cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EBAY SUpplies now a real joke

So on top of having to pay tax for the supplies even if the total is under the coupon total amount they do not ACCEPT PAYPAL ! Are you kidding me ?

Message 1 of 95
latest reply
94 REPLIES 94

Re: EBAY Supplies now a real joke

@whatmodernwas 

Yeah, I dunno what's up with that. I know nothing about sales taxes in NY. The math works out to 8.86%. Ouch!

Not sure what a SNAD will get you except for a possibly a return label. If the seller refunds your tax, well then, there ya go!

I think ebay's stance is that if sales tax is improperly charged, ebay wants you to pay it and then ask your state's taxing authority for a refund. Seriously.

Maybe they have more complete tax tables set up as part of managed payments. That makes sense to me. Not disclosing it is kind of a bummer though.

Déjà Moo: The strange feeling that I've heard this bull before...
Message 16 of 95
latest reply

@fern*wood wrote:

It is odd that their tax collection info doesn't list all the states in which they are collecting tax.  I've been charged sales tax the last two times I've ordered my supplies and I'm in West Virginia.  

I agree.  I've heard this concern about NY before on the threads.  I don't know what is going on with that at all.

mam98031  •  Volunteer Community Member  •  Buyer/Seller since 1999
Message 17 of 95
latest reply

@moo*cow*corner wrote:

@whatmodernwas 

Yeah, I dunno what's up with that. I know nothing about sales taxes in NY. The math works out to 8.86%. Ouch!

Not sure what a SNAD will get you except for a possibly a return label. If the seller refunds your tax, well then, there ya go!

I think ebay's stance is that if sales tax is improperly charged, ebay wants you to pay it and then ask your state's taxing authority for a refund. Seriously.

Maybe they have more complete tax tables set up as part of managed payments. That makes sense to me. Not disclosing it is kind of a bummer though.

Lots of places have a sales tax rate of 8.86% or higher.  Sad but true.

If Ebay is collecting the tax as the Facilitator, a seller can't refund the tax because they didn't get the money in the first place.

For a refund from a seller to a buyer for an item for any reason, with that sale having sales tax paid to Ebay [as the facilitator] for their state, EBAY will refund the buyer the sales tax paid as they are the ones that got the money.

You are correct that Ebay has said [via the blues] that if Ebay mischarges you sales tax on an item that you deem should have been exempt from sales tax for whatever reason you have.  They have said that we need to apply for a refund directly from that state.  And most states have a process for this.  Hopefully that will change and Ebay will come up with a way to be more accurate in how they collect taxes and when.

Message 18 of 95
latest reply

Amazon tells me what the total price will be before I commit to a purchase.

Message 19 of 95
latest reply

@whatmodernwas wrote:

As does Ebay.  But the same info may not be displayed for the seller because they aren't collecting the sales tax.

Message 20 of 95
latest reply

There have been a couple threads regarding the ebay supplies seller charging sales tax in multiple states.  Since eBay only handles 3 states that means the seller setup tax tables for all the others where they believe they are supposed to collect.  Most of the complaints have been from buyers in Texas where shipping supplies (boxes, envelopes, etc) are exempt from sales tax.

If any seller hits the limits for a specific state they should start collecting for sales in that state until eBay becomes the marketplace facilitator in that state.

Member of the Grumpy Old Man crew
Message 21 of 95
latest reply

No, they are not kidding you.Smiley Sad

Message 22 of 95
latest reply

@dtexley3 wrote:

There have been a couple threads regarding the ebay supplies seller charging sales tax in multiple states.  Since eBay only handles 3 states that means the seller setup tax tables for all the others where they believe they are supposed to collect.  Most of the complaints have been from buyers in Texas where shipping supplies (boxes, envelopes, etc) are exempt from sales tax.

If any seller hits the limits for a specific state they should start collecting for sales in that state until eBay becomes the marketplace facilitator in that state.

Yes, I know.  I stated that.  I have no answer for that, sorry.

Message 23 of 95
latest reply

@dtexley3 wrote:

That's true, thank you @dtexley3 

Message 24 of 95
latest reply

I get it - Ebay is trying to force the store owners from PayPal to Ayden (or whatever it is called). Ebay promises this benefit for Store owners and just takes it away - typical move for Ebay. Truthfully the Ebay supplies are expensive. I just get mine now from other shipping materials suppliers. Can get them in bulk for lots less money. Never did NOT like the Ebay logo any way as it just announced to the public that something might be expensive and that if it gets stolen the seller eats the cost of item and shipping. Dishonest people couldn't care less and many individuals already know Ebay rules and know they can get away with it.
Message 25 of 95
latest reply

Never did NOT like the Ebay logo any way as it just announced to the public that something might be expensive and that if it gets stolen the seller eats the cost of item and shipping. Dishonest people couldn't care less and many individuals already know Ebay rules and know they can get away with it.

