cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Does This Type Photo for Books Violate the Rules?

Or is only megasellers who can get away with this?

[I am not discussing here that actual photos would result in higher sales]

--
Jonathan Grobe
Message 1 of 25
latest reply
24 REPLIES 24

Let's put it this way:

If you or I did that, we'd be thrown in Ebay jail for a few days. Technically it violates the rules, we're just not special enough to be able to violate the rules like some sellers are.

The easier you are to offend the easier you are to control.

We seem to be getting closer and closer to a situation where nobody is responsible for what they did but we are all responsible for what somebody else did. - Thomas Sowell
Message 2 of 25
latest reply

@southern*sweet*tea wrote:

Let's put it this way:

If you or I did that, we'd be thrown in Ebay jail for a few days. Technically it violates the rules, we're just not special enough to be able to violate the rules like some sellers are.

We keep getting told that everyone has to play by the same rules, no special sellers and no favoritism!

Is that more double speak or speak with forked tongue or just out right lies?

Message 3 of 25
latest reply

I hate placeholder non-photos in the book and music categories. If it's preowned I want to see photos of the actual item I'm purchasing- or if the seller has many copies then at least a photo of an item that accurately represents the condition. I refuse to purchase from listings with non-photo placeholders.

Message 4 of 25
latest reply

Who says you have to post an actual picture ? Why are you concerned about others and not yourself ?

Message 5 of 25
latest reply

@coolections wrote:

Who says you have to post an actual picture ? Why are you concerned about others and not yourself ?

Really?

You don't think buyers should be able to see what they're buying?

The easier you are to offend the easier you are to control.

We seem to be getting closer and closer to a situation where nobody is responsible for what they did but we are all responsible for what somebody else did. - Thomas Sowell
Message 6 of 25
latest reply

@papermoneyforme wrote:
We keep getting told that everyone has to play by the same rules, no special sellers and no favoritism!

Who keeps telling you that everyone has to play by the same rules?

eBay says that some sellers are allowed to sell masks, and most others aren't.

eBay says that some sellers are allowed to sell digitally delivered items, and most others aren't.

eBay says that some sellers are being forced into Managed Payments now, but others aren't yet.

eBay says that some sellers get payment holds, while others don't.

Message 7 of 25
latest reply

@southern*sweet*tea 

If I am a buyer I would pass on that sale. With that said in 22 years there has not been a day gone buy that I have not seen an item listed exactly like what was posted. Not all buyers care if there is an actual picture.  It is a book, they already know what it looks like. I also don't understand why the OP is concerned about how someone else lists their item.

Message 8 of 25
latest reply

@papermoneyforme wrote:

@southern*sweet*tea wrote:

Let's put it this way:

Is that more double speak or speak with forked tongue or just out right lies?

But .... but .... but .... but, aren't there exceptions to every rule?

(darn, hid that sarcasm font again)

Not saying 'NO' doesn't mean 'YES'.

The foolishness of one's actions or words is determined by the number of witnesses.

Perhaps if Brains were described as an APP, many people would use them more often.

Respect, like money, is only of 'worth' when it is earned - with all due respect, it can not be ordained, legislated or coerced. Anonymous
Message 9 of 25
latest reply

@coolections wrote:

https://www.ebay.com/help/policies/listing-policies/picture-policy?id=4370

"When you create a listing or product, you must include at least one photo...."

"The following are not allowed:

• Photos that don't accurately represent the item
  • Placeholder images used to convey messages
  • Stock photos for used, damaged, or defective items
  • Photos with added borders
  • Photos with added text, artwork or marketing material
  • Watermarks of any type, including those used for ownership attributions"

Message 10 of 25
latest reply

@fashunu4eeuh wrote:

@coolections wrote:

https://www.ebay.com/help/policies/listing-policies/picture-policy?id=4370

"When you create a listing or product, you must include at least one photo...."

"The following are not allowed:

• Photos that don't accurately represent the item
  • Placeholder images used to convey messages
  • Stock photos for used, damaged, or defective items
  • Photos with added borders
  • Photos with added text, artwork or marketing material
  • Watermarks of any type, including those used for ownership attributions"

I have always wondered why eBay doesn't enforce these rules.  The system can detect if I accidentally try to use the same photos in two listings.  Yet in the computers category I see many large sellers than use their business logo for the product photo and nothing else.

Message 11 of 25
latest reply

@coffeebean832 wrote:

I hate placeholder non-photos in the book and music categories. If it's preowned I want to see photos of the actual item I'm purchasing- or if the seller has many copies then at least a photo of an item that accurately represents the condition. I refuse to purchase from listings with non-photo placeholders.

Ditto.

Undone - Bachman & Cummings
Message 12 of 25
latest reply

@coolections wrote:

Give it a rest.

When you dine with leopards, it is wise to check the menu lest you find yourself as the main course.

#freedomtoread
#readbannedbooks
Message 13 of 25
latest reply

@chapeau-noir 

We are discussing a topic and I asked a legitimate question I would like the OP to answer. Your rude post does not belong here. Move along.

Message 14 of 25
latest reply

Books online have traditionally been sold with stock images wither sold from the largest online retailer, drop shipped from a publisher's overstock source or shipped from your uncle Fred's basement.   The platforms usually follow a recognized grading system listed onsite.   When half dot com was part of the eBay portfolio you didn't need pictures.   Many books are so rare there are no ready stock images.   Google and check a book's ISBN or title online to see how rare $$$ a book is, if they don't have an image up likely eBay will let it pass.

Message 15 of 25
latest reply