cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ebay has sunk to new lows - "final value fee, off ebay transaction"

I have been a seller on ebay since 2000. 19 years I have had the same account. I have sold $10,000 guitars, and lots of expensive things. Never had an issue. Until now. I am being charged a final value fee of $750 for an item I did not even sell, simply based on the fact that a potential buyer gave me his phone number in a message. I believe ebay has become as low as they can, stooping to the level of thievery, and using a made up excuse that they believe you sold an item outside of ebay. And they think I am going to allow this? Ebay has lost their mind if they think I am ever going to sell anything again on their site or pay them anything. Oh will they take me to collections? That is fine, I have zero credit and I keep it that way, and have had many other collections placed on me that went nowhere. Cmon ebay you need to step your game up and start charging people just to look at items on your site, or better yet, why dont you create a membership fee just to join ebay? If you are going to be low life criminals, at least do it on a much bigger level.

Message 1 of 57
latest reply
56 REPLIES 56

Re: Ebay has sunk to new lows - "final value fee, off ebay transaction"

I could care less about collections. and my account does not exist nor does the collection to me. In fact I have a collection on my credit report right now. do you know how much it affects me financially? In no way whatsoever. My life is not built on loans and credit cards, or my "credit score". I make so much money on paypal with my own businesses that I could go get a $10,000 loan from paypal right now, even If I had 10 collections on my credit report.
Message 16 of 57
latest reply

ebay is a pitbull  when collecting fees.  They can sue and if they win garnish your paycheck or make an attachment to your business.

Message 17 of 57
latest reply

The OP doesn't care.
Message 18 of 57
latest reply

naw. they just another business that sells their debt to collection agencys. and collection agency's are imbeciles.
I dont get a "pay check", and nobody can attach anything to me or my money.
if you are afraid of pitbulls, well then maybe that means you haven't hung out with enough dogs...
ebay would have to prove their case in court with evidence and documents to support their case, and the cost to hire lawyers to fight a case for $750 would be far more than $750. I could also counter-sue for taking me to court, making me lose personal time, and creating a fabrication that I used their platform to sell an item that didn't sell on here, and then attempting to charge me.
Message 19 of 57
latest reply

Ebay is primarily a financial business transferring money between two parties and taking a percentage.   The financial sector is one leg what is often considered a organized crime syndicate referred to as the FIRE sector which includes financial services, real estate, and insurance.  You don't pay Ebay and they sell your debt to a collection agency (at about 10% of face value) then you get a lowered credit score which means higher interest rates when borrowing.  If you are like me and rarely, if ever, borrow then they get you with higher insurance rates.  Resistance is futile.  They control the horizontal, they control the vertical.  They own the politicians.

Disclaimer: I am a truther.

Message 20 of 57
latest reply

Just because you list an item and then close the items does not mean you sold it through an eBay link.  You could be doing shows and decided to sell the item at a show and not at eBay because at a show there are no fees.   So in such a case eBay has not business charging a fee.  

The item is yours and you should be able to sell it where you want and when you want.  I list items and then remove from the listing  after deciding  to either keep it or place in my showcase.  That is my right!

Message 21 of 57
latest reply

@lamusicsupply wrote:

and have had many other collections placed on me that went nowhere. 

All right, I'll bite. Smiley Happy Why do you have so many collections placed on you?

Message 22 of 57
latest reply

@lamusicsupply wrote:

Oh will they take me to collections? That is fine, I have zero credit and I keep it that way, and have had many other collections placed on me that went nowhere.

It's probably for the best you are leaving.

If you had an item for sale on ebay...

You got an inquiry from a buyer...

And then you pulled the listing to supposedly "gift" the item to your friend?

That would most definitely qualify as taking the transaction off ebay.

Message 23 of 57
latest reply

I had a potential buyer the other day asking devaluing kind of questions, seemed odd but I responded in short responses.. as it doesnt bother me, whatever. ..but then the last message he says 'ok' followed by 4 lines of contact info.. phone numbers, emails ... .

