cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ebay says Cyber Monday was its biggest sales day ever

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/ebay-says-cyber-monday-biggest-223342273.html

Just read this.  We did so poorly the whole weekend.  On cyber monday, we did half of what we did last year.  Tuesday and Wednesday so far is not any good.  

How did you guys fare over the weekend.  I keep repeatedly hearing from many sellers who did not do well over the weekend.  So who brought in the sales for e-bay?  The chinese companies everyone complains about?  

Would love to hear how you guys did.   If the link above does not come thru.  it is on yahoo news on 11/28/17.    thanks.

Message 1 of 57
latest reply
56 REPLIES 56

Re: Ebay says Cyber Monday was its biggest sales day ever

Terrible. I was number one in the feed for one of my top sellers and now I am suddenly nowhere to be found in the feed. My history on it was 100% feedback on 384 sold so far. Absolutely bizarre and seems like a lose-lose for ebay too. That bracelet represented 25% of my sales and now nothing. Logic seems to be out the window. I was told by ebay that the number of impressions had exceeded what I was allowed even though I am still using promoted listings. 

Message 16 of 57
latest reply

@lthomas2836 wrote:

Terrible. I was number one in the feed for one of my top sellers and now I am suddenly nowhere to be found in the feed. My history on it was 100% feedback on 384 sold so far. Absolutely bizarre and seems like a lose-lose for ebay too. That bracelet represented 25% of my sales and now nothing. Logic seems to be out the window. I was told by ebay that the number of impressions had exceeded what I was allowed even though I am still using promoted listings. 

What did ebay mean that you had exceeded the allowed number of impressions? Or did they mean just that? And they decided to throttle you? 

Message 17 of 57
latest reply

I did horribly.  However right before Thanksgiving an ebay rep was helping me with a setting because I had 1 item out of hundreds that did not double the weight and calculate the shipping correctly and this one setting meant to fix that....what she did was have me select the buttom that only always a buyer to buy 1 item every 10 days. Even after I spoke with ebay and we thought we fixed it, it was not, it was not till Sunday that it was fixed so I am not sure if my poor sales were due to that setting or just bad sales. It has not been a good month and it is only 7 December.

Message 18 of 57
latest reply

Sorry to hear that.  I think mostly all of us small sellers did bad that weekend and again last weekend.

We do see light pickup since we are selling jackets and coats.  However, volume still way down compared to last December.  This is normally our biggest month because of the higher dollar items and volume come in play --- couple of days we did regualar days before things went south --- not december holiday good like preivious years where 400-800 dollar days are normal.   We have yet to cross over $300 day yet.  Guy bought something yesterday to make 324 dollars -- only to change his mind today.

And we ended up with five -- I mean large dollar returns from last two weeks of November --- that is how our holiday season started --- 2 or 3 buyers I am sure bought to wear and return.  That is the kind of selling we have any more because e-bay makes it so easier for buyers to buy, wear and return.

Ok - hope rest of december brings more sales to all of you.  We did end up with an extra weekend because Thanksgiving came early and Christmas falls on a Monday.  Best wishes to everyone and happy holidays.  Cheers.

Message 19 of 57
latest reply

I bet that if they had pushed Small Business Saturday, Cyber Monday would have been their second biggest day of sales ever.  Then again, had they done that, their golden children (aka the big box stores, Chinese garbage sellers, and the other "mega" sellers) would have pitched a butthurt fit because it wasn't all about them.

If it works, sell it. If it works well, sell it for more. If it doesn't work, quadruple the price and sell it as an antique.

-- Ferengi Rule of Acquisition #80
Message 20 of 57
latest reply

We sell mainly coins, sales are slow compared to the last two years. This is only our third year selling coins. We done some dishes and clothes about five years ago, but really got into selling on ebay 3 years ago. This whole year has been slow we had maybe 3 good months from then on we kept trying to get more sales. Re taken pictures changing the listing lowered the prices on some items but still slow in sales.
Message 21 of 57
latest reply

What a crock of ....Cyber Monday.....Waited all day for one flipping sale.... Not even one.

Message 22 of 57
latest reply

I highly doubt that. All weekend ebay eliminated the Guarenteed Delivery advertisements unless you're doing same day shipping. I use 1 day shipping and the ad disappeared all weekend from Friday till Yesterday. Just woke up and the Guarenteed Delivery advertisement is back. Ebay didn't want the numerous $5 vouchers in case the post office got overwelmed.

But I did notice last night ebay had a 10% coupon for Cyber Monday for a few hours, not all day, but a few hours last night minus high tech items not included. So yeah that explains it all right there....high tech had record sales but as for them ebay screwing the pooch, that would be us small sellers. I had the worst weekend in my store history (8 years in business) But last Wednesday and Thanksgiving, it was looking promising, but then ebay rid of Guarenteed Delivery ads and it went down hill.

