cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EBAY GAVE FREE SHIPPING WHEN NOT MARKED AS SUCH!

It happened to me again! Has happened several times lately and is very disturbing! I just sold an item last night and went to print the shipping label this morning and it said FREE SHIPPING, I knew I had not offered FS on this item as I had reduced the price considerably due to older merchandise, it was only priced at $3.99 for a NWT item! (302614840467) I checked my listing and sure enough the FS box WAS NOT CHECKED but eBay in all their generosity gave my buyer FREE SHIPPING which costs me almost $3 and took what little profit I had in the sale and left me at a loss for this item!

Also, the listing showed as FLAT SHIPPING which I never ever use, I always use calculated shipping due to postage rates changing so often! I have mentioned this problem before, but it seems to still occur from time to time. Sometimes when you change a listing from a 30-day FP listing to an Auction or visa-versa from an Auction to a FP listing, it mixes-up the shipping data, this SHOULD NOT HAPPEN, I never change my shipping preferences when making this change in my listing, but it happens anyway! SELLERS BEWARE - THIS COULD HAPPEN TO YOU!

My loss this time was small, but there is a problem here that should be fixed!

Message 1 of 46
latest reply
45 REPLIES 45

Re: EBAY GAVE FREE SHIPPING WHEN NOT MARKED AS SUCH!

I hate it when ghosts butt into my business too ,, but who you gonna call ?

LOL....ebay customer service???  

Message 31 of 46
latest reply

wrote:
These glitches are USUALLY found that way - when it sells.

Not the case here.  When you look at the revisions for the listing you can see clearly the OP went and made two separate edits to the listing with in a few minutes of each other.  One of the changes was shipping and description at the same time.  Another was description, picture and I think price.  Shows a clear path that the seller was editing the listing.

Also if you look at the description the OP has two different listing tools both active for there listings, so with multiply apps working the listing I guess an override is possible but probably only through one of those apps they are using and not eBay.  The OP has given these apps permission to edit the listings.

Now take at a short review of the OP posting history and you will find almost every thread involves some kind of issue with shipping.

I guess I am a bit more analytical than most.  I want to see real proof not just hearsay.

OP since you still have about 100 listings with free shipping,  It might be wise to take 10 minutes and review those 100 listings to make sure you wanted free shipping on them.  Easier to make changes now than being upset later.

Good Luck Selling

Message 32 of 46
latest reply

It happened to me again! Has happened several times lately and is very disturbing! I just sold an item last night and went to print the shipping label this morning and it said FREE SHIPPING, I knew I had not offered FS - vintageista - op - unquote ------------------------------------

I'm sorry you're having this problem . If you've double checked and sure you  haven't forgotten to uncheck free shipping  but it still keeps coming up that way on your listings . Then the first thing to do is  to revise it back  as quickly as possible  as I'm sure you already know . I guess the next step is to notify e bay of a suspected gliche that may be causing this to happen .  Their tech department   can  possibly remedy the problem . Have you tried changing browsers ?,, might try that if not .  I don't know why ,, but things in the computer world  often just don't get along with each other  for many mysterious reasons. They can   cause  problems  on some peoples  PC's when they don't for anyone else's . Tulips 

Message 33 of 46
latest reply

hate it when ghosts butt into my business too ,, but who you gonna call ? Tulips  -----

LOL....ebay customer service???  ittybitnot - unquote -----   

Sometimes they're one in the same  🙂 

Message 34 of 46
latest reply

@vintageista

I mentioned this earlier but just listed an item to test.   You mentioned when you reviewed your item via relist, it had flat rate selected.  What amount was in the box for flat rate? 

If you don't enter an amount, even if you don't check the free shipping box, it will default to free shipping due to zeros being in the box.   Even if you added a weight it wouldn't show any postage cost.

Message 35 of 46
latest reply

wrote:

wrote:
These glitches are USUALLY found that way - when it sells.

Not the case here.  When you look at the revisions for the listing you can see clearly the OP went and made two separate edits to the listing with in a few minutes of each other.  One of the changes was shipping and description at the same time.  Another was description, picture and I think price.  Shows a clear path that the seller was editing the listing.

Also if you look at the description the OP has two different listing tools both active for there listings, so with multiply apps working the listing I guess an override is possible but probably only through one of those apps they are using and not eBay.  The OP has given these apps permission to edit the listings.

Now take at a short review of the OP posting history and you will find almost every thread involves some kind of issue with shipping.

I guess I am a bit more analytical than most.  I want to see real proof not just hearsay.

