cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Does This Type Photo for Books Violate the Rules?

Or is only megasellers who can get away with this?

[I am not discussing here that actual photos would result in higher sales]

--
Jonathan Grobe
Message 1 of 25
latest reply
24 REPLIES 24

I am, of course, speaking only for myself, but I'd never buy an item with a "photo" like that. The problem should take care of itself, but I suppose some folks don't even need to see what they're buying?

Message 16 of 25
latest reply

@coolections wrote:

@chapeau-noir 

We are discussing a topic and I asked a legitimate question I would like the OP to answer. Your rude post does not belong here. Move along.

OK, now that was actually funny!

“The most common way people give up their power is by thinking they don’t have any.”
— Alice Walker

#freedomtoread
#readbannedbooks
Message 17 of 25
latest reply

I would just like to add that as a devote reader and frequent buyer of books that  I would be one of those buyers that really need to see a picture of the book i am considering buying 

just take a photo 

and give me a GOOD  description  i may have found a book i was not that familiar with but by an author i like

all the best

Message 18 of 25
latest reply

Yes, and a lot of times they don't have an image because they don't have the book or they don't have an image for it and it is a cheap print-on-demand of an expensive book.  I've sold expensive books for years - I was selling books to Amazon before they were Amazon and just a book search working out of a garage - and I have the books and provide images of the books I sell.  There is no excuse other than it might cost and someone might have to do a little work.

Not saying 'NO' doesn't mean 'YES'.

The foolishness of one's actions or words is determined by the number of witnesses.

Perhaps if Brains were described as an APP, many people would use them more often.

Respect, like money, is only of 'worth' when it is earned - with all due respect, it can not be ordained, legislated or coerced. Anonymous
Message 19 of 25
latest reply

I've solved the mystery!

Since Guidepost mysteries do not have an ISBN, they are not part of eBay's book catalog. When listing something not in the catalog, I guess the seller can use any photo they like. Also, this type of seller most likely sells on multiple online sites and lists using a file feed.

Message 20 of 25
latest reply

" Many books are so rare there are no ready stock images. "

Then how can a seller list and sell the book if they don't have a copy of it to photo?  I don't get the point of that statement.

Message 21 of 25
latest reply

@mysterylanevintage wrote:

I've solved the mystery!

Since Guidepost mysteries do not have an ISBN, they are not part of eBay's book catalog. When listing something not in the catalog, I guess the seller can use any photo they like. Also, this type of seller most likely sells on multiple online sites and lists using a file feed.

They're a monthly subscription service with their own writers and series - I guess that would explain no ISBN - with their own catalog they don't need one.   Still, they DO have covers, but with a file exchange and a large download I guess 'no photo' IS the cover. 

“The most common way people give up their power is by thinking they don’t have any.”
— Alice Walker

#freedomtoread
#readbannedbooks
Message 22 of 25
latest reply

@moondogblues wrote:

" Many books are so rare there are no ready stock images. "

Then how can a seller list and sell the book if they don't have a copy of it to photo?  I don't get the point of that statement.

The seller is one of those huge-azzzz gigantic ones with over 5 million listings - everything is done in huge bulk and listings probably served through a multi-channel API.  They have their own UPCs (I've gotten books from them - they have their own website as well) but I suspect if the book has no ISBN it just spits out as a generic title as OP shows, but it's one of so many millions that it doesn't matter - I'm not sure anyone is taking photos at that outfit! 

— Alice Walker

#freedomtoread
#readbannedbooks
Message 23 of 25
latest reply

I collect books and I love to read them.  If there is no picture, and there are no others to be found, I will buy the no picture book to read.  If I love the book, and it's in poor condition, then I will start searching for a better quality.  I will not put off reading a book  until a nice copy becomes available.  When I want to read it, I want it quickly.  There are many people who will buy a book, sight unseen.  In fact it was the norm to buy books without pictures of the covers in the days before the internet.  

Message 24 of 25
latest reply

Yes - unless it's a collectible book I don't care that much - the only thing is books with underlining and margin notes because it's so distracting, though I go through books pretty quick and don't have the kind of money to be picky about book condition unless it's a 'special' book.

— Alice Walker

#freedomtoread
#readbannedbooks
Message 25 of 25
latest reply