cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ebay monitoring emails & suggesting I wasn't truthful with a buyer

I'm selling some sports trading cards that my ex- left behind over 20 years ago. I haven't collected cards since 1996, so I'm rusty on how some sets were sold in Series I & II. 

I misidentified a complete Series I set as a complete set.  Buyer notified me via "my messages" and I sent a message, saying, "Sorry, shows my lack of knowledge of basketball series 1 & 2. How much do you want as a refund?"

Ebay monitor sent buyer a message, saying, "I think this guy is not truthful" with the transcript of the two messages above!

I realize they want to avoid fraud & deception, but I have 100% positive feedback, & have been selling off & on since 2000.  Has anyone else had a similar experience? I've double checked my current listings to make sure a incomplete set is clearly marked, but I really didn't know that there was 2 series to the set I sent this buyer. 

I offered him half of the purchase price if he wanted to keep the cards, but he suggested he was going to return them for a refund. Shipping them back will cost him more than half of his $10 purchase.

Thanks for letting me vent. 

Message 1 of 21
latest reply
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

Re: Ebay monitoring emails & suggesting I wasn't truthful with a buyer

That's why it's always best to just say sorry and ask them to open a return.

Every word can be used against you.

View Best Answer in original post

Message 7 of 21
latest reply
20 REPLIES 20

Why is that buyer paying for return postage? Sounds like a snad case to me.

``````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````

“Never pick a fight with an ugly person. They don’t have anything to lose.” ~Robin Williams
Message 2 of 21
latest reply

@selumom wrote:

I'm selling some sports trading cards that my ex- left behind over 20 years ago. I haven't collected cards since 1996, so I'm rusty on how some sets were sold in Series I & II. 

I misidentified a complete Series I set as a complete set.  Buyer notified me via "my messages" and I sent a message, saying, "Sorry, shows my lack of knowledge of basketball series 1 & 2. How much do you want as a refund?"

Ebay monitor sent buyer a message, saying, "I think this guy is not truthful" with the transcript of the two messages above!

I've never heard of an "eBay monitor," someone sending comments to one party or another in a message exchange like that. Who exactly was that comment supposedly sent from (i.e. how did the "eBay monitor" sign their comment?) Did your buyer forward it to you?

Message 3 of 21
latest reply

Familiarize yourself with the return process. The seller will be paying for return shipping in a case like that:

https://www.ebay.com/help/selling/managing-returns-refunds/handle-return-request-seller?id=4115

Message 4 of 21
latest reply

I don't know what "snad" means, but he bought 3 sets from me.  He only has issues with one set.  He bought them as buy-it-now & paid individual shipping for each one, but I offered to ship them together & have already refunded a portion of the shipping cost. 

He left good feedback on the two he didn't have an issue with.  I assumed he would pay the return shipping for the set that he wants the refund for! 

My issue isn't really with the buyer, but the eBay monitor who decided I wasn't truthful. How could I have 100% positive feedback if I was the problem!

Message 5 of 21
latest reply

No you will be paying the entire return postage cost, regardless of your return policy.  There is no "eBay monitor" that randomly scans messages for lies. 

Message 6 of 21
latest reply

That's why it's always best to just say sorry and ask them to open a return.

Every word can be used against you.

Message 7 of 21
latest reply

If he pays for shipping them back, that's his choice.

When you receive them, not before, refund in full.

It's up to you whether or not you also refund his return postage. Legally you don't have to, ethically, it was your mistake that led to his disappointment.

At this point he has not opened an SNAD?

If he does, you will be told to send Return Shipping and you will be refunding when the cards are received.

Be prompt about this.

I am wary about the "eBay monitor" part too.

In part because of "this guy" - very informal language from a trained rep.

My profession is writer/editor and I may be over-sensitive to language nuances, but I doubt he has had any discussions, phone or Chat, with anyone from eBay.

I suspect that he is unfamiliar with the Money Back Guarantee, and is making his own process which might include some....prevarication.

Nonetheless, you goofed. We all do it. When you get the cards back, check them for completeness, and refund.

Message 8 of 21
latest reply

Yes, my buyer , Lloyd, forwarded it to me. 

IMG_3202.jpg

IMG_3204.jpg

Message 9 of 21
latest reply

I'm curious if we getting that in the future. ChatGPT message deception monitoring.

Message 10 of 21
latest reply

@selumomAs a seller I would just refund the total cost of this item.

I would apologize and refund the $10.

You have already refunded shipping with combining. You admit you goofed. Just refund and let it go.

In all my years here I also have never heard of any "eBay monitor" that scans messages and accuses anyone of anything. There just is not.

klhmdg  •  Volunteer Community Mentor
Message 11 of 21
latest reply

See the screenshots on the above posts. 

Message 12 of 21
latest reply

In case you can't find the screenshots, here they are again. I've seen chat gpt item descriptions.  I can't see them saying,

I think this guy is not 

Truthful

Caution

IMG_3204.jpgIMG_3202.jpg

Message 13 of 21
latest reply

I see an automated ebay message warning to not do off-ebay transactions.

The "not truthful" part looks like something the buyer typed.

Message 14 of 21
latest reply

Maybe, but the buyer knew I was female & not a "guy," but may be he forgot.

Message 15 of 21
latest reply