cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Feedback Manipulation?

I received this message today from a buyer:

"As a rule, I DO NOT LEAVE FEEDBACK until it has been left for me. I pay INSTANTLY, which means I deserve POSITIVE FEEDBACK at the start. FIVE-STAR FEEDBACK is NEVER LEFT for a seller who fails to leave PROPER FEEDBACK from the start. ONE-STAR FEEDBACK is all I will leave for a seller which fails to provide proper feedback. THANK YOU."

I admit, I'm  slow to leave feedback (she bought the item at the beginning of May). Nevertheless, this seems a bit like bullying to me. Is this  an attempt at "feedback manipulation" according to ebay's rules? I looked into it, but wasn't sure.  Now I don't want to leave her any feedback at all. I would rather take a negative feedback than cow down. Oddly enough, she has a feedback score that's double mine. I wonder how many people she threatened to get that amount?

What would you guys do? Thanks for any help.

Message 1 of 27
latest reply
26 REPLIES 26

Feedback Manipulation?

Report the buyer to ebay for feedback extortion.

Feedback is voluntary.  According to her message, you are already slated for bad feedback.  She apparently is waiting for yours before she posts.  Why would you want to post in that case?  She's not going to leave you any feedback until you leave it for her so just don't leave it.

Just my thoughts.  

Message 2 of 27
latest reply

Feedback Manipulation?

if they dont leave feedaback by a certain time period it should auto matically be a positive for the buyer

Message 3 of 27
latest reply

Feedback Manipulation?

@book-ephemera-emporium wrote:

if they dont leave feedaback by a certain time period it should auto matically be a positive for the buyer

Nothing personal but that's just as ridiculous as the posters who suggest sellers should automatically get a positive after a certain period of time.  I've had some nightmare buyers and some nightmare sellers.  I can't leave a neg for a buyer and I don't neg a seller unless he really works hard to earn it.  There's a reason if I don't leave anything.

It's voluntary.

Joe

Message 4 of 27
latest reply

Feedback Manipulation?

Just leave him a 5 star glowing feedback.  If he pays instantly and causes no problem, why not.

Very little work to satisfy him.  

Message 5 of 27
latest reply

Feedback Manipulation?

Don't play the control game. Leave the buyer feedback. It costs nothing and according to many here has no value.

Message 6 of 27
latest reply

Feedback Manipulation?

Once upon a time down the road from the beginning of the stars they meant something. They no longer do. Have no clue why they even still exist.

If you as a seller want to leave glowing positve feedback for a buyer the instant you are paid set it up that way so you don't even have to think about it.

I am an old hold out. Sometimes I leave feedback right away. Sometimes I don't. Not every buyer deserves positive feedback just because he or she paid. It just is not important. Why do people still think it is?

Radine

Message 7 of 27
latest reply

Feedback Manipulation?

The only feedback that a buyer deserves upon payment is "Paid"

As meaningful as "thank you".

Radine

Message 8 of 27
latest reply

Feedback Manipulation?

Sorry, no, because feedback is voluntary and the only option a seller has regarding an unsatisfactory transaction is to post no feedback at all.  Giving a false positive is not the answer.

Sellers have suggested the same thing, but any buyer who thinks a seller is going to get an undeserved positive will be certain to post that neg then.

Sellers can't post a neg on a buyer but they can withold feedback.  It's all they can do if they don't want to lie and give a false positive and reward someone who abused them.

Message 9 of 27
latest reply

Feedback Manipulation?

@tellmemama wrote:

Nothing personal but that's just as ridiculous as the posters who suggest sellers should automatically get a positive after a certain period of time.  I've had some nightmare buyers and some nightmare sellers.  I can't leave a neg for a buyer and I don't neg a seller unless he really works hard to earn it.  There's a reason if I don't leave anything.

It's voluntary.

Exactly.

Message 10 of 27
latest reply

Feedback Manipulation?

@castlemagicmemories wrote:

Report the buyer to ebay for feedback extortion.

Feedback is voluntary.  According to her message, you are already slated for bad feedback.  She apparently is waiting for yours before she posts.  Why would you want to post in that case?  She's not going to leave you any feedback until you leave it for her so just don't leave it. 

I agree it would be worth reporting for feedback extortion, but I'm not sure that she's not going to unload on an unresponsive seller with promised 1-star feedback if her (unknown) deadline expires with no feedback from the seller. In this case, I have a feeling that ignoring her might not end well (though I am not suggesting caving in to her either; I'd try reporting her first).

What does her Feedback Left for Others look like? Dying to know...

Message 11 of 27
latest reply

Feedback Manipulation?

@emerald40 wrote:

Just leave him a 5 star glowing feedback.  If he pays instantly and causes no problem, why not.

Very little work to satisfy him.  

I'm a "leave it last" seller since I started selling 18 years ago.  Very few of my buyers contact me for feedback.  Those who do may get it first but that depends on the way I'm asked. 

I hardly think a buyer who sends a message like that deserves glowing feedback.  And technically he's demanding something not included in the transaction.   Which is a reportable offense.   So the only thing he'd get from me is a place of honor on my BBL. 

Oh, and buyer's can't get stars.

Joe

Message 12 of 27
latest reply

Feedback Manipulation?

But seller did not leave right at payment which the buyer says results in bad feedback after they do get feedback.  Seller is already slated for bad feedback as he can't go back in time to leave the positive at payment that this buyer seems to think she should get.

Message 13 of 27
latest reply

Feedback Manipulation?

@*shellys wrote:

I received this message today from a buyer:

"As a rule, I DO NOT LEAVE FEEDBACK until it has been left for me. I pay INSTANTLY, which means I deserve POSITIVE FEEDBACK at the start. FIVE-STAR FEEDBACK is NEVER LEFT for a seller who fails to leave PROPER FEEDBACK from the start. ONE-STAR FEEDBACK is all I will leave for a seller which fails to provide proper feedback. THANK YOU."

I admit, I'm  slow to leave feedback (she bought the item at the beginning of May). Nevertheless, this seems a bit like bullying to me. Is this  an attempt at "feedback manipulation" according to ebay's rules? I looked into it, but wasn't sure.  Now I don't want to leave her any feedback at all. I would rather take a negative feedback than cow down. Oddly enough, she has a feedback score that's double mine. I wonder how many people she threatened to get that amount?

What would you guys do? Thanks for any help.

ignore.

block.

move on.

Message 14 of 27
latest reply

Feedback Manipulation?

That is a direct violation of feedback and is total feedback manipulation and blackmail. Report this person, please. This feedback bullying has got to stop, and eBay will look at her account. Call them and tell them to read her email to you. Busted. If she leaves you a negative feedback, eBay will remove it. You do not get to leave someone nasty feedback because they didn't leave you any. Feedback is voluntary. She is buying your item, not your approval.

Had she written to you kindly, then all good. That she basically attacked, threatened you and upset you over a feedback rating is ridiculous. Look at her shouting at you in caps. Bully. Think of all the sellers she has attacked this way? Mornings she has ruined. Other people who may have come on here to vent. You lost TIME to this low swinging fruit. Get her where it hurts, her account. I am so over this feedback nonsense.

She lost all due respect and kindness when she attacked you instead of being kind. Time to put this bully in the corner where she belongs, she should not be allowed to do this to another seller. Let eBay know. Else she gets away with it and more sellers get her venom. She would be on my blocked buyer list too. Who wants an unstable person like that, lucky she didn't open up a case against you, want a return, free stuff, a $20 bill in her order................
Message 15 of 27
latest reply