cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ebay is damaging itself and sellers using AI's that do not work well

Everyone knows site search on Ebay provides worse results than off site.  Search is broken and theres some AI behind the results generated or hidden.

The incorrect tagging of legitimate items with counterfeit status is damaging sales and seller reputations/accounts.  Also resulting in takedown of legitimate items that results in wasted seller time.  This isn't a trivial issue.  It can happen to any seller.  Its happening to many sellers.

The AI targets sellers improperly, considering there to be problems with their accounts, when no genuine problem or issue exists.  Or its not set up to handle a simple situation and turns it into an account banning situation.  The example is a system generate email or phone call to verify personal info that the seller misses responding to, and within a short time ebay sends a permanent ban email saying the account is a security risk to the site.  In fact a phone call can get the "permanent ban" removed in these cases but the system totally nukes the seller account and all its listings.  The response is incredibly heavy handed and not accurate.

The AI behind helping write listing info is just rearranging words already in the item listing description fields.  The results aren't great and this takes horsepower off the site to run this junk.

All of this AI on the back end takes processing power and could be a factor why we are seeing more and more errors with the site in terms of error/delayed responses to tasks we are trying to accomplish.

Ebay is testing new AI  out on the live system affecting active seller accounts in "test runs/trials".  This is extremely dangerous and its going to damage and destroy real sellers accounts and reputations.  It puts the live system at risk as well.  These new tnings need to be tested offline in a development test environment on dummy accounts thoroughly before going on the live site and affecting seller accounts.

Message 1 of 14
latest reply
13 REPLIES 13

As an IT person, I think you're conflating quite a few systems and processes here and jumping to possible conclusions as to why you might think features or functionality is broken on the site.

As for "AI" counterfeit detection. I'm curious as to the source of this allegation. Has eBay stated they are using AI to detect counterfeits? I've had a few items that were genuine get flagged as counterfeit. I'm not sure what AI would use to determine genuine items from counterfeit. I would think humans were involved, such as private groups using their userbase/friends to target other sellers with the "report" button. I'm more inclined to think that this is more likely the reason rather than an AI bot with god-like powers arbitrarily deciding.

As for the AI description generation. I used it a couple times and thought it was interesting. But like any computer program. Garbage in, garbage out. If you incorrectly fill out item specifics, it's going to be wrong.

The text it generates is too long, doesn't likely contribute to closing a sale, and almost feels like homework to read for any potential buyers.

Message 2 of 14
latest reply

See this link..https://techcrunch.com/2023/07/11/ebay-acquires-product-authentication-company-certilogo/

"If a product doesn't sell, raise the price" - Reese Palley
"If it sold FAST, it was priced too low" - also Reese Palley
Message 3 of 14
latest reply

I Agree with a lot of your post.

I would say the assumption people are making is if the AI is actually part of the decision making process for taking down listings.

The AI could simply be flagging potential listings, and real human intervention could be taking them down.

It is hard for me to take this thread seriously because it's all based on assumptions.

Message 4 of 14
latest reply

Message 5 of 14
latest reply

You think Ebay is Bad,  try other sites.

Etsy removed over 400 listings saying they violated their handmade rule.    I sell supplies not handmade and quite frankly,  the site is over runned with Chinese goods.

Amazon took down my Banana Crepe fabric saying that I did not have permission to sell food.

Message 6 of 14
latest reply

@whatmorefabric wrote:

You think Ebay is Bad,  try other sites.

Etsy removed over 400 listings saying they violated their handmade rule.    I sell supplies not handmade and quite frankly,  the site is over runned with Chinese goods.

Amazon took down my Banana Crepe fabric saying that I did not have permission to sell food.

@whatmorefabric 

All part of a downward progression from when eBay started to recognize (automatically assume) examples like the word ivory being  used and that it was connected to elephant tusks vs a color. That includes using words like Velcrowski (sp intentional) or Onesie-Daisy. There are hundreds of other examples like this happening regularly on eBay unfortunately, as far as I know there isn't an official (public) list of the words in play/banned. Worst part anyone guilty is not really given a chance to amend or correct. Your listing just goes poof in the night.

