cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Even eBay says "Too many items specifics"

eBay finally agrees with sellers, there are "too many item specifics."

This came up in the listing frame when I tried to fill in all of the stone attributes on a jewelry item with the words, "no stone."

Web capture_8-8-2023_113227_www.ebay.com.jpeg

Message 1 of 14
latest reply
13 REPLIES 13

Ok .. when it comes to item specifics I usually stick with the required ones. The recommended ones, not so much. Makes the selling page look to busy IMO.

Message 2 of 14
latest reply

But those offshore sellers just love to fill out every.single.field.

Even if it is with spamming keywords = )

"If a product doesn't sell, raise the price" - Reese Palley
"If it sold FAST, it was priced too low" - also Reese Palley
Message 3 of 14
latest reply

I love spending 30-40mins clicking around on a 6$dvd..especially when they all seen to vanish or change days or hours later..

Message 4 of 14
latest reply

I have run into this.  You need to remove an entire category of specifics, not specifics from within different areas of specifics.  Figure out what category is the least important or the most redundant, remove the category, and you'll be golden.

Message 5 of 14
latest reply

Hilarious! 

Message 6 of 14
latest reply

I was able to petition for more item specifics, and I won!!! 

"I gotta have more item specifics"

-SNL Skit in alternative universe

Message 7 of 14
latest reply

I try not to use too many item specifics even though I get those emails that eBay wants me to. 

In a specific pool there is limited coverage of your item. Only those looking for something very specific will see your item. I prefer the general pool where everyone can see it. 

Message 8 of 14
latest reply

@idealgems1 

I also sell jewelry and it's a mess.  How many times can they ask about the size, the color, the main stone and of course, diamonds?  If I had diamonds in any of the items I make & sell I sure the heck wouldn't be selling them here on eBay with all the scammers. 

They need to allow the seller to select what is appropriate for the item and it's content.  To me eBay is just ignoring it and jewelry is a very big category here.  I would think they would be more hands on with the specifics, especially if you have something that needs to be authenticated.  PS  Nice shop!! 😊

Happy Selling!

Message 9 of 14
latest reply

@iamonourside wrote:

This came up in the listing frame when I tried to fill in all of the stone attributes on a jewelry item with the words, "no stone."

That's kind of funny - haven't seen that one.

I have to ask: why were you filling out stone attributes on an item without a stone?

GLORIOUS!

Confused about the switch to eBay discounted shipping? Read this discussion to make an informed decision about opt in / opt out.
Message 10 of 14
latest reply

@iamonourside wrote:

Wow - Love it - My guess is a group of monkeys hammering away on keyboards could get this site running better than the paid employees...

Message 11 of 14
latest reply

@iamonourside wrote:

About the worst thing you can do is fill up Item Specifics that are NOT relevant to what you are selling

with garbage like "no stone"!

Fill in the REQUIRED Item Specifics, skim over the Recommended Item Specifics and fill in the ones that ACTUALLY APPLY to what you are selling and leave the rest blank.

That would be BLANK as in empty, unfilled, nada, zilch........

Message 12 of 14
latest reply

I've had that happen when I picked sell similar on someone else's listing, it told me the limit was 45 item specifics.

Message 13 of 14
latest reply

@ckimodog 

Thanks!  Yes, the jewelry category is a hot mess.  I have a non-compete agreement with the jewelers who bought our store, but eBay is a specified loophole for our retirement.  Plus, after 40 years, we are done with filing state sales tax forms and eBay takes care of that part of the business.

I look at the jewelry category as a sleeping giant that eBay can't get right.  It could be like the automotive department that they advertise and everything.  The trouble is that they won't put someone in charge of the category that is an industry professional that can clean up the obviously fraudulent listings regardless of whether they were created out of ignorance or malice.  And someone who recognizes things like how stupid and redundant some of their specifics ideas are!

And PS...nice store too!

Message 14 of 14
latest reply