When customers can't get guarenteed delivery that's advertised all year except this weekend, then customers shop elsewhere where it is, such as other sites (competitor's of ebay) And when ebay noticed sales down, the coupon was released. There's a reason why ebay stock is the cheapest stock in the market exchange $28 vs others who are multi hundreds. Even handmade crafts on other sites stock (ryhmes with Betsy) their stock is over $50....investors know ebay is full of liars and unprofessional morons running this place, and the sales this past weekend and that annoucement just keeps proving our point.

Message 23 of 57
latest reply

We did 0 on cyber Monday.  1 sale all month.  1 fake sale that was cancelled.

Message 24 of 57
latest reply

Original thread  from 2017

Interesting article here: (2018)

https://www.bloomberg.com/opinion/articles/2018-11-26/cyber-monday-success-for-retailers-rests-on-th...

talking about how narrow the items array of items bought on Cyber Monday..

Message 25 of 57
latest reply

@dhbookds wrote:

Original thread  from 2017

Interesting article here: (2018)

https://www.bloomberg.com/opinion/articles/2018-11-26/cyber-monday-success-for-retailers-rests-on-th...

talking about how narrow the items array of items bought on Cyber Monday..

What I found interesting was the article below that one titled "Black Friday Is Now Retail’s Digital Stress Test".

Specifically this paragraph:

"MASTERING THE MOBILE EXPERIENCE: The battle for your Black Friday dollars is increasingly playing out in the palm of your hand. And that’s a challenge for retailers, because conversion — the rate at which people go from browsing to buying — tends to be lower on these devices than on desktop PCs. In other words, smartphones are chock full of abandoned digital shopping carts. If retailers want to get you to actually spend money this holiday weekend while you’re killing time at the airport or second-screening at Grandma’s house while watching football, they have to up their game on mobile. That means fast page-load times, fewer steps in the checkout process, and better personalization that serves you the goods you’re most apt to buy."

The easier you are to offend the easier you are to control.

We seem to be getting closer and closer to a situation where nobody is responsible for what they did but we are all responsible for what somebody else did. - Thomas Sowell
Message 26 of 57
latest reply

@true-blue1,

You responded to a year old topic, and the person you replied to hasn't been around in months.  Since you sell mostly coins a colectible item, your sales may pick up a bit in the next few weeks.

The link provided by dhbookds explains a lot about Cyber Monday or the whole Thanksgiving weekend shopping trends.  People do use those days to snatch up bargains on the most popular items for the season. In some cases it is because the best discounts for high ticket items are given.  It is also because very popular items are not only discounted but still available. 

For some items, buying one or more hot item just after Thanksgiving, can lead to a turn around profit in the hundreds of dollars a few weeks later.  The seasonal release of the new Xbox a few years ago more than proved that, when by Dec. 17 people were paying double the price and more for one.  One person auctioned one starting at $650 for 3 days and sold it for over $900.

Because I sell vintage and new old stock items, mostly in the toys and hobbies category, I do not expect much in the way of sales from Thanksgiving through Cyber Monday.  I received very few page views in the last few days, but last night they started climbing. I did not list any auctions at all after last Monday, but the ones that started last night already have watchers.  My best holiday sales items will start tonight, and if things run they way they have over the last few years, I should do well.

"THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS FOOLPROOF, BECAUSE FOOLS ARE SO DARNED INGENIOUS!" (unknown)
Message 27 of 57
latest reply

@karmy2005 wrote:

I'm doing quite well myself. I'm up 62.3% from a month ago and 93.9% better from a year ago. Cyber Monday was above average for me, but nothing special. Although I have an anchor store, I was a small seller like everybody else on here at first. It takes a lot of time, commitment, and planning to get to where I'm at. I spend somewhere around 2-4 hours everyday, 14-28 hours a week, doing something ebay related like listing, answering questions, pictures, sorting thru items, shipping, and researching.

There are ways to get more exposure for your items, if you know how to get it. If you don't know how to get more exposure, do some researching on that. Having a good business plan is the key to success. I see a lot of people trying to copy the way I sell stuff on Ebay all the time. They usually don't succeed cause they don't know my entire business plan. People will only see about 50% of my business tactics which is visible on Ebay while another 50% isn't visible to anybody other than me. Even my best friend is trying to copy me. He knew most of my business tactics, but even that wasn't enough to help him. My advise, it's better to come up with your own business plan instead of copying from somebody else.

Curious, how do you make money when the cards are inexpensive and you are not making it on shipping? Not a criticism, just wondering. 

Message 28 of 57
latest reply

We did poorly also.  Did not compare in any way to last year.  Guess china did good.  Best regards

Message 29 of 57
latest reply

Sometimes stories like this are just propaganda. I dont believe anything I hear now a days. If it gets on the news The Best Day Ever. People think OH- I had better go check ebay.  Which is ok. If it drives them here. But so many times, I have seen this game play out. Even locally. A story on the news about a cute small business... doing so great. Then whamo a month later, closed.

Message 30 of 57
latest reply