cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ebay buyers are one of a kind

Ebay sales continue to be inconsistent and month after month reach new lows for us. That being said the things you can always count on when selling on Ebay. 1) More unsoliceted offers of half of asking price or less on items. 2) Anytime your surprised you sold something. Just wait. You will get an email saying it doesn't work. 3) Ebay will continue to raise fees and subscriptions even as sales continue to plummet. 4) Ebay will always allow you some sales to keep your final value fees up in your avg. and to keep you coming back

Message 1 of 49
latest reply
48 REPLIES 48

Re: Ebay buyers are one of a kind

I tried to write you back with a very thoughtful well written detailed reply which better supported my post but unfortunately, maybe because I offered to help leadership correct their problems, it was blocked or so it seems. .. it has vanished, can't retrieve it and am short on time - basically I am referring to the antiques & collectibles market on Ebay which in my humble and experienced opinion of 38 yrs in business, both in int auctions, shows & brick & mortar store is not being supported both by conflicting formats, new campaigns and a limited understanding of how our market works compared to contemporary retail goods, clothing , tech and auto. 2 markets each needing a selling system which based on Ebay's new trend doesn't seem to understand the antiques & vintage collectibles market. Very frustrated, over & out.
Message 16 of 49
latest reply

@klassic*kids wrote:

@jnybuysell wrote:

Ebay sales continue to be inconsistent and month after month reach new lows for us. That being said the things you can always count on when selling on Ebay. 1) More unsoliceted offers of half of asking price or less on items. 2) Anytime your surprised you sold something. Just wait. You will get an email saying it doesn't work. 3) Ebay will continue to raise fees and subscriptions even as sales continue to plummet. 4) Ebay will always allow you some sales to keep your final value fees up in your avg. and to keep you coming back

@Yup.  Just got one of those today as a matter of fact.  They wrote:

"Hello I'm a diamond ebayer with 100% feedback ...I'm interested in your item . Would you accept $11.85 including shipping ...flash payment upon
acceptance . 5 star feedback will be left".

It was on a $30+ item plus shipping which is competitively priced.  It wasn't listed with a BO but had they sent me a reasonable offer I would have been willing to counter or accept if it was decent enough.  Instead I just deleted it and ignored.

Did you block them?  The minute they start bragging aobut their 100% positive feedback, I know I don't want to do business with them and block them.

What is Flash payment, anyway?

I'd tell them I'll do the listing for local pickup only - no paypal.

(*Bleep*)
Message 17 of 49
latest reply

@retrose1  Oh .. thanks! .. I will block them .. forgot to do that.  And I have absolutely no idea what "flash payment" is.  

Happy 2018! May this upcoming year be a prosperous one!
Message 18 of 49
latest reply

@klassic*kids " ... "flash payment"  ...

Super Quick. Instant Payment. Pay Immediately Like Flash 

The second you'd accept their offer ... Kaching!! (lol)

Seriously, sometimes the language used just perplexed me.

Here's one for ya'll to chew on:

" Wow these are pretty cool, is there like a lower buy it now I could get it if I just bought rn?"

-

Message about an item that is on Auction ending tomorrow evening.

We have to re-read it to make sure that the message is properly understood.

- Go figure.

-

Lucas

*still rollin' with the punches*

Message 19 of 49
latest reply

What they really mean is "is there a lower price you will accept by best offer so I don't have to pay right away even though I'm claiming I'll pay right away".

Message 20 of 49
latest reply

Um....buyer here, sorry if this is a seller only rant I'm intruding on. In one of the replies - ghost buyer? don't know what that is but cheap? I don't say no to a good buy but I don't buy on eBay because I am cheap, going to resell something or otherwise be a true beeatch. I Like eBay. I Like the Sellers. I can't go to swap meets, yard sales and stuff because of two little reasons. One, I'm legally blind. I have resolution on the monitor set as high as I can get it and still have nose prints on my monitor. Two, I'm wheelchair and bed bound. Ya'll ever tried to get one of those special handicapped moving people in a van to come and take you to flea markets, swaps and whatever? My heaven, if I did that I couldn't buy on eBay!

