cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Buyer wants part of an auction

I am selling 2 statues. I got a question asking if I would sell one separately. Can I accept an offer and end the auction, or do I need to relist each item separately?

Message 1 of 7
latest reply
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

Since the auction has not received any bids, you can revise it so that it offers only the one that this buyer wants. Revise the title, images, description, and price.  

If you set the price at a price you are willing to sell for, then when this buyer has placed their bid you can use a seller's option to end an auction at any time to sell to the current high bidder right away.  Or you can let the auction run its full time to see if somebody else is also interested in that item.

http://offer.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?EndingMyAuction

View Best Answer in original post

Message 5 of 7
latest reply
6 REPLIES 6

If you accept an offer as is you could be in danger. The buyer could buy it then complain they only got one and the listing shows two. If you truly want to sell just one then end the listing and list the two separately. Let the potential buyer know what you did.

Message 2 of 7
latest reply

You need to have the 1 statue in its own listing. DO NOT accept an offer on your Bison and Akuna statues through the listing you have set up. That listing is for 2 statues, and you'll be expected to ship 2 statues.

If it were me, I'd probably revise the live auction (no bids) to sell only the statue the buyer didn't want. Then, I'd make a BIN listing out of the one you're discussing with the buyer and set it up for 'Immediate Payment Required'. Give the listing a name... message the buyer that you're making a listing and message the buyer with the listing number after it's up. The buyer can snatch it up and the culled statue is still for sale.

But that's just me...

Message 3 of 7
latest reply

@5055bennett - To begin with you can only cancel an auction as long as no one has entered a bid. So long as that is the status then you should cancel this auction right away. Then create the same auction but only for one statue. make sure to only photograph one statue and change the listing to say only one statue. Check what you've written before you post it again. Add the buy it now button and send the new ID# to the interested buyer. After they purchase it you can go back and list the second statue using the same description. Easy, peasy and congrats on selling your statue. Best of luck to you....

Message 4 of 7
latest reply

Since the auction has not received any bids, you can revise it so that it offers only the one that this buyer wants. Revise the title, images, description, and price.  

If you set the price at a price you are willing to sell for, then when this buyer has placed their bid you can use a seller's option to end an auction at any time to sell to the current high bidder right away.  Or you can let the auction run its full time to see if somebody else is also interested in that item.

http://offer.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?EndingMyAuction

Message 5 of 7
latest reply

@lamber9347 wrote:

@5055bennett - To begin with you can only cancel an auction as long as no one has entered a bid. So long as that is the status then you should cancel this auction right away.  ....

That is not true. If the auction has more than 12 hours left, then the seller can cancel all the bids and end the auction early with no sale. In this case, it's a moot point since the auction in question has not received any bids.

Message 6 of 7
latest reply

I would go with the "revise a no bid listing route. rather than the cancel.

eBay has been known to levy a FVF on a listing that gets cancelled after there has been communication between a seller, and a potential buyer.

The "bots" think the sale is going "off" eBay.

Even a relist of the item does not convince them.

Message 7 of 7
latest reply