I think competitors have figured out exactly what you just mentioned, they pretend to be a buyer and then try to trigger bot reaction by sending contact info. 

Message 24 of 57
latest reply

@lamusicsupply wrote:
I don't think they care. This is the same company that would usually always side with fraudulent buyers and would not listen to a word a seller said. waste of time. in fact I called customer service and hung up on the lady as soon as she said something like our policy states. these are not humans. They are robots who answer the phone and read everything off a script. I knew something was going south when I left a seller a negative review a few months ago and he had it removed by ebay, and my review had nothing offensive about it, and when I called them they didn't want to listen to a word I said.

Since ebay has made an allegation of wrong doing, allegations are not facts, perhaps you should consider a timely response, presenting evidence in support of your position.

Message 25 of 57
latest reply

There are two sides to every story. I hope the OP will keep the board posted on how this works out.

When someone is protesting this loudly and doesn't seem to care about rules or processes it makes me wonder a little. It is not a badge of courage to have a couple of outstanding collections or be proud of the fact that you are not showing income you have received.  Just my thoughts with limited information. Proving something didn't happen will be difficult at best.

Message 26 of 57
latest reply

I’m not sure this is something to brag about?

Message 27 of 57
latest reply

"Just for future reference, does this make a difference? I have some local pick up listings. Do I need to remove them and put them on Facebook instead? What the OP experienced is purely wrong! They make a million $ a day legitimately, why do they have to do this nonsense? Thanks for a reply."

I used to have an account that mainly was used for bigger local pickup items only up until this year. 

Recap from what happened to  someone I know that also did a local pickup sale recently(early in the year) and he does like $20,000-$50,0000 a month here usually. He posted a local pickup item and a day before the item actually ran out of time by itself he had a local guy contact him thru ebay and asking for his address so he can see it.  so he obliged and gave it to him.  He also told him that he had to buy it thru ebay because it was posted here if he wanted it after looking at it so he couldn't just take it right away.

In the meantime it runs out by itself.   Not sure if the guy even made it down to look at it yet or what happened there but his store employee went to do relistings and when he got to that item and hit submit, he got hit with a 7 day suspension from listing. Just remember the item ran it's course and he didn't cancel it. 

He made a few phone calls and many hours later he still had to serve his 7 day suspension. It was triggered by a bot.  He even tried  to explain it that he even mentioned in ebay message the guy had to buy it here if he wanted it.  Nope, not good enough. 

according to ebay, you can not give out addresses, phone numbers and something else I cannot think of right off hand thru ebay messages while the item is still listed for sale.  he asked what is the proper procedure and they told him the correct way is have the person BUY IT first, then you can exchange phone numbers and addresses. Then after they look at it and if they decide not to buy it, then you have the customer cancel the sale and you agree to it.

I disagree with that. You know how many throw their phone numbers in their first message right away when they ask about a local pickup item to me? Good thing I don't do them during the winter months and was about ready to start my local pickup listings earlier this spring when this happened to him.  I would have taken a hit too. 

So I don't think ebay is getting anymore of my local pickup stuff anymore. Shame because I made good money from cross country on it but can't make money if you get kicked off for good .

I am actually only using 1 id to list right now and all the others are sitting idle for now. Too many ill-informed bots running this co.  and it is getting worse all the time.  I might fire up 1 more for a short time to get rid of some things but my days might be getting shorter here too, too many changes the wrong way.  Never thought I would say that, but t

Message 28 of 57
latest reply

I believe the blues addressed this.

If someone sends their address or phone number, reply that all transactions must be made through ebay.  I believe this gives you a safe way out.

Message 29 of 57
latest reply

ebay motors listing and transaction have different policies

You agreed to this an all policies by using the site

This is a user to user board not eBay employees.
----------------------------------------------------------------
When people show you who they are, believe them
Message 30 of 57
latest reply