cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ebay has sunk to new lows - "final value fee, off ebay transaction"

I have been a seller on ebay since 2000. 19 years I have had the same account. I have sold $10,000 guitars, and lots of expensive things. Never had an issue. Until now. I am being charged a final value fee of $750 for an item I did not even sell, simply based on the fact that a potential buyer gave me his phone number in a message. I believe ebay has become as low as they can, stooping to the level of thievery, and using a made up excuse that they believe you sold an item outside of ebay. And they think I am going to allow this? Ebay has lost their mind if they think I am ever going to sell anything again on their site or pay them anything. Oh will they take me to collections? That is fine, I have zero credit and I keep it that way, and have had many other collections placed on me that went nowhere. Cmon ebay you need to step your game up and start charging people just to look at items on your site, or better yet, why dont you create a membership fee just to join ebay? If you are going to be low life criminals, at least do it on a much bigger level.

Message 1 of 57
latest reply
56 REPLIES 56

I have not had any buyer send me info nor have i done so but isn't there a warning not to do so when they message

This is a user to user board not eBay employees.
----------------------------------------------------------------
When people show you who they are, believe them
Message 31 of 57
latest reply

@lamusicsupply wrote:
I ended the listing because a friend of mine wanted the item. The sell of the item had nothing to do with ebay. I have no problems paying a fee if I sell something on ebay. I have always payed my fees. But to hit me with $750 for something that didn't even sell on their site, well that's a little criminal to me. And if they are going to have rules like this, they should apply them to everyone. Go look at any car for sale on ebay, especially mercedes, literally every car listing has the sellers phone number in it, and I am sure many of those cars are sold locally from those sellers listing their numbers, yet ebay does nothing at all to go after them. Probably because there are so many sellers doing it they would lose so much service/money on their site. So they go after individuals who they think "may" have sold an item outside of ebay. They obviously have to come up with low life practices like this because they are suffering financially in someway, and looking for another way to create revenue.

Look, I hope you can work this out with them, but you have to understand how it looks from their side - you received contact info from a potential buyer and then you ended the item.  How are they supposed to know you did not sell it to that person?

Message 32 of 57
latest reply

Bottom line, sellers cannot control what a buyer messages them, so this is beyond the pale.
Reality is the leading cause of stress.
Message 33 of 57
latest reply

Important: We may charge a fee if you end an auction-style listing early.

Did you read the user agreement?  You agreed to their terms when you joined.

The site tells you they may charge a fee if you end a listing early.   

The fee is to discourage you from ending the listing because  ending the listing may disappoint buyers who put your item on their watch list to bid on later.  Disappointed buyers shop somewhere else!  Plus, it looks suspicious to end a listing right after contact information was exchanged.   

Bottom line is by signing the user agreement you agreed they may charge you a fee if you ended a listing early.   Period.  No reason needed. If you end a listing  they can charge a fee.  You ended early.  Fee was applied.  Pay up.  If it goes to collections you're selling days are ended.   

Seriously, please don't cut off your nose to spite your face.  As much as we dislike the rules we agreed to abide by them and accept the consequences of our actions on the site.  You agree to pay the fees when they're due!  

Message 34 of 57
latest reply

I honestly do not see how it is legal to charge a fee for a service you never provided because you THINK something happened.
Message 35 of 57
latest reply

@myjunqueyourtreasure wrote:
Bottom line, sellers cannot control what a buyer messages them, so this is beyond the pale.

But that does not absolve the sellers from some basic responsibilities like knowing the rules.  If one conducts multi-thousand dollar business here with individual sales in 10k range he'd better not dismiss seller updates out of hand, delete them without reading and thinking about what that might mean for their business

Message 36 of 57
latest reply

I honestly do not see how it is legal to charge a fee for a service you never provided because you THINK something happened.

It's legal because we clicked on "I agree" button.

