cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Does eBay pay for the listing fee when it lists your item without your consent?

I dont understand this new term:

"We(eBay) may automatically renew your fixed-price listings unless your listing sells out or you cancel your listing" 

If eBay does NOT pay for the relisting fee but relist the items for me then force  me to pay,  it sounds like a robbery to me.  

if I dont want to give eBay a chance to  commit the crime,  when sould I cancel my listing? do I have to cancel the listing 12 hours before it ends so eBay wont get a chance to Auto-relist?

Message 1 of 32
latest reply
31 REPLIES 31

Re: Does eBay pay for the listing fee when it lists your item without your consent?

@bste9835 wrote:
That's not what happened to me. I rarely list 30 days fixed price, and NEVER use good 'til cancelled. I also use the advanced listing form. This past week, two of my expired 30-day listings were relisted by eBay.....

That's an unacceptable glitch. Reports of unrequested relists have been coming in for weeks, and they're not always about 30-day listings.  Since it happened before the new UA terms went into effect, it's apparently some other cause.  I hope that canceling on day 29 would help prevent those unintended relists, but don't count on it.

Message 16 of 32
latest reply

Re: Does eBay pay for the listing fee when it lists your item without your consent?

Add me to the confused list.

If I cancel a 30 day fixed price listing on day 29 so eBay cannot automatically relist, and the item goes into my unsold list, do I have to delete it from the unsold list too just in case eBay decides to relist it? 

Or does the relisting happen only right after the listing ends but once it goes into the unsold file it is "safe" from this?

Supposedly this will happen only if you used the quick listing form.  If they succeed in doing this to sellers, I think it won't be long till we are all forced into using the quick form.  After all, just follow the money......

Message 17 of 32
latest reply

Unbelieveable!  I list in spurts, since I travel a lot.  I do NOT want my listings automatically relisted.  BAD, BAD idea.

Message 18 of 32
latest reply

Most of us are as in the dark as you are. We have finally heard more from a couple of the blues stating it's for occasional or new sellers and that it is only the new listing tool. If true - I feel bad for them as new sellers may not know they have an option as to length of time when listing a fixed price - will just do the quick listing and think nothing of it. The occasional sellers - probably don't pay attention to announcements - and will list not knowing that item will be GTC. They may think the AI Ebay has knows that they list their fixed priced items for 30 days based on what the normally have done. ( Mind you - this was what we were told about the ship estimates buyer's received  - didn't matter if you changed from a 1 to 3 day handling time - since you usually got that item out in the past in 1 day - the AI quoted shipping times as such. )

There have been other posters who have actually called Ebay and the CS reps are giving them a completely different version of what the relist means. No one is on the same page. Ebay obviously never used a focus group to see what questions or problems sellers might ask concerning the policy which is so broad and can be interpreted differently by different people.

Message 19 of 32
latest reply

Yeah ... I noted that as well. It's hard to understand how it's even legal for them to do so. I suspected that fees might be the reason, because currently and most time, if I want to relist there is no fee.

What about times I may not be available to answer questions, or ship, or ... ? Does ebay think they know all about my life and schedules?

Someone needs to think this through a little better.
Message 20 of 32
latest reply

Just another dumb idea like GDP that is sinking the Titanic, instead of extending the time eBay keeps sold items in the database, something that would actually make sellers and eBay money and save millions of man hours for sellers, they come up with this lunacy, someone at the very top needs to be fired for lack of leadership.

Message 21 of 32
latest reply

@tonycea wrote:

Just another dumb idea like GDP that is sinking the Titanic, instead of extending the time eBay keeps sold items in the database, something that would actually make sellers and eBay money and save millions of man hours for sellers, they come up with this lunacy, someone at the very top needs to be fired for lack of leadership.

just my 2 cents. if they did this new policy, and the GTC like me are not affected, but everyone is talking about canceling on day 29, it KINDA sounds like ebay is trying to push the used stuff out.

i dont agree with this. im just saying if u look at the nuts and bolts of it, it kinda sounds like they are trying to push to new items at the expense of used (who usually do 30 day or auction). maybe its their way to force to go the river way, i dont know. but the writing on the wall tells a lot

Message 22 of 32
latest reply

It is an illegal fee grab, just as bad as the Wells Fargo fraud, it will not stand, eBay will reverse this policy before it even starts, the top executives can't be this stupid, Devin needs to show some leadership instead of sticking his head in the sand on this lunacy.