So if I meet your criteria for being a not so welcome buyer, oh well, that's not so new. Our kids stopped inviting us over a long time ago because of the logistics involved in getting me from my husband's truck to their homes.

I hope not all your buyers are true beeatches or duds or whatever else is causing you heartburn.  And yes, I have noticed that it does seem that eBay often (all the time) seems to forget that without you sellers there wouldn't be a darn thing for any of us buyers to buy.

Last thing - some of us buyers really, REALLY appreciate what you sellers do. Heaven knows I do, because without eBay I wouldn't be able to buy what I need (ok, want)  and nothing to wear to numerous doctors/physical therapists and such or even the cat tree that my cats have shredded to heck and I need to replace quickly. I do need to buy my wonderful companion dog another blingie collar, so will close this for now so I  can go do my favorite thing - visit eBay, find stuff, bid, hopefully buy and maybe even find something blingie for my wheelchair and companion dog.  Much love to eBay's sellers, JB

OH, and a quick PS. Some time ago a seller had a pretty little citrine ring at the starting price of a penny. I ended up winning the auction and feeling horrible for the seller not getting more for the ring. The jeweler my DIL took it to said it should have gone for more like $25, so she was delighted and I felt even worse. So just a question but why don't more of you set a higher starting bid or reserve price? I'd much rather have paid more for the ring for my DIL - which she still wears daily. Guess if ya'll did that, eBay would end up getting even more of what you earn, which is one good reason why there isn't a chance of a snowball fight down here in the deep South in August. 

Ah well, I'd rather be a buyer - a darn happy eBay buyer. Now please pardon me, and return to your rant....um.....discussion. I've got to find bling for my sweet little girl companion dog and maybe something to make my wheelchair look a little less like a piece of medical equipment and maybe more like ...darned if I know, but I'll find it here on eBay. Hugs and kisses and great sales to all of you. Pat yourselves on the back for me, because you sellers really and truly ARE one of a kind and you bring me a lot of companionship even just from looking at your sales and reading the boards than you'll ever know. (There is only so much television this old math nerd can take. My daily tolerance is about 15 minutes unless there's something good on Discovery.)

“Nothing that grieves us can be called little: by the eternal laws of proportion a child's loss of a doll and a king's loss of a crown are events of the same size”

Mark Twain
Message 21 of 49
latest reply

@rolenboy01

@rolenboy01 wrote:

What they really mean is "is there a lower price you will accept by best offer so I don't have to pay right away even though I'm claiming I'll pay right away".

Really? Man. Giorgia and I read it wrong then. We decipher the following message :

" Wow these are pretty cool, is there like a lower buy it now I could get it if I just bought rn?"

As: 

This is a good looking piece.  Do you have a BIN for less $$$, if I get it right now?

We thought maybe the person do not know how auctions with a BIN (more than 30% of starting bid)

works.

-

Lucas

Message 22 of 49
latest reply

@callahanmagic wrote:

@rolenboy01

@rolenboy01 wrote:

Really? Man. Giorgia and I read it wrong then. We decipher the following message :

As: 

This is a good looking piece.  Do you have a BIN for less $$$, if I get it right now?

We thought maybe the person do not know how auctions with a BIN (more than 30% of starting bid)

works.

-

Lucas

Don't get me wrong I've had many people pay up right away if I accepted their offer like they said they would, but way too many people who just made it "sound good" so they could get the item off the market to pay for later which isn't what we agreed to, I would have been fine with it if they said hey can I pay on payday but they had to lie about it which bothers me.

Message 23 of 49
latest reply

And you know this how?
Message 24 of 49
latest reply

Been on here selling since 05' and full time as a business since 09'. Made a nice living on here up until 15'. This unsolicited offer deal has grown in prominence in last 12 months. Thanks for the Bus101 lecture. We come here to vent. Not taking it personally. I realize it happens to everyone.
Message 25 of 49
latest reply

Or the famous "What's the lowest you will take for your item?"

