cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ever sent a refunding buyer a 'why did you lie about condition' message on 'no return' return?

Some of our items are built to order, 1 of a kind (nobody else makes) product and is set up as 'no returns'. I get a 'return' opened as 'damaged and missing parts'; customer stated it was scratched and the 3 screws were missing ($50 item, $5 shipping included (free)).

I knew something was up, as if it did arrive like that, 99.9% of buyers would state so and then ask for a replacement. This is a 'cover' for a part that is sometimes removed and now gone, from previous owners (fits a vehicle 30-35 yrs old) so he probably thought it was a replacement part, although pictures and title, descriptions obviously state otherwise- but who reads- even titles...right? Anyway....

Sure as shinola, the item arrived, perfect condition, screws were taped up inside the item just as they were sent, so this buyer forced a return and even got me to pay for his return shipping.

Whatever- figured it would happen now and then, but I would like to simply send him a message, calling him out on it and asking him why he thought that was ok to lie about it and force a return as well as force me to pay for his mistake and return shipping?

Thoughts?

ps. I did 'report the buyer', which we all know probably does nothing unless this person is a 'serial' returner.

Message 1 of 12
latest reply
11 REPLIES 11

Re: Ever sent a refunding buyer a 'why did you lie about condition' message on 'no return' return?

As much as I'd like to do that I'd bite my tongue.  The buyer wields the feedback sword.  Stay PROFESSIONAL.  At the most say sorry this was not what you thought it was. "I'll keep my eyes open for an original one for you. "  

Message 2 of 12
latest reply

Re: Ever sent a refunding buyer a 'why did you lie about condition' message on 'no return' return?

Perhaps if more sellers did call out the buyer, it might happen less.  2 weeks down the road, the buyer thinks about it again.  Another month down the road, the buyer thinks about it again.  Most people don't like it when that happens - whether they lie to themselves about why or grind their teeth at the seller for having the gall to mention it or whatever.

Of course, that's one reason why there isn't negative feedback for buyers - it might make them feel bad.

(personal opinion - your mileage may vary)

Not saying 'NO' doesn't mean 'YES'.

The foolishness of one's actions or words is determined by the number of witnesses.

Perhaps if Brains were described as an APP, many people would use them more often.

Respect, like money, is only of 'worth' when it is earned - with all due respect, it can not be ordained, legislated or coerced. Anonymous
Message 3 of 12
latest reply

What would be the point of doing that? 

Would you expect a response like... 

"You're right. I'm so sorry. Please forgive me. Let me pay for the return postage."

I would just let it go.

Good luck to you!

Papa Was A Rolling Stone - The Temptations
Message 4 of 12
latest reply

I'm not sure people who do stuff like that have much of a conscience to poke - being at the center of the universe and all.

“The most common way people give up their power is by thinking they don’t have any.”
— Alice Walker

#freedomtoread
#readbannedbooks
Message 5 of 12
latest reply

No, but I just sent one like that to a seller a couple of days ago who clearly knew the item he sent me was damaged before he shipped it.
Message 6 of 12
latest reply

@pburn wrote:
No, but I just sent one like that to a seller a couple of days ago who clearly knew the item he sent me was damaged before he shipped it.

If the damage happened to occur after posting the listing, he/she avoided a cancellation defect.

Message 7 of 12
latest reply

@corvettestainless wrote:

Thoughts?

My first thought is that it is a waste of time to get emotionally involved in a transaction. 

My second thought is that antagonizing people who have the power to damage your selling ability is not a wise idea. 

Message 8 of 12
latest reply

Yep, no point in pointing out what they already know about themselves and people who do stuff like this could give a hoot.

Message 9 of 12
latest reply

Probably most liars already know they are liars. 

I'd just forget it.    

Message 10 of 12
latest reply

@dirk12955 wrote:

Probably most liars already know they are liars. 

I'd just forget it.    

Some even brag about it.

“The most common way people give up their power is by thinking they don’t have any.”
— Alice Walker

#freedomtoread
#readbannedbooks
Message 11 of 12
latest reply

You're probably right, as were most posters who responded. If anything, maybe they think about it 'next time' they do something like this, even in their tiny 'the world is all about me' mind? 

Message 12 of 12
latest reply