cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EBAY 40% SELLING PENALTIES STARTING OCTOBER 1ST

It was pretty depressing to see Ebay's latest attack on the sellers with the implementation of the new 40% seller fee increase.   An increase based on their latest version of "Seller performance standards."   I had contacted ebay dozens of times over the last two months trying to figure out what this was all about.   It was only 4 days ago that I was able to get concrete answers, after 2 months of conflicting information from ebay reps (by the way, if a rep answers the phone and they have an India accent, hang up, only the American Tech support has a real clue what is going on).   So as best I am able to determine, this is how things will be:

Those who sell a lot of items no longer have that high volume to help keep a low overall percentage defect rate because ebay has broken down all your sales into tiny categories (21 to be exact), each with it's own rating system (Each category has it's own 4 % penalty system).   There are also many categories that simply say "You don't have any peer benchmarks", even though I have many sales in those categories, basically I have not been rated by ebay because I have no peers in that category (what?).   Ebay has not been able to explain this, other than it being used to dilute high volume sales into 21 low volume categories where one or two defects will drive you right up into the 4% fee rate (The new Seller Performance standards), If you thought you were doing better, well, now Ebay will make sure you are not.   

Lets talk about what the defects actually are, this really made my day (a lot worse):

If a buyer opens a not as described case and states they made a mistake and ordered the wrong item, you can contact ebay and have that case dismissed, BUT, that case still counts against you, even though you did absolutely nothing wrong and the case was closed in your favor.   

If a buyer opens a return request for any reason and never returns the item or changes their mind and wants to keep it, that counts against you.

If a buyer opens an item not received case and tracking shows it has been delivered, you can have the case closed by ebay in your favor, but it still counts against you.

If an item is damaged by the shipper during shipping and you have insured the item, the shipper pays the insurance claim and the buyer then closes the case, it still counts against you.

If a buyer opens a not as described case due to something missing (such as a power cord), even if they find the cord a few minutes later  and close the case, or you send them the cord and they close the case.   It still counts against you.

If an ebay rep tells you this rating system only applies to item not as described returns, and all other cases, if closed by ebay or the buyer, do not count against you, they are either from India tech support,  they don't have a clue about the new rules, or they are simply lying.    Everything case opened for any reason counts against you, whether it is your fault our not.   

And by the way, all this is designed to help you improve your seller performance (**bleep**!).   But, let's just have ebay be honest for once, you don't split our ratings up into 21 categories to help our performance, you do that to drive our below standard ratings up to increase our fees.     The less items sold in a category simply means one or two opened cases create a 4% fee increase for ebay.     

And what will ebay do if you continue to be at the 40% penalty rate in a category (poor performance standards)?  NO ONE AT EBAY HAS A CLUE!

It would be great if an ebay rep reviewed all this information and stated definitively what is and what is not correct in this post, because this entire message is derived from two months of calling ebay several times a week.   Every fact I have posted was contradicted by ebay reps more than once until the 4 days ago, basically making it absolutely impossible for me to adequately prepare for the changes (the changes by the way are not derived from October 1st onward, they are from this month (on the 20th), September ratings are what October is using, even though ebay was only able to explain everything accurately starting from the 16th of September (not months ago as they stated, but 4 DAYS before the rating system started!).

Message 1 of 69
latest reply
68 REPLIES 68

Re: EBAY 40% SELLING PENALTIES STARTING OCTOBER 1ST

@hbidmeister wrote:

having read a few of the replies, I suspect the idea here is really to get people like me (small, hobby sellers) off the site.

couple of years ago Amazon jacked their fees up while giving buyers more leeway to return stuff for any dumb reason that pops into their heads. I suspect it drove many smaller sellers away (I deleted about 75 percent of my listings). this looks similar in that sellers with low sales will be immediately (and negatively) affected by ANY defect claims. if you don't sell a lot of merchandise it's very difficult to turn things around. we'll see how it works out, but that's what it looks like to me.

@hbidmeister

I'm not sure how you can come away with that if you read the policy.  Do you get more than 10 returns in a year in a specific category?  I would not think that most hobby sellers have that high of a rate of return, but anything is possible.

mam98031  •  Volunteer Community Member  •  Buyer/Seller since 1999
Message 46 of 69
latest reply

@pjcdn2005 wrote:

@adickson wrote:

Here is a fact to make you furious.   Each case that is opened, correct or not, solved immeditately or not, generates a $200 penalty (from the increase in ebay fees in that category) for a high volume seller like myself  for EACH month that it stays on my account, which is 3 months.  If a buyer opens a case for a $15 item that they did not receive even though tracking shows it has been delivered, that mistake by the buyer costs me $600 over three months (in that high volume category).   I can confidently say this because of all the cases that have been opened in all these categories of which I am being rated on.   Cases that are simple questions or items never returned or cases closed in my favor, all count against me and all guarantee that the fees in my high volume categories will ALWAYS have a 40% fee increase.    Each case incrementally increases my penalty rate to the point where it is maxed out.   At least the cases for me fall off after 3 months, the poor low volume sellers are stuck with the penalty automatically for a year (you have to sell over 400 items in three months to become a high volume seller).  

If a buyer files an inr you won't pay extra fees. With the new metrics, too many snad requests cause a fee increase but with 'too many' inr's, ebay might extend your delivery times.

What happens if I'm not performing as well as my peers?

