cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ebay does not protect sellers! I'm leaving ebay after 15 years.

This is more of a vent and a caution to those who wish to sell on ebay.

After 15 years of 100% positive feedback I got my first negative score today. 

The short of it is: Buyer potentially damaged some collectable toys I shipped them then turned around and demanded a refund. When I reported the buyer, ebay didn't bother to contact me or investigate, they just told the buyer to return the toys and told me to issue a refund. Now I'm stuck with broken collectables I can't resell and I'm out the money.

I feel betrayed by ebay. I thought there would be better protections in place to protect sellers. 

The nitty gritty details are not important since after browsing the forums for a bit it is clear I am not the only victim who has experienced similar treatment by ebay.

I'm pulling my last auction and will be refraining from selling on ebay ever again.

Beware if you sell on ebay, they will not protect you against shady buyers.

Message 1 of 39
latest reply
38 REPLIES 38

Re: Ebay does not protect sellers! I'm leaving ebay after 15 years.

Buyer potentially damaged

So you don't actually know if the items are damaged and/or unsaleable?

and demanded a refund.

Do you mean he opened a Dispute?

Even if you have a No Returns policy you can demand the return before refunding.

After 15 years you probably know that you cannot have a No Refunds policy.

And if in 15 years you have your first Failed Transaction, you are doing better than half the sellers here.

@harrystyle_5 

No.

EBay does not look at such videos. Who would be able to prove that the video was of the item that was sent?

Message 31 of 39
latest reply

Try not losing your head over negative feedback...its not that big of deal.

I routinely buy from sellers with less than 100%.

The more you sell - the more likely you are to get a crank.

A guy opened a case on a model locomotive I sold him..."no sound" - left a negative.

Since he didn't bother to inquire before opening a case...I just took the return, without question, and resold it for 20 bucks more!

Had he made a simple inquiry, I would have told him to move the "Sounds" switch to "On"

Message 32 of 39
latest reply

I agree .   I have seen it and I am just  finishing up my taxes and leaving after 16 year now too.  I won’t sell nor buy from ebay anymore.  I actually stopped  buying firm ebay well over a year ago and just do Amazon now .    I am just hanging  around waiting for ebay to finish something and then I am gone for good.  Amazon is the way to go to buy and sell or just buy if you don’t have your own brand or items that fit Amazon but there are other sites .  Hey, I’ll make more money if I sell 1 item or nothing on another site.  Ebay seriously went down as a credible company to work with since 2019.   It’s best to walk away and stay for away crime it these days .   Ebay has emboldened and encouraging buyer Fraud with their new policies and the seller protection they advertise and also PIP insurance is all FRUAD in my experience since 2019.  Before that , ebay was ok.  A person would have to be as dumb as a bag  of rocks to sell anything of high value or nice anymore on eBay, at least anything that’s worth value .   Let ebay  become the junk sales site .  Sellers can’t sell anything nice or expensive on ebay anymore.  

Message 33 of 39
latest reply

Look at my eBay seller feedback and you will see "Member since: Oct 06, 2005."

Message 34 of 39
latest reply

I just buy and sell vintage toys and other stuff for my personal collection. If you check my ebay feedback you will see "Member since: Oct 06, 2005." This is my only account. 

Message 35 of 39
latest reply

No one is buying FROM eBay, eBay does not sell anything. eBay is not that company named after the river in South America. One finds a listing on the eBay platform and buys from the seller.

Message 36 of 39
latest reply

So true - I’ve left them as well as a user did the same thing with a laptop of mine. There is an obvious and well used loophole for scam artists to use on EBay with their money back guarantee that leaves the seller holding broken or mistreated merchandise and the scams artist getting a brand new shiny object and their money back. eBay should be embarrassed they are protecting fraudulent buyers over long time trusted sellers. eBay is trash now, and if you’re a seller and don’t also want to get ripped off, please heed these warnings. 

Message 37 of 39
latest reply

Both posters on this thread who indicated they were leaving are still here 2 years after their postings. The OP and the other seller said they were leaving after 23 years. 

The fact of the matter is you will occasionally run into a bad apple buyer every now and then, which in my opinion is really rare no matter where you sell. It only seems way more common because the only sellers who post about their bad experiences are the one that had a transaction go sideways. When was the last time you saw a post on these boards raving how well their transaction went?

Many sellers but not all leave and comeback because they discovered the grass isn’t always greener on the other side of the fence. Whether you like it or not, ebay still has more eyeballs than all of the other platforms out there except one that I know of.

Message 38 of 39
latest reply

Hello Everyone,

Due to the age of the thread, it has been closed to further replies. Please feel free to start a new thread if you wish to continue to discuss this topic.

Thanks for understanding!

Message 39 of 39
latest reply