cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ebay relisted something that I already sold and it sold again.

This time is was something I recently sold so I was able to find it as being sold 

I sold something a couple years ago and somehow, it was relisted and sold again.  The 1st sale was so long ago that I couldn't find anything on that sale.

I told the buyer about what had happened and refunded them but still they gave me NEG feedback. 

This time the item was previously sold just a month ago and resold today. I've googled this question and as far as I can tell Ebay says it's my responsibility to work it out with the buyer.  Why did this happen and why is it my problem? 

Someone will have to pay for some sort of transaction. Who's responsible? Who loses, me or the buyer if I give them a refund and hopefully they are understanding and don't give me NEG feedback??

Message 1 of 14
latest reply
13 REPLIES 13

Re: Ebay relisted something that I already sold and it sold again.

This has been happening for years.

All you can do is explain to the buyer what happened and cancel the order as out of stock and refund.

Have a great day
Message 2 of 14
latest reply

Hi @udoittwo 

I agree with @kensgiftshop , "ghost" relistings have been happening for a long time, I've had a few too.  Handled them in different ways.  Once I sent the customer some like items with a note explaining the situation and that they could file a return if they were not satisfied with what I sent them ... never heard from them.

Let me add that back in 2018 I opened eBay to find a new page layout I had never seen before ... I took a screen shot and posted about it.  Some older members said, that's not a NEW page layout, it is the My eBay page from 2008!  Now how does THAT happen?  an old page layout shows up 10 years later????

Regards,
Mr. Lincoln - Community Mentor
Message 3 of 14
latest reply

A couple months ago I ended 30 listings and then relisted them. I noticed I still had one listing in my "unsold" file. I thought that was odd so I went and tried to "relist" just that one. I got the message "it looks like this is a duplicate listing"....OK, that is really odd. I went to my active listings and sure enough...it DID relist but also stayed in my "unsold" items too.... so if that item sold and I ended several more and then relisted all in the "unsold" it would put that item back in my active listings again. There is definitely a bug in the system and this scenario may be what is happening to people on these "ghost" listings.

Message 4 of 14
latest reply

I see no recent negative feedback.

Sellers do drafts...I do...and sometimes I do make a mistake and I might have more than one draft but accidentally list two as a draft for sale. Sellers are not perfect. 

"work it out with the buyer"...besides a refund I do send the buyer something for free out of my listings within the price range. I work with the buyer. Its my mistake...not the buyer.

Honestly, have I or you ever looked at all are listings lately. I have not.

One has to look at listings as well as the pile of items we are selling...have you actually looked at everything for sale plus the listings...I don't have the time.

I don't "nickel and dime" a buyer...my mistake and I will send something for free. It has worked so many times...buyers don't leave any feedback usually which includes negative feedback.

Message 5 of 14
latest reply

It’s sometimes easy to screw up and relist something you do not have anymore. Never had ebay relist something we sold like that. More than likely you made the mistake of relisting it.

Message 6 of 14
latest reply

I have to go over my inventory on the site and where I store merch every week to be sure we have all we say we have.

Message 7 of 14
latest reply

@vintagecraze50 wrote:

It’s sometimes easy to screw up and relist something you do not have anymore. Never had ebay relist something we sold like that. More than likely you made the mistake of relisting it.

@vintagecraze50   I had items Relisted several MONTHS after they had sold ... can't do that by accident when they are on the Sold list and not in either Drafts or the Unsold file ... until it happens to you it's hard to believe it can happen.  

If you didn't read my post up thread in 2018 I had what I thought was a new My eBay page show when I logged on to my eBay account ... I took a screen shot and posted here about it ... some older members said it wasn't a new page, it was a 2008 page!!!  Now how does THAT happen?  a 10 year old page showing up?

Regards,
Message 8 of 14
latest reply

I just sold an LP on another account that was sold and shipped over a year ago.    

No way I mistakenly relisted a sold item.  

Not the first time it's happened to me.   

Message 9 of 14
latest reply

@dirk12955 wrote:

I just sold an LP on another account that was sold and shipped over a year ago.    

No way I mistakenly relisted a sold item.  

Not the first time it's happened to me.   

@dirk12955   I know, it's hard to believe it until it happens to you and you are like, "What???" 

Regards,
Message 10 of 14
latest reply

@mr_lincoln I had that happen not long ago. I logged in and I saw the ebay listing page from about 10 years ago. It had the price per photo under each photo box (I think .25 per photo) and other odd stuff I haven't seen in years! 

Last time I sold something that already sold, (over a year ago) I found the email where it had sold, sent a screenshot to my buyer and explained that it should not have shown up for sale since it had already sold. I still got a negative. Ebay takes no responsibility. It has happened to me several times over the years, just like listed items that don't sell but are no longer listed....

Message 11 of 14
latest reply

@downrightspecialkids wrote:

@mr_lincoln I had that happen not long ago. I logged in and I saw the ebay listing page from about 10 years ago. It had the price per photo under each photo box (I think .25 per photo) and other odd stuff I haven't seen in years! 

Last time I sold something that already sold, (over a year ago) I found the email where it had sold, sent a screenshot to my buyer and explained that it should not have shown up for sale since it had already sold. I still got a negative. Ebay takes no responsibility. It has happened to me several times over the years, just like listed items that don't sell but are no longer listed....

@downrightspecialkids  

No eBay will not take responsibility nor will they admit that anything like ghost relistings can happen.  They would HAVE to agree that old pages show up after YEARS because we can take screen shot ...  

Regards,
Message 12 of 14
latest reply

@mr_lincoln Oh, I wish I had thought to take a screenshot! Although, I could see ebay saying it was a photo/ doctored screenshot from 2013! 🤣

Message 13 of 14
latest reply

@12345jamesstamps wrote:

Sellers do drafts...I do...and sometimes I do make a mistake and I might have more than one draft but accidentally list two as a draft for sale. Sellers are not perfect. 

What I've done before was make a "Sell Similar" listing from another listing and forgotten that the listing I did "Sell Similar" from had a quantity of more than one, which then carried over into the new listing. Fortunately I've caught my mistakes and corrected the quantity, but it's not hard to see how something like that can happen.

Message 14 of 14
latest reply