Message 23 of 32
latest reply

@tonycea wrote:

It is an illegal fee grab, just as bad as the Wells Fargo fraud, it will not stand, eBay will reverse this policy before it even starts, the top executives can't be this stupid, Devin needs to show some leadership instead of sticking his head in the sand on this lunacy.

Actually, yes they can.

Look at their track record... Smiley Indifferent

Message 24 of 32
latest reply

One of the so many reasons not to sell here anymore.

Message 25 of 32
latest reply

@gracieallen01 wrote:

"Does eBay pay for the listing fee when it lists your item without your consent?"

No. ebay doesn't pay.

I think ebay figures that since it is documented in the UA that they are, maybe, going to relist it, YOU get to pay since YOU initiated the listing, and have given YOUR consent.

As a matter of fact, according to the UA, just about the only thing you still own, when you have listed an item, is the physical possession of the item - you have given ebay ALL rights to the description, photos, intellectual content, etc.

I don't understand why there is NOT more outrage about this part of the summer updates. These are the things that MAKE OR BREAK A Seller. I Like to buy from Sellers that are good at photos and descriptions! They are taking OUR hard work and that is worth money! Maybe later on they will want to charge a cost for using eBay photos r Maybe they will make a catalogue Selling pictures to others like some of the online photo companies do. 

I just wasted $50. buying stuff to take pictures like a vignette to showcase My products what a waste of money! I felt/feel like that having good pictures/listing titles/ descriptions  would help me sell things others sell and give me a jump ahead....I guess IF everyone can steal My pictures why bother?

I am wondering IF this move is just because so many Sellers NOW are stealing good pictures/listing titles/ descriptions and That is costing ebay money to look at the complaints and hire people to go through the complaints. 

Message 26 of 32
latest reply

One of the so many reasons not to sell here anymore.

Message 27 of 32
latest reply

@partial*eclipse wrote:

That ridiculouly vague policy is apparently trying to say that If you (1) have sold no more than 25 items in the past 12 months and if you (2) use the Quick version of the listing form, and if you (3)  choose fixed price format, then (4) the listing duration will automatically be set to "Good until canceled."

The above comment is based on this post by an eBay staff member (link should go directly to post #235):

http://community.ebay.com/t5/2017-Summer-Seller-Update-User/Fixed-Price-Listing-Renewals-UA-Update/m...

@partial*eclipse wrote:

That ridiculouly vague policy is apparently trying to say that If you (1) have sold no more than 25 items in the past 12 months and if you (2) use the Quick version of the listing form, and if you (3)  choose fixed price format, then (4) the listing duration will automatically be set to "Good until canceled."

The above comment is based on this post by an eBay staff member (link should go directly to post #235):

http://community.ebay.com/t5/2017-Summer-Seller-Update-User/Fixed-Price-Listing-Renewals-UA-Update/m...

Then why didn't they just put those qualifiers in the UA agreement email they sent out! Geeeesh!

Message 28 of 32
latest reply

"I don't understand why there is NOT more outrage about this part of the summer updates. These are the things that MAKE OR BREAK A Seller. "

Because not many sellers - people, in general - bother to read the UA or TOS (think about how may the average person gets and how much 'fine print' there is) ....

.... OR, they don't stop and THINK about just what, exactly, it means.

Not saying 'NO' doesn't mean 'YES'.

The foolishness of one's actions or words is determined by the number of witnesses.

Perhaps if Brains were described as an APP, many people would use them more often.

Respect, like money, is only of 'worth' when it is earned - with all due respect, it can not be ordained, legislated or coerced. Anonymous
Message 29 of 32
latest reply

gracieallen01 wrote: ...not many sellers - people, in general - bother to read the UA or TOS (think about how may the average person gets and how much 'fine print' there is) ....

Exactly.  There would have been no commotion at all if that "Updates" email hadn't had that bulleted list of "Key updates," but if it had instead just provided a link or even if it had presented that same info in a paragraph of text instead of a bulleted list.

Message 30 of 32
latest reply