cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Does taking down watched listings help move them as buyers see they are always available?

I realize many sellers are watchers, but I have buyers that are watching as well. My question: Does taking down watched listings help move them as buyers see they are always available?

I recently took down 24 listings that had many watchers without any purchases, therefor thought the listings are always there so buyers think they will always be there so wait until the listings are reduced.

Message 1 of 17
latest reply
16 REPLIES 16

Does taking down watched listings help move them as buyers see they are always available?

Most "watchers" don't ever buy.  They may have one like it to sell and want to see what it can go for.  The watchers number was added many years ago when bidders cut way back on nibble bidding. eBay wanted some changing numbers for sellers to look at. They used to keep watching as the bid prices nibbled up.

Message 2 of 17
latest reply

I don't understand your strategy.  If you take down the listing, they sure won't be able to buy it, if they decide they want it.

Message 3 of 17
latest reply

it sounds like you need to reset your store.............this kind of lore is based in mythology

resetting the store cant be done but you can alwasy change the description and lower the price

there are a few things you can do to a listing such as go fill in some more IS  and other things to boost in searches.

this reminds me of the guy at the market looking at a sellers show case

"do you have anything  I did not already see last week"

buyer like fresh merchandise.................not old tired stale listings

Germantown proud Germantown strong
up the whiskey hickon
moving right along
Message 4 of 17
latest reply

I do tend to "reset" listings every once in a while, because from what I can tell listings get "stale" in the system as far as search and everything goes.  But I don't think doing it affects anything from a buyer psychology standpoint.

Message 5 of 17
latest reply

Hard to give a definitive answer. Looks like you sell a varied amount of inventory. In antiques and collectibles stale is always bad. That's why I do auctions.  The message is its now or never if you are interested. I know I watch items for lots of different reasons, including they are so crazy overpriced I want to see what happens.

You can send an offer to watchers o trying a price reduction might move some people off the dime. Other items just take time.  Those markets may have limited buyers and they may watch an item while they look other places, wait until they really want it, etc.

I am not 100% on this but I assume length of time on eBay is a factor in search results at least by best match. The longer its been on the lower the result. Of course searching newly listed will also put you down the list.

Why not try and experiment. End a couple of listings, maybe improve them if you can, and see if they sell.

Message 6 of 17
latest reply

I don't think I would have taken them down.

Is your intention to put them back shortly?  Buyers have a hard enough time finding something to begin with.

As a Buyer, I watch many items.  Some are true "wish list" items - do not "need" it, but want it.  I have purchased many items several weeks later. 

When you ended the listing, what reason did you choose?  As a buyer, I can see that when I click on it in my watched "ended".  If it says no longer available, I delete the item and move on. 

As a Seller, we have many tools available to us to sell.  Taking down a listing with many watchers is not a strategy I would employ.

....... "The Ranger isn't gonna like it Yogi"......... Boo-Boo knew what he was talking about!

Posting ID Only.......
Yes, I have no Bananas, only Flamethrowers.......
Message 7 of 17
latest reply

auctionpet
Guide

@my_boston_baked_beans wrote:

I realize many sellers are watchers, but I have buyers that are watching as well. My question: Does taking down watched listings help move them as buyers see they are always available?

I recently took down 24 listings that had many watchers without any purchases, therefor thought the listings are always there so buyers think they will always be there so wait until the listings are reduced.

How do you know whether they are buyers or sellers watching? No possible way to tell.

Message 8 of 17
latest reply

I don't think removing listings is the way to go.....  Buyers change everyday/want something different/new buyers come on........  The red widget no one has bought in 6 months.....could be a "hot" seller next wk/month/yr. because of an post on facebook/I broke mine/I want one that I just saw at a friends.....

We too often seem to assume that Ebay is static.......but a 2 yr old listing is brand new to a new customer......

Message 9 of 17
latest reply

@katzrul15 wrote:

I don't think I would have taken them down.

Is your intention to put them back shortly?  Buyers have a hard enough time finding something to begin with.

As a Buyer, I watch many items.  Some are true "wish list" items - do not "need" it, but want it.  I have purchased many items several weeks later. 

When you ended the listing, what reason did you choose?  As a buyer, I can see that when I click on it in my watched "ended".  If it says no longer available, I delete the item and move on. 

As a Seller, we have many tools available to us to sell.  Taking down a listing with many watchers is not a strategy I would employ.

This^^ 

My watchlist overfloweth...

I often go back & purchase items from it- 

As a seller, when I have a lot listed (ATM I do not lol) I never pay attention to who is watching my stuff (or is it whom is watching?) oh well no matter, I just don't watch the watchers.. 

~Pika~
People in life that are the happiest don't have the most,, they make the most of what they have...

Message 10 of 17
latest reply

Change is always good as the items were too predictable always being there. If a buyer is seriously interested when I relist they may buy thinking it may not be so readily available. I have done this before and have gotten some sales.

Message 11 of 17
latest reply

Exactly.  And I do not send offers to them.

Especially with the crazy search on here, if it helps someone stay connected to my stuff, then Yay!

....... "The Ranger isn't gonna like it Yogi"......... Boo-Boo knew what he was talking about!

Posting ID Only.......
Yes, I have no Bananas, only Flamethrowers.......
Message 12 of 17
latest reply

If other watcher are anything like me, they watch because they are not ready to buy.

And aside from lowering the price, there is nothing a seller can do to change my mind and make me want to buy.

The other factors that affect my buying decisions about watched items are not something the seller can change. 

Message 13 of 17
latest reply

I personally like doing this to shake off the watchers. I don't want watchers, I want buyers. I have had a little bit of luck with someone who panics a little and buys it upon relisting with the recognition the item may be pulled at any time.

I had some clothes for sale that all had watchers. I'd end and relist and the item would be rewatched so not as fruitful a strategy as with my collectibles. With managed payments looming, I decided clothes are a dead item to sell now and took shoes and clothes to a local resale shop. They bought everything I brought and I walked out with $300 cash in hand. They had been listed for over a year here.

Message 14 of 17
latest reply

If they are too dumb to find the item again in search, imagine their post sale behavior. Lol. 

Message 15 of 17
latest reply