cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ebay has sunk to new lows - "final value fee, off ebay transaction"

I have been a seller on ebay since 2000. 19 years I have had the same account. I have sold $10,000 guitars, and lots of expensive things. Never had an issue. Until now. I am being charged a final value fee of $750 for an item I did not even sell, simply based on the fact that a potential buyer gave me his phone number in a message. I believe ebay has become as low as they can, stooping to the level of thievery, and using a made up excuse that they believe you sold an item outside of ebay. And they think I am going to allow this? Ebay has lost their mind if they think I am ever going to sell anything again on their site or pay them anything. Oh will they take me to collections? That is fine, I have zero credit and I keep it that way, and have had many other collections placed on me that went nowhere. Cmon ebay you need to step your game up and start charging people just to look at items on your site, or better yet, why dont you create a membership fee just to join ebay? If you are going to be low life criminals, at least do it on a much bigger level.

Message 1 of 57
latest reply
56 REPLIES 56

Re: Ebay has sunk to new lows - "final value fee, off ebay transaction"

@pburn wrote:

@mit1999 wrote:

Yes, but if he has a habit of not paying his ebay bill, I do wonder how he would be able to maintain an account for long.

"He" who?

The OP in reply to someone thinking he is a new seller and someone else correcting them saying it could be a posting ID and he may have been selling here a long time.

Message 46 of 57
latest reply

Look at when my account was created : Member since: Dec 30, 2000
"Yes, but if he has a habit of not paying his ebay bill, I do wonder how he would be able to maintain an account for long."
You obviously did not read the part where I said I have always paid my fees. I simply disagree with and will not pay a $750 final value fee for something I did not sell on this site.
Message 47 of 57
latest reply

This is my account. The other is a friends account I was using.
my account is lamusicsupply. I have been on here since 2000
Message 48 of 57
latest reply

@mit1999 wrote:

@pburn wrote:

@mit1999 wrote:

Yes, but if he has a habit of not paying his ebay bill, I do wonder how he would be able to maintain an account for long.

"He" who?

The OP in reply to someone thinking he is a new seller and someone else correcting them saying it could be a posting ID and he may have been selling here a long time.

Oh--I think you may have gotten confused about who was replying to whom. It happens sometimes--it gets a little convoluted now and then. It wasn't the OP who was accused of being a "rookie."

"jvseveur0" told the OP it was a good thing s/he was leaving. Message #23.

"caaztx" then called "jvseveur0" a rookie. Message #38.

I (pburn) explained posting ids to "caaztx." Message #4

The OP actually wasn't involved in that part of the exchange at all. That's why I couldn't figure out to whom you were referring.

Message 49 of 57
latest reply

@sailawayme wrote:
In California, we have a law .... it is their burden of proof that you owe it,

Yeah, and in the meanwhile your credit history goes to the spitter.

Message 50 of 57
latest reply

Using a posting ID instead of your selling ID is especially important if you’re going to be rude or make bad assumptions.

Message 51 of 57
latest reply

I am not using a posting id or a selling Id. They are 2 separate accounts. One is mine, the other is a friends (caaztx) , and I just happen to be signed into my friends when I was responding.
My friends account has nothing to do with anything, she doesn't even sell stuff. My personal ebay account has sold over $25,000 or more in items. When you get to my level come and talk to me.
You got 34 big bad feedbacks! Good for you. Oh look nothing sold. aww. maybe one day you will step up to the big boys level and sell some things. Someone who has never sold anything and is commenting on this is like a 20 year old employee telling a 50 year old entrepreneur how they should be doing something...
Message 52 of 57
latest reply

if you need credit to survive in this world something is wrong. I have rented homes and apartments (around once every year), since I was 17 and I am almost 40, and I never had credit. I have rented homes for $2000 a month with absolutely no credit at all. What got me the rentals was my income and rental history. What else do we need credit for? Hmm, buying a new car? Well if you are buying a new card using credit you are a fool, and you will end up paying almost double the price of the car after all the interest and fees. How about buying a house? Well if you are buying a house with a loan you will be paying the banks for that loan and the cost of your home will be almost double after everything is paid, that is if you spend 30 years in the same house. Credit is designed for people who are dependent on it, such as those who can't pay their bills or pay for things with their own money so they need to borrow from others.
Pay for things with cash. Learn to live without being a robotic slave that believes credit is what you need to survive. The only time I ever needed credit was when I was trying to rent a car, and in that circumstance I found another way, such as uhual, or uber.
Message 53 of 57
latest reply

@mit1999 wrote:

Come on. The OP isnt really going to fold his tent and run away over one $750 bill. The only part he hasnt really thought about is that Ebay is definitely going to get their $750 one way or the other. From what others have said in the past - their Paypal account will just go negative until they make it up again. Since the OP is a big seller - according to him - he should have a new sale or 2 soon enough that the balance will recover so he will not be going to collections at all but he will probably notice that his future sales are $750 lower than he was expecting. At no time is he going to post that fact here of course. He will probably just go silent again.

As for that big long speech about surviving with no credit and no credit history. Sure you can. The problem is you cannot get a mortgage without a decent credit history so you cannot buy any real estate without paying cash. You end up renting your whole life like he says he is doing - $2K a month to rent a house? My mortgage is less than that! - which is fine for some people except that at the end of the month you are back to square 1 and have no equity to show for it. 

Of course the OP has a credit history because the credit companys can build a file on anyone they like. If the OP can be believed then he does have a credit history but it sounds like a pretty lousy one if he really did hide from a bunch of judgements. That would explain why he cant even rent a car and has to resort to Uber everywhere. 

So anyway - the $750 will get recovered by Ebay unless the OP can get them to drop the charge. For $750 you can bet I would be on the phone pleading for a waiver - or at least selling as much as possible to get the balance back up before it goes to collections. Thats probably the best solution for the OP. 

Message 54 of 57
latest reply

I never said the OP would fold his tent.  I always thought ebay suspended you until you paid up.

Message 55 of 57
latest reply

@mit1999 wrote:

I never said the OP would fold his tent.  I always thought ebay suspended you until you paid up.

No - Sorry. i was talking about what the OP wrote.

'Ebay has lost their mind if they think I am ever going to sell anything again on their site or pay them anything.'

Message 56 of 57
latest reply

@mit1999 wrote:

@pburn wrote:

@mit1999 wrote:

"He" who?

Oh, gees. I see now the OP is using two separate ids to post in this thread. My apologies to you for my confusion.

And, yes, as another poster mentioned, both accounts are now sullied with this refusal to pay eBay's fees.

Message 57 of 57
latest reply