cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Exacty who benefits from hiding our full descriptions?

Since many, most or all of us are finding that buyers must now clickon a link to get the full item description (that we work so hard to make interesting and complete,) my question is, who thought this was a good idea and does anyone really benefit?

The sellers are getting screwed by unnecessary returns, the buyers are frustrated by having to leave the main item page, and ultimately, eBay loses money, sellers and buyers.  Why?

Ebay, are you listening?  **Tap, tap** Is this thing on?

Message 1 of 56
latest reply
55 REPLIES 55

Re: Exacty who benefits from hiding our full descriptions?

Anonymous
Not applicable

Anyone know when and if they are going to fix this? I thought I had it fixed but checked my ebay from  my Husband ebay and my listing are doing this again..I havent had a sell in over a week.....

Message 46 of 56
latest reply

@Anonymous wrote:

Anyone know when and if they are going to fix this? I thought I had it fixed but checked my ebay from  my Husband ebay and my listing are doing this again..I havent had a sell in over a week.....

I cut and pasted this from post 37 on another thread that Tyler from eBay posted...

Just wanted to update everyone on the thread (before I go get Mexican food now, thanks for that by the way) that we got information back on this:

This is a test, expected to run for several weeks. It's targeting a small segment of buyers, and as all selling accounts are also considered buying accounts there were sellers included as well. 

This isn't a permanent change, and will revert once the test has completed. The aim is specifically to see how the same shortened description on mobile expands to full desktop: if it will improve sales conversion, improve the buying-experience, etc. If the test demonstrates measurable adverse impact across the board it is discontinued. 

We'll keep you updated as we have more information!

Message 47 of 56
latest reply

@antiquelorrie wrote:

As a buyer, I am already extremely fed up with this extra step and yes I will not be shopping on eBay much longer. I feel very sorry for the sellers who worked so hard to have a complete description, only to have eBay condense it. This is a horrible move on eBay's part.

How else would they make room for all those other OFF-EBAY type advertisements on your listing pages that have a direct link to the various websites?

Message 48 of 56
latest reply

eBay's editing/condensing of descriptions is bad enough, but the ones they have written for me MAKE NO SENSE.  They randomly pull phrases out of my descriptions!   This results in gobbeldygook for the potential buyer.   I spend time and energy writing as best I can, and it is very discouraging to see what my words become after the eBay software gets done with them.  I am sure that this new eBay practice has discouraged potential buyers from looking any further at my items.

eBay --  ARE YOU PAYING ATTENTION TO THIS?  Do you realize that this new effort of yours is potentially costing you your commissions, not just costing me potentially lost sales?   At the very least, consider making this an "opt out" function.  Or, let the seller edit what the eBay software comes up with so it actually makes sense!!

I've been an eBay seller from the start.  I don't like a lot of things that eBay has done over the years, but I have realized that they are "the boss."  However, it would be nice to have eBay actually listen to what I and others have to say about this issue, which I consider to be a huge problem.  (Sadly, I am not going to hold my breath.)

Message 49 of 56
latest reply

I just updated over 1900 listings in my selling account for the secure web page requirement. See below. It worked.

"Fortunately, the majority of eBay listings are already HTTPS compliant, and HTTPS-compliant listings will continue to be shown as they are today.

Only listings containing non-secure HTTP content will require buyers to click an additional button to see the full item description.

eBay is providing sellers with a tool to check your listings' security. Updating listings to comply with these new security standards will mean your buyers will be able to see your full item description just as they do today.

Making your listings HTTPS compliant

To update HTTP content and make sure buyers can see your full item description in the listing page, follow these steps.

1. Use this eBay tool to identify your eBay listings that contain non-secure, HTTP content.
    1. eBay has also partnered with i-ways and have implemented an eBay token (sign-in) to protect your full inventory of listing compliance being available to anyone publicly. You can view a single item without your password but to get a full download of all your items, you will be required to sign in with your eBay sign-in.
  2. If the tool flags non-secure content, determine if the third-party websites you use to host content, commonly called domains, are compliant with the stronger browser security standards (HTTPS).

