to leave feedback (she bought the item at the beginning of May). Nevertheless, this seems a bit like bullying to me. Is this  an attempt at "feedback manipulation" according to ebay's rules? I looked into it, but wasn't sure.  Now I don't want to leave her any feedback at all. I would rather take a negative feedback than cow down. Oddly enough, she has a feedback score that's double mine. I wonder how many people she threatened to get that amount?

What would you guys do? Thanks for any help.

Message 1 of 27
latest reply
26 REPLIES 26

Re: Feedback Manipulation?

This goes back to my philosophy where I try not to allow someone else behaving badly to cause me to behave badly. If I normally would have left feedback for the buyer but was busy or forgot then I’d go ahead and leave the pointless feedback.

then I’d block the buyer and move on.

Message 16 of 27
latest reply

Why award someone for nasty behavior? All she had to do was write to the seller and ask for feedback, not attack her and shout in caps and ruin her mood. Over a feedback? No way she would get one from me for acting like a 5 year old brat, blocked and reported would be my next move, I might even tell her I am calling eBay to report feedback manipulation and buyer abuse. Ruin her day, let her get upset. People are out of control. I will never reward this behavior and encourage it, you let bullies bully you and watch them escalate. This one seems to have escalated, judging by the hostility and caps. Too weird for words.
Message 17 of 27
latest reply

@the*dog*ate*my*tablecloth wrote:

This goes back to my philosophy where I try not to allow someone else behaving badly to cause me to behave badly. If I normally would have left feedback for the buyer but was busy or forgot then I’d go ahead and leave the pointless feedback.

then I’d block the buyer and move on.

You are very kind and generous, dog, but the buyer said she would give the seller bad feedback because she didn't get it at payment.  Seller doesn't leave at payment.  Seller would only be hurting herself for no reason if she posted feedback now.  Seller isn't behaving badly, feedback is voluntary, so seller can post or not post however and whenever they choose to.  Seller is not not inclined to leave any because of the buyer's bullying, and that is understandable, and the seller does not have to leave any.

Message 18 of 27
latest reply

" I pay INSTANTLY, which means I deserve POSITIVE FEEDBACK at the start. "

"Why award someone for nasty behavior?"

-------

Perhaps there's a difference between rewarding.. and being expedient?

Comparably, at least in the old days

I would have been tempted to message:

"I agree. And I Shipped Quickly, which means I deserve Positive Feedback when I Shipped the Package."

(don't send the above message)

Sigh....

Lynn

Lynn

You love me for everything you hate me for

Message 19 of 27
latest reply

@ifyouloveit wrote:
Why award someone for nasty behavior? All she had to do was write to the seller and ask for feedback, not attack her and shout in caps and ruin her mood. Over a feedback? No way she would get one from me for acting like a 5 year old brat, blocked and reported would be my next move, I might even tell her I am calling eBay to report feedback manipulation and buyer abuse. Ruin her day, let her get upset. People are out of control. I will never reward this behavior and encourage it, you let bullies bully you and watch them escalate. This one seems to have escalated, judging by the hostility and caps. Too weird for words.

And mention that Ebay can read her messages to the seller, which you will ask them to do when you call to report.

Message 20 of 27
latest reply

@*shellys       1:  Block her, and I say her, because what man would care...  2: Report her.  3: Never poke a bear, instead **bleep** her and make her feel bad and waste time questioning her tactics. 4: Write back telling her how sorry that you are and thank her for alerting you to the issue of your software malfunctioning. You had no idea this was happening and that you have it set up to leave  great feedback immediately upon orders being placed. Due to having automatic feedback software set up, that the manual option was disabled. You have been working on this since becoming aware of the problem. 😉  You will continue working on it and if you can't get it fixed you will call a tech to help you and alert Ebay to see if tech support will assist you. If she leaves bad FB see if a removal is possible. Don't respond to FB in anyway but nicely. Enough said, you get the point.  😉     

Message 21 of 27
latest reply

@pargran3 wrote:

Once upon a time down the road from the beginning of the stars they meant something. They no longer do. Have no clue why they even still exist.