OP since you still have about 100 listings with free shipping,  It might be wise to take 10 minutes and review those 100 listings to make sure you wanted free shipping on them.  Easier to make changes now than being upset later.

Good Luck Selling

Prove it doesn't happen the way we are saying it happens or stop posting here.

Message 36 of 46
latest reply

wrote:

We are all free to post here and none of us have the right to tell others not to post.  Do you have proof?

There is more than one suggestion as to why or how this could happen.

Message 37 of 46
latest reply

wrote:

wrote:

We are all free to post here and none of us have the right to tell others not to post.  Do you have proof?

There is more than one suggestion as to why or how this could happen.

Trying to bait me into a 7 day ban or something?

Message 38 of 46
latest reply

Hello everyone,

This thread is getting a bit heated.  Please remember that it’s fine to disagree with others, but discussion should always remain courteous and respectful.

Thank you for your cooperation.

Message 39 of 46
latest reply

wrote:

Same thing happened to me twice since last fall on another account. Ebay changed everyone of listings to free shipping. First I went in and tried to change to calculated shipping. It wouldn't let me change any of them. I ended up ending all my listings. I had already sold 2 items and lost big time on shipping. Second time it affected over half my listings. I was able to change them back to calculated shipping this time. Had to be some kind of glitch since it happened on only one account.

Yes it could be a glitch --- but if it was then just like yours it would have changed all of the listings

Mistakes happen --- no need for anyone to get upset --- it's just a valuable lesson to periodically monitor your items for sale --- it is sort of like dusting them off in a B&M store ...

Message 40 of 46
latest reply

OP--I feel your pain. 

Once I do a listing, I check to see how everything looks and then quickly send it to twitter and move on.  During January, I had one item sell that weighed over 5lbs, and shipped to CA free on a $5 sale, luckily the next 2 folks were super cheap and asked for a best offer..when I went in the see what I could do, the free shipping box was checked so I quickly took that off and both folks chose not to buy.  Otherwise between the 3, I would have lost over $30

Once I saw this happening I had other ebayers check to see what I was seeing as my items with free shipping.  If I saw 54, they saw 57, the next day it could be as high as 90....I have gone over each of my listings several times, removed free shipping and come back only to find items once again marked with free shipping.

If it has not happened to you, you have been lucky, but to say that the OP or anyone that it has happened to, is lying or not listing correctly or anything else is just plain wrong.   There are glitches with free shipping, just the same as there are glitches trying to get calculated shipping on combined items.   Its not a perfect system but it what we have.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
I cannot give you the formula for success, but I can give you the formula for failure--which is: Try to please everybody. Herbert Bayard Swope
Message 41 of 46
latest reply

wrote:

OP--I feel your pain. 

Once I do a listing, I check to see how everything looks and then quickly send it to twitter and move on.  During January, I had one item sell that weighed over 5lbs, and shipped to CA free on a $5 sale, luckily the next 2 folks were super cheap and asked for a best offer..when I went in the see what I could do, the free shipping box was checked so I quickly took that off and both folks chose not to buy.  Otherwise between the 3, I would have lost over $30

Once I saw this happening I had other ebayers check to see what I was seeing as my items with free shipping.  If I saw 54, they saw 57, the next day it could be as high as 90....I have gone over each of my listings several times, removed free shipping and come back only to find items once again marked with free shipping.

If it has not happened to you, you have been lucky, but to say that the OP or anyone that it has happened to, is lying or not listing correctly or anything else is just plain wrong.   There are glitches with free shipping, just the same as there are glitches trying to get calculated shipping on combined items.   Its not a perfect system but it what we have.

You have 59 listings with Free Shipping ...

Message 42 of 46
latest reply

Yes its happening to me too. I'm ready to quit selling. I took the loss twice. I have been carefully checking all my listing s and it just happened again . I am furious
Message 43 of 46
latest reply

It IS happening. I have listed for about 20 years. And it had happened 3x now. I think when it automatically resists, it reverts to free shipping and adds make an offer. Even if you had them unchecked in original listing. Terrible and the seller always gets stuck.
Message 44 of 46
latest reply

A couple months ago, I had the same problem. But my case was the opposite, I wanted to provide free shipping to my buyers...lol. In which case, I had to re-check my listings and then revise some of them. I also noticed that sometimes eBay loves to default to its Global Shipping Program (which I often need to modify manually afterwards even when I selected USPS International 1st class when creating the listings).

Did you use the eBay app or computer browser to list? Also did you use the "list similar item" function or create the listing from new? I realize this glitch happens more often when I am doing list similar items or relisting ended items using the eBay app.
Message 45 of 46
latest reply