cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EBay's profits fell 29 percent in 2019 compared to the year before...

That should cheer up the stockholders. 🙂

Message 1 of 154
latest reply
153 REPLIES 153

Re: EBay's profits fell 29 percent in 2019 compared to the year before...

@vintagecraze50 wrote:

According to the article I read on this post, people are not buying more expensive items becuase when they see the sales tax on those they abandon the purchase more now. They are doing that here I guess, but where else because that big fat sales tax is on every site for these items.

If they purchase is and then decide they aren't going to pay for it, it still shows up in the GMV.  GMV does NOT reduce by cancellations, refunds, returns, etc.  It is the Gross amount.  So those buyers didn't abandon the purchase, they just must have decided to go elsewhere or decided it wasn't what they wanted to do at this time.

I think there is some value in considering that more and more sellers are getting gun shy about selling high ticket items here due to current policies on returns.  And that would have an impact on the GMV.

mam98031  •  Volunteer Community Member  •  Buyer/Seller since 1999
Message 76 of 154
latest reply

Here is my 2 cents...

It costs more money & time to sell less on Ebay than it did in the past and every year it is not getting better.

Moral here has sunk to a new low.  It this was the Armed Forces there would be danger of a mutiny.

Ebay just posted that they have more user's. However Ebay's seller's are not selling and those new buyer's are not buying!

This is not due to sales tax and I bet the other big selling sites will post much better numbers.

Message 77 of 154
latest reply

eBay is the Sears if the online world.

A melting ice cube is a very good description of the current state of eBay affairs.

Message 78 of 154
latest reply

I think the decline is due to a number of factors, including increased competition, but I would not dismiss the negative impact of sales tax as one of those factors. Even if another site shows a 10% y/y increase, it is possible that the increase would have been 15% (or whatever number) if it weren't for the impact of sales tax.

So I don't disagree with ebay's contention that sales tax was a factor. And it is a negative factor that should ease over time, as buyers adjust to it.
Message 79 of 154
latest reply

@mam98031 

Why are you in such strong defense of ebay?  You have no affiliation with them I believe.  Why do you protect them so strongly?

To say that you understand how promoted listings is affecting categories you don't sell in is pretty unsympathetic.  I can tell you in clothing promoted listings IS NOT A CHOICE. You either do it, or get almost ZERO VISIBILITY/SALES.

You saying it is a choice is pretty rude to the people in categories where they clearly know it is not a choice.  You either close business or promote your listings. So please try to put yourself in others shoes before you defend ebay at every turn.  A lot of us support families with these businesses and are familys suffer if our businesses continue to decline.  This is serious for a lot of us and it would be nice if you showed some empathy for once.

You saw in a different post that despite GMV lowering again and the marketplace under-performing its competitors that they INCREASED the dividend payout.  That is a direct slap in the face of sellers on the marketplace showing shareholders come before us.

That money should be used to try and fix the platform and gain ground on its competitors.  I know you will respond with something saying how what I say is not true blah blah blah and that is ok.  I am frustrated today with ebay with the fact management keeps seeing bad quarters and yet DOES NOTHING.

WE WANT CHANGE.

Message 80 of 154
latest reply

I am considering the impact of sales tax compared to the impact of ebay's policies. 

Message 81 of 154
latest reply

The troubling issue with these reports especially with the buy back of the stocks rather than reinvesting cash into the website improvements is scary. This may mean that the stockholders are creating value in the stock and not the marketplace. IT POINTS TO THE ASPECT OF SELLING THE MARKETPLACE . After they have made money on the stock. This place may be sold soon.

Message 82 of 154
latest reply

@mrconran wrote:

I am considering the impact of sales tax compared to the impact of ebay's policies. 

Yes this is the thing that is important.

The drop eBay is facing did not begin with sales tax. And all sites are affected by sales tax equally. How many other major eCommerce marketplaces showed a Q4 drop?

Meanwhile, even with the traffic on eBay alone (not including google for the ad fees) we can see the problems and impact of policies.

And furthermore, the GLITCHES and broken functions of the site probably had a bigger effect than any of the policies.

It disturbs me that eBay seems unaware of the issues that are what is causing the drops. Is this just their spin on the report? Are they aware of the actual problems but they are just choosing not to admit it? Or are they really so out of touch that they have no idea of the problems? 

I don't know the answer to that. But it still disturbs me that shareholders and the public are being misled in the report. 

Message 83 of 154
latest reply

My advice is to do the best you I can on here until all this may happen, and plan for what you are going to do IF THIS happens. If this place is sold it may be not be a place here for some people to do as well as they have here. Find alternatives. Be smart.