If you as a seller want to leave glowing positve feedback for a buyer the instant you are paid set it up that way so you don't even have to think about it.

I am an old hold out. Sometimes I leave feedback right away. Sometimes I don't. Not every buyer deserves positive feedback just because he or she paid. It just is not important. Why do people still think it is?

Radine

Of course it is useless since buyers can only get positive feedback.

But in this case if it satisfies your buyer, a buyer who paid immediately, it would take less time to leave him feedback than start this thread.

In life you have to prioritize your battles.  Some are worth the good fight.  This is a simple appeasement that is one and done.  He is happy.  And you no longer have to think about it.  And it does not cost you anything other than a minute of your time.

Message 22 of 27
latest reply

Buyers on your blocked list can just come back as your stalker under another name.

As far as what he deserves, I would just leave it and then laugh at how he so concerned about something that is totally meaningless.

Message 23 of 27
latest reply

@book-ephemera-emporium wrote:

if they dont leave feedaback by a certain time period it should auto matically be a positive for the buyer

What if the buyer was a scammer, or returned a box of rocks, or harassed the seller, or something like that? How would an automatic positive be useful in that case other than to reward bad behavior?

And are you aware that no matter how bad a buyer behaves, they cannot receive a negative? So sometimes a seller leaves nothing. Think this through!

Message 24 of 27
latest reply

@ifyouloveit wrote:
Why award someone for nasty behavior? All she had to do was write to the seller and ask for feedback, not attack her and shout in caps and ruin her mood. Over a feedback? No way she would get one from me for acting like a 5 year old brat, blocked and reported would be my next move, I might even tell her I am calling eBay to report feedback manipulation and buyer abuse. Ruin her day, let her get upset. People are out of control. I will never reward this behavior and encourage it, you let bullies bully you and watch them escalate. This one seems to have escalated, judging by the hostility and caps. Too I weird for words.

I have encountered bullies on ebay.  I dealt with a vindictive buyer who ruined a very expensive item.  And ebay told me it was a part of doing business.

So you think they are going to do something about this one.  And again, blocked buyers just come back as your favorite stalker.  

Why go t # t for t * t with a disturbed person when in this case you can just appease them and get as far away as possible, laughing all the way afterwards.  It does not cost anything but a minute of your time.  But if she latches on to you, can you imagine all the time you will waste calling ebay and then trying to cut loose from her afterwards, suspicious that every new biider or buyer may be her trying to mess up your account.

Again I pick my battles and the lesser of evil in this case is to leave her the feedback and move on, 

Message 25 of 27
latest reply

@honeysuckle-lane wrote:

@*shellys       1:  Block her, and I say her, because what man would care...  2: Report her.  3: Never poke a bear, instead **bleep** her and make her feel bad and waste time questioning her tactics. 4: Write back telling her how sorry that you are and thank her for alerting you to the issue of your software malfunctioning. You had no idea this was happening and that you have it set up to leave  great feedback immediately upon orders being placed. Due to having automatic feedback software set up, that the manual option was disabled. You have been working on this since becoming aware of the problem. 😉  You will continue working on it and if you can't get it fixed you will call a tech to help you and alert Ebay to see if tech support will assist you. If she leaves bad FB see if a removal is possible. Don't respond to FB in anyway but nicely. Enough said, you get the point.  😉     

Beautiful!  People like this will think they won but never realize you just made a fool out of them.

Message 26 of 27
latest reply

Hi. Thanks for your response. Yes, it does take less time to leave feedback than to start this thread. But time isn't the issue for me. The issue is giving in to what I perceive to be a threat. She needs to know that she can't treat people like this.  I have had a lifetime of dealing with a manipulative parent who had no concern for anybody's feelings but her own. I've heard that people like this need to be put in their place, not appeased. 

Message 27 of 27
latest reply