Message 37 of 57
latest reply

"It's probably for the best you are leaving."
You are correct my dear rookie. Looks like you created your account 2 days ago, and that would lead me to believe you have no experience and/or the level of depth a seller that has 500 positive feedbacks from sells of high level items. I am probably one of the few sellers on ebay that sold things constantly for $1000 to $10,000. My other businesses make 100,000 a year without me even leaving my living room, so ebay never was that important to me. Having been here for 19 years I have seen it constantly roll out new rules and practices which were meant to control sellers, and make more profit for themselves, such as the new "automatic best offer". If you list an item, and remove best offer, Ebay will automatically make it reappear if you don't sell the item in a few days. (this only happens when you use the quick listing tool) Another tactic they are using to control sellers. They don't care if you get $5 for a $500 item, as long as they get their fee. Ebay was going down hill for the last few years, and most high level sellers left this site a long time ago.
Message 38 of 57
latest reply

@kim_y_buran wrote:

It's legal because we clicked on "I agree" button.

Just because it's in a User Agreement doesn't make it legal. That's been proved to be true before now.

Message 39 of 57
latest reply

In California, we have a law that states no debt collection agency can sue us. You have to understand that ebay can collect or try to collect fees that haven't been paid, but they have to follow the FDCRA to do so. Ebay will not collect it, they will send a collection agency after you.
They will send you a letter, you have 30 days to answer that letter, if you don't it is considered valid and can be collected and placed on your credit file.
If you send them a letter asking for validation of the alleged debt, most collection agencies cannot legally validate it and will go away.
Remember it is their burden of proof that you owe it, it is in no way your burden to prove you don't.
They will send you what is called a "dunning letter" trying to scare you into paying, threatening you with law suits, and pretty much death, and 99% of all collection agencies send it hoping you do not know the laws and get scared and pay them.

I have 1 collection on my report right now for $300 for an electric bill I refuse to pay because I did not use that electricity, it was the owners responsibility for a home I rented and he didn't pay it, and it went on my name. I have had other collections from government agency's for speeding tickets and various other tickets that I refused to pay, I have had collections from medical bills I refused to pay because I had insurance at the time, and I was covered, I have had collections from wells fargo because when I was broke one day when I was young and borrowed $800 against the debit card, and never payed it back. Do you know what happened? It all disappeared off my credit report 7 years later. There is a statue of limitations and a collector cannot legally keep that collection on you after 7 years. Also Ebay will write these unpaid fees off as a loss, which means they get a cut on their taxes, they then sell the debt to a collection agency for pennies on the dollar, let's say I owe $750, they will sell it to a collection agency for $75. That collection agency will then attempt to collect the original $750, plus made up fees, when they only bought it for $75. It is a whole racket and low life business. Now me, I have no credit cards, I have no need to get loans, I have nobody I need to borrow money from, so my credit report is non existent to me. I make all my money on paypal, and get that transferred to my bank account. And nobody can legally seize your bank account, unless it is the federal government. They are the only ones that can freeze your accounts. So always pay your taxes. They are the only ones who can get you. At the moment I have $18,000 in my account. Now if these collection agency's had any power, don't you think they would be able to touch my money? But they can't. There are laws protecting us. In fact if a debt collection agency calls you, do not admit you are who you are, because that is admitting to the debt. You tell them you want all correspondence to be by mail and hang up the phone. They are now legally required to send you letters and not call you. Dispute the debt, send them a letter asking for validation. Don't play their little game.
Message 40 of 57
latest reply

@sailawayme wrote:
"It's probably for the best you are leaving."
You are correct my dear rookie. Looks like you created your account 2 days ago, and that would lead me to believe you have no experience and/or the level of depth a seller that has 500 positive feedbacks from sells of high level items. 

Message 41 of 57
latest reply

Yes, but if he has a habit of not paying his ebay bill, I do wonder how he would be able to maintain an account for long.

Message 42 of 57
latest reply

It's disturbing, regardless of the 'may' language in the UA.

In the past, I have ended a listing due to questions or requests from potential buyers that led me to believe that there was a high risk that despite my blocking them, they we're going to find a way to buy my item and possibly end up getting it for free.

Some of those were buyers seeking off eBay deals/barters/pick up/alternate payment methods etc and included sufficient contact information to move communication off eBay.

Now I am going to have to rethink this strategy of simply removing the listing altogether. 

ugh

THIS SPACE LEFT INTENTIONALLY BLANK
Message 43 of 57
latest reply

@mit1999 wrote:

Yes, but if he has a habit of not paying his ebay bill, I do wonder how he would be able to maintain an account for long.

"He" who?

Message 44 of 57
latest reply

don't waste the money getting this done. also there in no way to send it to ebay. Ebay won't change
Message 45 of 57
latest reply