-Lotz

Message 7 of 14
latest reply

I wouldn't know as I write my own descriptions and do everything myself as I have done for two decades. I see no reason to let someone else fill in my info.

Message 8 of 14
latest reply

Absolutely! eBay's AI system is totally based upon negativity. The metrics of it all is so terribly input,  they're going to have no choice but to come to an end soon. I know this because I've been with eBay since it started almost ...2 years. I built eBay I was an original Power Seller. And they give me no credit whatsoever. It's just repulsive that something that carries the name Artificial Intelligence could be so unintelligent. I sold $100 to $200,000 worth of product every year but instead of looking at that, AI only looks at "problematic" sales.  I had 9-12 problem sales out of 1500 happy sales (I resolved those problems, but because a customer hit the wrong button and got eBay instead of me, it got counted against me.  Totally irrational.  They started choking me out and I've never recovered.  There's noone  in America you can even call for help.  They outsource everything to people who cannot comprehend.  Even if they do remove a negative mark and it brings your count to a healthy number, the system cannot fix itself properly and in essence, you get "nuked.". I had so many panic attacks from flourishing one day, basically shut down the next.  With AI you don't run your business, a machine does.  It's like Communist control, not Capitalism.  No business can flourish this way.  Sad.  eBay should have stayed eBay and not tried to be like Amazon.  I don't know.  I had fun while it lasted.  I raised my family on it.

Message 9 of 14
latest reply

"This issue isn't inherent to AI; it's about the strategic use of AI to shadow ban listings when sellers don't engage in 'pay-to-play' practices or adhere to the prevailing rates, colloquially known as the 'extortion rate.' This typically involves participation in promoted listing and promoted listing plus programs. The more a seller invests, the more visibility their listing gains. Some sellers opt to increase their prices to accommodate the maximum 'extortion rate' set by the Promoted Listings programs, ensuring maximum exposure for their products."

Message 10 of 14
latest reply

I'm writing to propose a proactive strategy for identifying and addressing counterfeit items on eBay, particularly within The Beauty Department. Having observed numerous counterfeits clippers, trimmers, and related accessories, such as blades and clipper guards, being sold on eBay without detection, I believe there's an urgent need to address this issue.

I suggest harnessing the knowledge and experience of trusted top-rated sellers with a decade or more in their respective departments. These seasoned sellers possess a deep understanding of their markets and can serve as a valuable resource in spotting suspicious listings. By empowering them to report potential counterfeits, eBay can proactively initiate investigations, enhancing the overall integrity of the platform.

Implementing such a system could involve creating a streamlined process for trusted sellers to report suspicious activity, ensuring prompt and thorough investigations by eBay's internal teams. This collaborative effort would lead to a more efficient and effective approach to maintaining a trustworthy marketplace for both buyers and sellers.

Additionally, it's crucial to address the issue of sellers offering products at exceptionally low prices. eBay customer support appears to be oblivious to this problem, and collaboration with manufacturers is needed to discover the true wholesale prices. By red-flagging sellers who consistently offer products for a fraction of the manufacturing cost, eBay can deter those who are likely sourcing these items from China for significantly lower prices.

I appreciate your attention to this proposal and believe that by working collaboratively, eBay can continue fostering a secure and reliable marketplace.

Thank you for your time and consideration.

Message 11 of 14
latest reply

I don't like AI on used items. On a used item I want to know any flaws and what's included. 

Message 12 of 14
latest reply

I think after reading your post, the last pzrt of the ebay/amazon comparison, consider this:

The guy in the top spot is from Wal-Mart.  The guy from Wal-Mart with Wal-Mart ideas and ways of doing things (ie at Wal-Mart, was cutthroat and very negative biased/heavy-handed with vendors - ie us ebay sellers on ebay), also considers that "improving ebay" means making it more like Amazon.

Message 13 of 14
latest reply

Hi everyone,

Due to the age of this thread, it has been closed to further replies. Please feel free to start a new thread if you wish to continue to discuss this topic.

Thank you for understanding.

Message 14 of 14
latest reply