Message 84 of 154
latest reply

There is great awareness of what is going on. Many do not understand the stock market and what happens to companies that are struggling and what they do in the event that their plans are not working as well as they should. That’s when investors get involved and try to create value in stocks and then work on breaking up companies for sales. 

Message 85 of 154
latest reply

@bargainbigly wrote:

eBay did not raise direct fees. They raised fees indirectly however:

- Service metrics - indiscriminately applied to unlucky sellers who receive more return abuse than their peers. Penalty for being unlucky (or selling clothing or electronics) 55% increase in seller fees. 

- Sponsored Listings - If you don't use them you will get absolutely zero traffic. Average trending rate we see around 7%. This obviously varies by category. 

- Shipping price increases - Not eBay's fault, but it kinda is because they have a ridiculous contract and they don't pass on any savings to sellers. If you ship 50,000 priority packages in a year (contract) the discount is around 50%. We heard Amazon's UPS contract is 83% off retail. That gives you and idea of just how much eBay makes selling labels. 7% average across the board so far? How much discount is shared with sellers? Nothing. 

- Damaged reputation - Make no mistake. Once a company gets a reputation as a "melting ice cube" there's no recovering. Ask Sears & Roebuck. 

My understanding of the earnings call was this: We can't turn this thing around, so let's all just profit as much as we can while the ship sinks slowly over the next 5 - 10 years. 

Time to move on, nothing to see here....

Yes, this is why earlier, I said rather than "fee increases", it might be better to think of this as "cost increases". Because the "eBay fee" itself may not have changed. But you're being charged in many other places.

As you say there's issues with Service Metrics. But those of us in Motors know it's even worse. Because the entire motors site is considered 1 big category! This means you are NOT being compared to "Peers". People who sell solid components, or components that do not have any vehicle fitment at all, are being compared to other sellers whos products are internal to the engine and either have a high failure rate or are difficult for customers to fit correctly.

How is it fair for someone who sells ignition coils, which have a 2% defect rate as per the top manufacturer in the world, when the Motor category "peers" supposedly have under 1% defect rate to stay out of "Very High"? This means it's basically impossible to sell ignition coils alone without getting a FVF penalty

I've discussed this with CSR's before. They read off the information they're trained to tell sellers when inquiring about the service metrics: "Well it's considered fair because you're being compared to peers who sell in your category". So which I responded "Motors is a site, not a category".  And there's nothing they can even say at that point. I had one tell me to contact merchant support through email to get it amended if we have evidence it's not fair. Well, the evidence is in the Ignition Coil defect rate that major manufacturers advertise alone. But does eBay take action...?

Furthermore, it's unfair as it's determined by "opened cases" rather than "Decided cases". It makes no sense that you could have a list of dozens of false SNAD where the customers admit it and you still get the penalty.

Sponsored listings is another thing that, as you say is NOT optional in many categories. The telling thing is this; whenever you call up eBay and inquire about sales, the first piece of advice they give you is to use sponsored listings. It's the only change they can recommend that they are confident will have an increase in visibility. It's not like sellers WANT to lower their profit margins, or to pay more for each sale. People use this feature out of necessity. Because if you don't, your competitors will have an advantage.

Regarding shipping fees, they already admit if China loses their discounts they will give them a deeper discount. This proves eBay is getting better rates than they are giving US sellers. Want more proof? Inquire about the eBay fulfillment system. They use their discounted rates as incentive for joining the program.

I do worry about eBay's future, especially since they're not honest about the problems they're facing. I won't believe there's no way to turn it around, but honestly, at this point they truly need to begin taking it seriously and taking drastic action or else it won't turn around.

Message 86 of 154
latest reply

Zamo,

If ebay would listen to half of your suggestions in a year or two this site would be gangbusters.

Or if they would just fix the horrible search engine, this site would vastly improve. 

The company management is at best incompetent and at worst just flat out lazy! 

Message 87 of 154
latest reply

That sums up what I was alluding to. Ebay is it's own worse enemy. The next big problem for me and other store owners that sell multiple items to one buyer is going to be managed payments.

Only on ebay when you buy more items the buyer is forced to pay .25 per line item.

Who does that in retail?!!! Stupid idea. That is going to cause more seller's & buyer's to look elsewhere. 

Message 88 of 154
latest reply

@esg-enterprises wrote:

Zamo,

If ebay would listen to half of your suggestions in a year or two this site wold be gangbusters.

Or if they would just fix the horrible search engine, this site would vastly improve. 

The company management is at best incompetent and at worst just flat out lazy! 

Even fixing the glitches would be a great start, and then simply assessing their policies to see if they're "fair". 

A complete turn around is a big job. But it doesn't have to be a big major change to improve things. Just simple iterations would make a lot of progress.

Message 89 of 154
latest reply

Possibly several years too late, with too little foresight to turn it around.

Message 90 of 154
latest reply