Message 26 of 49
latest reply

@treazured wrote:

Um....buyer here, sorry if this is a seller only rant I'm intruding on. In one of the replies - ghost buyer? don't know what that is but cheap? I don't say no to a good buy but I don't buy on eBay because I am cheap, going to resell something or otherwise be a true beeatch. I Like eBay. I Like the Sellers. I can't go to swap meets, yard sales and stuff because of two little reasons. One, I'm legally blind. I have resolution on the monitor set as high as I can get it and still have nose prints on my monitor. Two, I'm wheelchair and bed bound. Ya'll ever tried to get one of those special handicapped moving people in a van to come and take you to flea markets, swaps and whatever? My heaven, if I did that I couldn't buy on eBay!

So if I meet your criteria for being a not so welcome buyer, oh well, that's not so new. Our kids stopped inviting us over a long time ago because of the logistics involved in getting me from my husband's truck to their homes.

I hope not all your buyers are true beeatches or duds or whatever else is causing you heartburn.  And yes, I have noticed that it does seem that eBay often (all the time) seems to forget that without you sellers there wouldn't be a darn thing for any of us buyers to buy.

Last thing - some of us buyers really, REALLY appreciate what you sellers do. Heaven knows I do, because without eBay I wouldn't be able to buy what I need (ok, want)  and nothing to wear to numerous doctors/physical therapists and such or even the cat tree that my cats have shredded to heck and I need to replace quickly. I do need to buy my wonderful companion dog another blingie collar, so will close this for now so I  can go do my favorite thing - visit eBay, find stuff, bid, hopefully buy and maybe even find something blingie for my wheelchair and companion dog.  Much love to eBay's sellers, JB

OH, and a quick PS. Some time ago a seller had a pretty little citrine ring at the starting price of a penny. I ended up winning the auction and feeling horrible for the seller not getting more for the ring. The jeweler my DIL took it to said it should have gone for more like $25, so she was delighted and I felt even worse. So just a question but why don't more of you set a higher starting bid or reserve price? I'd much rather have paid more for the ring for my DIL - which she still wears daily. Guess if ya'll did that, eBay would end up getting even more of what you earn, which is one good reason why there isn't a chance of a snowball fight down here in the deep South in August. 

Ah well, I'd rather be a buyer - a darn happy eBay buyer. Now please pardon me, and return to your rant....um.....discussion. I've got to find bling for my sweet little girl companion dog and maybe something to make my wheelchair look a little less like a piece of medical equipment and maybe more like ...darned if I know, but I'll find it here on eBay. Hugs and kisses and great sales to all of you. Pat yourselves on the back for me, because you sellers really and truly ARE one of a kind and you bring me a lot of companionship even just from looking at your sales and reading the boards than you'll ever know. (There is only so much television this old math nerd can take. My daily tolerance is about 15 minutes unless there's something good on Discovery.)

@treazured

What a lovely post!  Well said, treazured!  You are to be treasured for your beautiful soul.

Blessings to you!

Message 27 of 49
latest reply

Now come on! That generalization is so unfair. You cannot lump all buyer's into one pile. Those of us that are truly honest suffer from these generalize notions. I have always dealt fairly with my seller's, pay them immediately and never contact them unless something is terribly wrong with my order. Have never left a negative feedback for anyone. And the feedbacks I get from my seller's are honest and true ones, not just left because they can't give negative feedback. That being said; EBAy is getting pretty bad. April being the worst month ever for me! Bad seller's, bad products and bad solutions being offered or no communication at all. People say they are leaving EBay for good. And some of those are just throwing tantrums. I on the other hand am serious. Got 5 items still not delivered. When they come in I am finished with Ebay. I can't handle the stress, fake shipping numbers, bait and switch! It's just too much. I'd rather buy local and in store.
Message 28 of 49
latest reply

And as a parting thought, please give consideration to the fact that the reason many of you are finding so many BAD buyers. Is that the good like myself, are leaving this market in droves. You know the buyer's that send your product back, even when ebay say I don't have to. It's really a shame.
Message 29 of 49
latest reply

You're the type of customer that makes it fun to Ebay. Thanks. 🙂
Message 30 of 49
latest reply