If the seller has tracking showing delivery, the seller is protected if something is delivered and stolen so the dishonest people don't get away with it.  Seller would just have to enter the tracking number showing delivery into the case and the case would be closed in their favor without refunding the buyer.

Buyers are required to provide a safe, secure place for delivery, too.

Message 26 of 95
latest reply

@goodluckselling wrote:

eBay supplies seller is a business just like and I have eBay businesses.  There is a new internet tax that I think you should know about, so I really am not sure what your complaint about that is? 

As far as the eBay supplies seller not accepting Paypal, again they are a business and decided to use the managed payment which is lower fees, so that also seems like a good move on there part.

Good Luck Selling!

Maybe you should learn about the Sales Tax Rules and laws before trying to inform others of them.  This company has decided to collect tax in every state even though it is not required at this time.  CA is not a state that has the Internet Sales Tax in effect at this time, but will have in April.  But in CA Shipping supplies ARE NOT TAXABLE, so this is just another one of Ebays puppet companies that are doing things the way that they want instead of following the rules.  

I am sure that Ebay did not give this company a choice about being in the managed Payments program since all they have under this account are Ebay shipping supplies.  In fact I would not be the least bit surprised to see that this company is now owned by Ebay since that is usually what companies do with this type of situation, but when they do not want it to look like they are shipping the supplies.  Maybe this is the inventory that Ebay keeps referring to in their announcements about fulfilling inventory for their customers???

Ebay wants to cut down on expenses and this is just another way of doing so as many sellers, myself included WILL NOT give Ebay any or our credit card information so they can store it on their unreliable platform.  I do not believe that Ebays system is secure, and definitely not secure enough to store my financial information in the future, let alone transparent enough to tell us if they were hacked.  They did that once and saw the negative effects of it and there is no way that the CEO would ever allow that to be reported again as that would destroy Ebays stock price that he has fought so hard to increase.  The only reason it is up now is due to Elliott making it publicly known they are unhappy with Ebays results and so investors are speculating that there might be a buy out and they are hoping to make some decent money on it as Ebay's results sure do not warrant any increase in the stock price.  So the fewer FREE shipping supplies that ebay has to give out the more they save on expenses.  But as usual Ebay forgets to realize that once again having a store has lost value and once again they are going to lose store revenues going forward due to their ineptitude understanding who their customers really are and what they want.  

The next financial hit will come once Ebay eliminates Turbo Lister without having followed through on their commitment to keep it until Seller Hub can have the same tools that it has.  It won't and many sellers will stop listing on Ebay as they will not want to use a 3rd party listing tool at further cost to their business which is already hurting due to Ebays ineffectiveness on growing their business in any way other than taking more and more money from the current sellers with less sales.  That will then lower FVF, then store fees and once again Ebay will not show any growth and then will say wait until Managed Payments comes into effect.  I truly believe that unlike the other sites that are the payment intermediary and make it work fine, that once Ebay forces this on the Sellers that will be the final straw for Ebay as we know it.  Ebay will still be around, but will begin to fall further and further down in peoples minds because what Ebay used to have to sell - most of it will then be gone and buyers that are looking for new products will go to the sites where it is cheaper as the sellers migrate to those other sites.

Message 27 of 95
latest reply

The taxes in MN WA & IA are collected by ebay. Any ST for any other state collected by that seller is being collected by the seller which, unless they actually have a nexus in that state is wrong.

But neither the seller or ebay itself seems inclined to correct it.

Much as ebay refuses to do anything about offshore sellers collecting a flat rate for "sales tax" in every state (even those which do not HAVE ST).

Reality is the leading cause of stress.
Message 28 of 95
latest reply

@mam98031 wrote:

@whatmodernwas wrote:

As does Ebay.  But the same info may not be displayed for the seller because they aren't collecting the sales tax.

Not in this case. I was not told that sales tax would be assessed for a New York address by a Kentucky seller until after I completed the purchase.

Iowa, Minnesota, and Washington are the only states mentioned.

Message 29 of 95
latest reply

@whatmodernwas wrote:

@mam98031 wrote:

@whatmodernwas wrote:

Not in this case. I was not told that sales tax would be assessed for a New York address by a Kentucky seller until after I completed the purchase.

Iowa, Minnesota, and Washington are the only states mentioned.

Then you need to report this issue to Ebay.  If Ebay is telling you on screen something cost $10 but $12 was taken from your credit card or your PP account, you need to notify Ebay of a serious glitch.

I'm sorry this happened to you and I sincerely hope you report it.

Message 30 of 95
latest reply