You may be able to find this information on the host domain's website or by contacting the domain.

eBay is also working with domains to ensure that as many as possible are prepared for the October updates to strengthen browser security.

3. When you've confirmed that your host domains support HTTPS, find all uses of "HTTP" in your listings and replace them with "HTTPS".

eBay's bulk edit tool can help you make this change 200 listings at a time. In Seller Hub, go to the "Listings" tab, select noncompliant listings, click Edit, then Edit fields, and select Item description. In the Item description field, click the drop down to select Edit listings in bulk - find and replace.

Message 50 of 56
latest reply

Just to add a little to what Ogeechee1 said... I had absolutely nothing in my listings that could be a problem (all basically plain text) except for Froo Cross Sell.  Going through the portion of html for Froo, there's a couple http: still in there.  Correcting them to https: DID NOT work.  Once i unsubed Froo and deleted the Froo Cross Sell block of text from the html page, my listings were back to normal.

Message 51 of 56
latest reply

Worst idea ever

Message 52 of 56
latest reply

@timemachine777 wrote:

@miraclebuyandsell wrote:

Being forced to open a separate page to "See Full Item Description" is a unnecessary inconvenience for both buyers AND sellers. Why was this unwanted change instituted? Ebay: one step forward, two steps back.

eBay wants to make sure that what buyers are seeing on mobile devices, buyers are also seeing on Laptops, and desktops. They are trying to make everything compatible across the board. They said this test will be active for several weeks. What exactly they want to achieve, only they really know. 

I too believe that this is exactly what they are trying to achieve.     Yes it's nice to see everything right there, but is it really that difficult to tap or click on a link to "see full item description"?   Many websites are do that, not just eBay.   

I do agree thought that by shortening our descriptions, it just draws more attention to all the other ads plastered below our listings.   That is more infuriating than anything! 

previously known as boardnpostsid
Message 53 of 56
latest reply

@shoptalkid wrote:

@timemachine777 wrote:

Being forced to open a separate page to "See Full Item Description" is a unnecessary inconvenience for both buyers AND sellers. Why was this unwanted change instituted? Ebay: one step forward, two steps back.

eBay wants to make sure that what buyers are seeing on mobile devices, buyers are also seeing on Laptops, and desktops. They are trying to make everything compatible across the board. They said this test will be active for several weeks. What exactly they want to achieve, only they really know. 

I too believe that this is exactly what they are trying to achieve.     Yes it's nice to see everything right there, but is it really that difficult to tap or click on a link to "see full item description"?   Many websites are do that, not just eBay.   

I do agree thought that by shortening our descriptions, it just draws more attention to all the other ads plastered below our listings.   That is more infuriating than anything! 

This is NOT a test.

This is in response to new browser security protocols.

(I believe that the previous "tests" were working up to this)

https://community.ebay.com/t5/Announcements/UPDATED-Stronger-Browser-Security-Standards-Ahead/ba-p/2...

penguins_dont_fly is a Volunteer Community Mentor
Buying and Selling since 2013

Message 54 of 56
latest reply

@vintageemporium280 wrote:

Since many, most or all of us are finding that buyers must now clickon a link to get the full item description (that we work so hard to make interesting and complete,) my question is, who thought this was a good idea and does anyone really benefit?

The sellers are getting screwed by unnecessary returns, the buyers are frustrated by having to leave the main item page, and ultimately, eBay loses money, sellers and buyers.  Why?

Ebay, are you listening?  **Tap, tap** Is this thing on?

I have noticed that some sellers are putting the descriptions on the front page under the condition of item and putting like New in box or whatever in the description which needs to be clicked on. A way around the extra page. Pretty ingenious.

Message 55 of 56
latest reply

@shoptalkid wrote:

@timemachine777 wrote:

Other websites do it right. They don't open up a new window or tab and they actually still show you what you are looking at.

Ebay just opens a new page for the description only, and you have to flip back and forth to see the basics, or even what you were looking at if you walked away and came back. Embarassing.