cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Pot Calling The Kettle Black.

I just received an item not as described return.  The reasoning is that the train case listed in average used condition for it being dirty inside wasn't descriptive enough I suppose.  The train case was also missing the tray and key which was also mentioned.  Not sure what else I could describe as it wasn't listed in good/excellent, it was average.  The outside was nice.  Most people who collect these do so for the outside anyway, but I still describe to the best of my ability.  The person who opened this is also a seller.  Whom has several listing with no returns accepted.  I do have free returns which I should have mentioned.  Her descriptions are typically one line "item used" is what she uses a lot and she also has mixed up product identifiers and very little photos.  It always seems like the people who are so judgmental are the ones who need to judge themselves.  I also checked her feedback left for others.  Many negative positives, leaving negatives for unpaid item cases to other sellers.  She left a negative for a seller who cancelled the item because they were having open heart surgery, they replied and were appalled.  Several negatives for items not as described.  I sincerely hope I am not the only one who has reported her for return abuse.  It clearly looks like she has had quite a few of them this year based on feedback left alone.  

Message 1 of 44
latest reply
43 REPLIES 43

dirty inside wasn't descriptive enough I suppose

That is an important detail and you left it out.

Most people who collect these do so for the outside anyway

You do not get to choose why your buyer purchased the item or what they deem important.

I still describe to the best of my ability

You have already admitted that you did not describe it to the best of your ability.

I sincerely hope I am not the only one who has reported her for return abuse

What was the abuse? That you don;t think the buyer should be allowed to care about the condition of the inside of a collectible case?

Message 2 of 44
latest reply

I did describe it as being dirty inside with no tray and key. That is the reason she opened the return, for the exact reason I had it described as. I'm not sure why you are saying I didn't describe it.
Message 3 of 44
latest reply

@spreadlovelikefire wrote:
I did describe it as being dirty inside with no tray and key. That is the reason she opened the return, for the exact reason I had it described as. I'm not sure why you are saying I didn't describe it.

You did indeed describe it as such; the buyer is just being a numpty. However, 30-day Free Returns means just that, and although you can try reporting her for return abuse, it may just be that the inside was dirtier than she anticipated. (I agree that the missing tray and key aren't valid complaints, since that was stated in the description.)

While her own account is nothing to brag about from what you're describing, it's also not relevant to her dispute as a buyer with you. Just take it back, put her on your Blocked Bidder List (here) and hope for a better buyer next time. 

If I could make one other suggestion, a little off-topic: try photographing it in bright lighting but without a camera flash. The item's appearance should be much better without the flash, which tends to cause weird lighting effects and shadows. Good luck.

Message 4 of 44
latest reply

30-day free returns does mean that I need to foot the bill on the original shipping however.  But because she chose it as item not as described I get to do that.  

Message 5 of 44
latest reply

I meant "does not mean", not "does mean".
Message 6 of 44
latest reply

I thought "30-day free returns" meant free returns for any reason, and seller pays return shipping . . .

Message 7 of 44
latest reply

Yes, seller pays return shipping, not original shipping.  When "item not as describe" is chosen, I have to refund the original shipping cost.  Unless that has changed?

Message 8 of 44
latest reply

When "item not as describe" is chosen, I have to refund the original shipping cost.

@spreadlovelikefire 

According to your first post, your buyer did file an INAD, so, yes, you have to refund the original shipping cost. You have to refund the cost of the item + the cost of shipping, and pay for/provide a return mailing label. eBay will refund the buyer's sales tax, if applicable.

It may be in your best interest to read this eBay help page in its entirety.

https://www.ebay.com/help/selling/managing-returns-refunds/handling-return-requests?id=4115

An excerpt:

The buyer received the wrong item, it arrived damaged, or it doesn't match the listing description

If a buyer received the wrong item, it arrived damaged, or it doesn’t match the listing description, they can return it to you, even if your return policy states you don't accept returns.

Here are your response options:

Accept the return: The buyer will send the item back to you for a full refund, including the original shipping cost. You'll also be responsible for covering return shipping costs. If the item is returned used or damaged, you may qualify to issue a partial refund

Message 9 of 44
latest reply

As I have mentioned several times before, too many buyers don't read the descriptions.  They look at the title, the price, and the picture and buy it.

Message 10 of 44
latest reply

@luckythewinner wrote:

dirty inside wasn't descriptive enough I suppose

That is an important detail and you left it out.

Most people who collect these do so for the outside anyway

You do not get to choose why your buyer purchased the item or what they deem important.

I still describe to the best of my ability

You have already admitted that you did not describe it to the best of your ability.

I sincerely hope I am not the only one who has reported her for return abuse

What was the abuse? That you don;t think the buyer should be allowed to care about the condition of the inside of a collectible case?

So now we are making accusations without reading the OP's post or looking at the item referenced? Nice.

Message 11 of 44
latest reply

Yes, I have reread what I wrote.  The buyer opened an item not as described case and stated the item wasn't as described because it was dirty, didn't have a tray, and didn't have a key.  All of which where described.  So she opened it up incorrectly.  My complaint is that I have to refund the original shipping cost, not that I have to supply a return label.  I'm not sure what I'm missing here?  I understand the return  process, I am a seasoned seller.  What  I don't understand is people who do not read descriptions or look at pictures.  And I also don't understand having to foot the bill on original shipping for something that was described correctly.  

Message 12 of 44
latest reply

Yes, I have reread what I wrote.  The buyer opened an item not as described case and stated the item wasn't as described because it was dirty, didn't have a tray, and didn't have a key.  All of which where described.  So she opened it up incorrectly.  My complaint is that I have to refund the original shipping cost, not that I have to supply a return label.  I'm not sure what I'm missing here?  I understand the return  process, I am a seasoned seller.  What  I don't understand is people who do not read descriptions or look at pictures.  And I also don't understand having to foot the bill on original shipping for something that was described correctly.  

I'm clear on your objection/complaint. If you're just venting, cool. Most sellers (and probably more than a few buyers--myself included) would agree with you. 

However, whether you understand it or not, agree with it or not, you're going to have to accept the return, supply a return label, and issue a FULL refund when the item is returned to you. If you don't, eBay will do it for you, and you'll receive a defect on your account for not resolving the return request yourself. That's the way returns work on eBay. 

Message 13 of 44
latest reply

I understand 100%, I'm just venting.  I've already issued the label.  I was replying to your question about free returns meaning you can return anything for any reason.  That is correct, but not what I was venting about.  I was venting about item not as described returns and how this one in particular is bogus.  Ebay supposedly is suppose to start protecting sellers from this type of thing.  I've followed the directions, I report.  I have yet to see any protection from it.  I have one from 2 months ago that still shows on my metric and have never received the $6 shipping fee return that I had to pay.  It was for some jeans that just didn't fit the buyer but they opened it as item not as described.  They even wrote in the messaging part of the return that the item "just didn't fit right".  Clear cut case of remorse and ebay still shows a ding on my metric and no recoup of original shipping.   

Message 14 of 44
latest reply

Okay, well, venting's cool.
Message 15 of 44
latest reply