cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ebay Customer Service Tell You To violate Ebays terms of service

A buyer filed for a return. The reason was: Sent the wrong item. With that ebay has asked me to pay the return shipping. I messaged the buyer and asked why he filed sent the wrong item. I sent exactly what was pictured in the listing. The buyer sent back a message saying. "Ment to say wrong item ordered" his bad spelling not mine.

I contacted ebay explaining that the buyer message confirmed that he ordered the wrong item and in fact it was buyer remorse. I should not be paying the return shipping. Ebay needs to fix this. The customer service person told me to pay for the label and send it to the buyer. When the item comes back deduct the return shipping cost. I had to tell the CS person they where wrong. In fact under seller protection there is a line that clearly states "

Misuse of this protection

Sellers may only deduct an amount from the buyer's refund in order to recover lost value when an item is returned used, altered or damaged. Sellers may not use this protection to recoup market losses on items returned in the same condition or recoup return postage and/or restocking costs.

Seller protections abuse policy overview

You may not misuse eBay seller protections. Sellers who don't follow this policy may lose their eligibility for protections.

So the Ebay customer service person told me to abuse ebays seller protection. But I am smarter than any and all of their employees. If I had followed her advice. Ebay could have taken action against me and you and I know they would never admit they made the mistake

I love ebay but I hate ebay the company

Message 1 of 4
latest reply
3 REPLIES 3

Re: Ebay Customer Service Tell You To violate Ebays terms of service

Good on you to know and understand what the policies actually are. So many get caught up in the 'I am right' that they end up doing the wrong thing and later regret it. The phone reps are the absolute worst ever that this platform uses. Best of luck to you....

Message 2 of 4
latest reply

I had the same situation happen to me. The buyer had purchased the same item previously as well, so she knew what she was buying.  When the buyer submitted the return request saying wrong item sent she attached the photo of the item from my listing and Ebay accepted that.   She then told me she made an error. 

I processed the return, paid for the return shipping label, gave the refund and still ended up with a return "defect". I had contacted Ebay about the return "defect" and was told it would not effect my standing in any way. However it does count as a return in the percentages of returns which could result in paying higher fees.

Message 3 of 4
latest reply

100% correct. The ignorant CS rep could have gotten you in trouble. If you have the SR# for the call, report it and have that CS rep re-trained in this area.

Refer to the latest message kyle responded here in this post for reference https://community.ebay.com/t5/Returns/Am-I-Allowed-to-Deduct-My-Original-Shipping-Cost-from-Refund/m...

Message 4 of 4
latest reply