Sellers who have an evaluation rate as Very High (meaning a very high percentage of transactions result in 'item not as described' returns and 'item not received' requests) might be subject to increased final value fees or time automatically added to delivery estimates.

https://www.ebay.com/help/policies/selling-policies/seller-performance-policy/service-metrics-policy...

You missed the word "OR".  Ebay's site, Ebay's choice.

Message 47 of 69
latest reply

@ittybitnot wrote:

How can somehow even enter a return request if i haven't even shipped out the item yet, 

This is allowed by ebay. Apparently since the buyer cannot file an INR til after the delivery date has passed, ebay helps them out by allowing any sort of liar buyer SNAD.  

Your question is "answered" here by an ebay staff person .  See message 10

https://community.ebay.com/t5/Selling/Buyer-opened-quot-doesn-t-seem-authentic-quot-return-before-th...

Ebay's response is not a bad one.  Sellers are NOT REQUIRED to ship with tracking nor are the required to mark an item as shipped.  Certainly it makes good sense to do these thing, but not all sellers do which is why Ebay allows the SNADs or BRs to be opened even if online it does show as shipped much less delivered.

Certainly as a seller I would always ship with tracking, but there are lots of sellers that do not.

Message 48 of 69
latest reply

I agree on that it is 40% increase on the invoice
Message 49 of 69
latest reply

I am in the same boat, check out my post

Message 50 of 69
latest reply

If my fees go up, I just go elsewhere.  I'm lucky that I'm not in a category with a lot of returns or complaints.

Good Moms let you lick the Beaters.

Great Moms turn them off first.
Message 51 of 69
latest reply

With all do respect and please hear me out....... Not all people being penalized are those doing such lousy jobs and should find other lines of work. 

After viewing the YouTube video of the sexy Australian with the killer accent I was able to figure out and confirm a few things. 

When compared to my peers who sell in this particular category, I’m compared to peers who only sell similar items but NOT compared to peers based on similar return policies. For this reason alone the service metric and your opinion is not valid or accurate. Of course I’m going to be very high because I don’t offer returns,  I’m surprised I’m only very high in one category. 

I understand why Ebay is doing this and I honestly think it’s a great idea but In order for the correct people to be penalized, Ebay will need to compare apples to apples not apples to coconuts. 

Message 52 of 69
latest reply

Pulls up a post not replied to in 3 months and thinks having a no return policy means they have a no return policy on ebay.

Could have at least said who the good looking austrailian is so we could go check it out.

Btw you do have a return policy provided to your customer by ebay whether you like it or not.
Message 53 of 69
latest reply

I must be the only stupid one!! I’m sure Ebay has sent generic info to me regarding the changes.  Only until I received an alert yesterday informing me I was very high in one area did I start researching it.  I googed the info but I didn’t realize the conversation I clicked on was so old.  

I don’t care if you agree with my return policy or not! My point is when someone doesn’t offer returns they will automatically be higher because buyers know how to get around someone’s return policy. 

Message 54 of 69
latest reply

gopetersen
Rockstar

If you sell 100 items and 3 items generate defects, that is a 3% defect rate.

BUT... If you sell 100 items and they are divided into categories where defects are tallied by category, this happens...

Category 1 is 10 items, 1 generates a defect, that is a 10% defect rate.

Category 2 is 50 items, 1 generates a defect, that is a 2% defect rate.

Category 3, 18 items, no defects

Category 4, 22 items, no defects

Category 5 is 2 items and a crabby buyer complains or scams and generates a defect, that is a 50% defect rate.

Out of 100 items, this is 3 defects and if they are all tallied together, that is 3%, but if they are broken down into categories, each category might accumulate high-percentage defect rates.

On a system where defects are compartmentalized, the greater the number of categories, the higher the potential for high defects.

Message 55 of 69
latest reply

Oops, sorry, Category 4 was supposed to be 20 items so it all adds up to 100. But you get the idea, when percentages are used, a single defect can create a high percentage in a low-quantity category.

Message 56 of 69
latest reply

Hit me today. I was informed my fees by 40%. I checked my return requests and many of them are remorse situation or closed requests. I sell on ebay since 17 years and they do this to me? Ebay woudlnt want to help in anyway. Time to switch to amazon?

Message 57 of 69
latest reply

Ebay needs to buy its own warehouses, its own products, its own staff and knock themselves out with their video game approach to doing business with real people. I thought the July app update was insane, then forced GTC pushing us smaller sellers out, and now in the same window they’re going after you big sellers too??? If this all doesn’t prove ebay has a major case of Amazon envy I don’t know what does. Nuts.
Message 58 of 69
latest reply

SORRY! DID NOT MEAN TO COMMENT! I WAS ON THE WRONG POST!
Message 59 of 69
latest reply

@entique_australia wrote:

Hit me today. I was informed my fees by 40%. I checked my return requests and many of them are remorse situation or closed requests. I sell on ebay since 17 years and they do this to me? Ebay woudlnt want to help in anyway. Time to switch to amazon?

In the Service Metrics [not your dashboard items] it is the mere fact that a SNAD was opened that counts against you.  It doesn't matter if it was filed correctly by the buyer, nor does the outcome matter.  The sheer fact it was opened is all that matters in the Service Metrics.

https://www.ebay.com/help/policies/selling-policies/seller-performance-policy/service-metrics-policy...

Message 60 of 69
latest reply