cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EBAY SALES TANKED

I want to ask the ebay community for help.  We are a top rated seller, power seller, ebay store owner, and we used to use inkfrog as our lister for items to ebay.  About 4 weeks ago we stop using them and decided to spend money upgrading to frooition with a listing design template.  Since that switch our sales have gone straight down to nothing?  Is the market this slow on ebay or do I have something I am missing going on when changing listing designers?   Any help would be appreciated.  If you recommend a better company let me know. 

Message 1 of 25
latest reply
24 REPLIES 24

Re: EBAY SALES TANKED

Yes, using large, aggressive banners and complicated templates really designed for web pages don't always work well in the small amount of cluttered real estate one gets in a marketplace listing, especially an eBay marketplace listing. 

“The most common way people give up their power is by thinking they don’t have any.”
— Alice Walker

#freedomtoread
#readbannedbooks
Message 16 of 25
latest reply

I have been selling 24 years ebay and 12 Amazon.  eBay has been dismal recently due to a large number of factors. I would say the largest problem started a few years back opening the door to scammy sellers from manufacturing countries (I will just say FAR EAST) selling all kinds of ill described products for very little money.   Amazon stopped that right away however eBay simply chooses to allow it.  An example could be in my category - a flashed gold ring with red plastic stone being described as solid gold with ruby.  A buyer has to actually go to the trouble of proving false merchandise on ebay.  Amazon?  It took me over a year of testing and expensive product submissions to qualify for fine jewelry sales. Finally, if you hire a pro to send evidence of fake item to ebay what do you get?  A refund.  If ebay even boots the seller then they simply pop open a new store with a new I.D.

I, myself, a savvy buyer - has gotten burned on ebay.  I rarely buy here and only from sellers I know from waaaaayyyyyyyyy back to the 90s. 

Message 17 of 25
latest reply

We are slow. Down almost half from this time last year. But for good reasons.

We've reduced our ebay items for sale down about 1/3 from a year ago.

This season is usually slow and should start picking up mid-September.

Many people are struggling financially and are saving up for one last 'good' Christmas.

We're banking on holiday sales to make up for the losses. Our best sales are typically from October to February/March.

Message 18 of 25
latest reply

Yes, it is extremely slow this year. Not just you.

Message 19 of 25
latest reply

@hammy.n.peeps 

That isn’t Ebay, that’s federal law.

Every single payment processor has to do it PayPal, Amazon, everyone 

Message 20 of 25
latest reply

@nuclearomen wrote:

@go-bad-chicken 
And to guarantee their extra income, they made it so any buyer who clicks that promoted listings and is then locked to promoted rate for 30 days, to ensure that if buyer buys within that 30 days, they get more money.

Imagine how much better it would feel if eBay did the same for ALL promotions on the site... Save 15% for Labor Day (and thirty days after that).  Save 1/2 off FVF in these categories when you list Auctions (and for thirty days after that).

Yeah... but this is eBay, so I doubt that would even cross their minds.

-Bob.

RKS Solutions LLC logo
Ask me about SixBit and the tools I use to sell - I'm happy to share!
"A journey of a thousand miles begins by getting off the couch"
Message 21 of 25
latest reply

@toysaver wrote:

"About 4 weeks ago we stop using them and decided to spend money upgrading to frooition with a listing design template." 

The design template akes your listings hard to read and understand.  Lots of information nobody needs is there flashing like neon diverting people away.  If I were shopping on a phone I would have jumped ship immediately.  Sometimes to have less is to have more.

Any seller making a change to their standard template really needs to view that new template using a smartphone and/or tablet.  Those devices don't have the same screen real-estate that a desktop system does, so eBay trims a lot of things out that you paid money to put in.  And switching fonts makes anything harder to read - moreso on the small screen than on a desktop.

It's all about being able to show what you are selling in a format that works where your customers are seeing it.  You -can- control what is shown to app users and what is shown to desktop users, and those who spend a bit of time doing it can do better.

And definitely do the Active Content scan.  If your new listing tool uses CA in 7 of 10 venues it services, it would not be a stretch to believe there is the possibility that some of that leaks into the other three venues, perhaps with negative consequences for the seller.

I used to use a template similar to the OP's - back before smartphones were smart enough to be web browsers or have custom made apps.  Fancy backgrounds, cool fonts, frequent mix of BOLD vs non-bold text, and centering things that really would have been better displayed in a bullet point list.

When I simplified my template, my sales increased.  When the app arrived, my sales continued to do well, and today slightly over 1/2 my sales come from the app, not from a desktop.

The other advantage to a simplified template is that you can supply the user-content much quicker and more easily.  My current template at work takes only about a minute to fill in -- meaning we can focus more time on getting better and better pictures and doing our pricing research.  It also makes the listing much faster to load (not everyone has gig-speed internet even today), and much faster to render and display on whatever device the shopper is using.

If you truly are not making sales, you should have some free time to be investigating these things, looking for a 'why' that best fits what you are seeing.  Check your own listings using a smartphone, and not necessarily a terribly current one.

-Bob.

RKS Solutions LLC logo
Message 22 of 25
latest reply

My sales have dropped 90%. The worse in 15 years. Have over 2,000 listings. eBay has tanked!

Message 23 of 25
latest reply

@sluice-monkey wrote:

My sales have dropped 90%. The worse in 15 years. Have over 2,000 listings. eBay has tanked!

Look around - B&M retailers are experiencing the same thing, with too many of them not able to survive the 'recovery' and end up closing.  Money is expensive these days -- those 'tied to prime rate' credit cards are making more now than ever, and they didn't have to do anything!!

I think people really believed that the pandemic would end and everything would magically just pop back to normal and life would go on.  It didn't, and it won't.  It's a world-wide event, so even if we can get ourselves straightened out, the rest of the world doesn't have the resources, or are tied up in the repercussions of a war they didn't start and have been threatened to stay out of.

When USPS starts picking up 6 days a week again and tracks every package we ship from the office... THEN I'll start thinking that we're getting back to normal.  But when something as basic as USPS is still such a mess, I'm not so sure.

-Bob.

RKS Solutions LLC logo
Message 24 of 25
latest reply

Hi everyone,

Due to the age of this thread, it has been closed to further replies. Please feel free to start a new thread HERE if you wish to continue to discuss this topic.

Thank you for understanding.

Message 25 of 25
latest reply