cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Do you think USPS "if it fits, it ships" will ever come back?

Do you think that USPS will ever bring back the boxes where if your item fit in the box, you could ship it in that box up to about 75 lb. or so? The reason I ask is because  I had purchased an expensive shredder that allowed cardboard to go through. I used that as my fill for what I was shipping. Worked great. But can't use it now because cardboard fill weighs too much. Wondering if I should hold onto the shredder or try to sell it? Opinions please. TIA.

Message 1 of 32
latest reply
31 REPLIES 31

Re: Do you think USPS "if it fits, it ships" will ever come back?

Those boxes are known as the Priority Mail flat rate boxes and you can purchase postage for them through eBay shipping. The weight limit is 70 pounds. They can be a good value for packages that are heavy and/or going to farther Zones.

Order them here:

https://store.usps.com/store/results/free-shipping-supplies/priority-mail/boxes/shipping-supplies/_/....

Message 2 of 32
latest reply

They still have that.  They are priority flat rate envelopes and boxes.  They have a weight limit but it is typically very high and would be pretty hard to exceed.  

Message 3 of 32
latest reply

Flat rate boxes have never gone away and are still here. They did eliminate regional rate boxes. One thing I noticed is that if I create a listing through the app I am not given the option of offering the flat rate option to the customer. Only on the desk site. 
I cannot fathom that the USPS will ever eliminate flat rate boxes as they are surely a money maker for the post office as they are the only free boxes available at my local post office and for most shipments they end up as a more expensive option

Message 4 of 32
latest reply

Priority boxes have gotten more flimsy over the years. Can't imagine shipping anything that weighed 70 pounds.

Message 5 of 32
latest reply

I read this totally different! Post is a little confusing with word play. 

Sound more like the O.P. is taking the USPS flat rate boxes and shredding them for packing material. 

If so, that is jail time if caught!

Message 6 of 32
latest reply

Hard to say but I do have some shredded packing material here that would usually be used for gift baskets. Works great on flat rate boxes where weight is not an issue until I use the stuff up

Message 7 of 32
latest reply

If the boxes are used from the O.P. receiving packages in flat rate USPS boxes, no big deal, but if the O.P. is going into local USPS locations and grabbing new boxes to shred, that can be a serious issue. 

Message 8 of 32
latest reply

No, I wasn't talking about that. 

Message 9 of 32
latest reply

NO. I AM NOT DOING THAT!!!

Message 10 of 32
latest reply

So they still have the boxes marked "small, medium, large" but not the regional A or B. Is that correct? 

Message 11 of 32
latest reply

@lux-libri wrote:

Priority boxes have gotten more flimsy over the years. Can't imagine shipping anything that weighed 70 pounds.

You can put a sturdier box inside them.

Message 12 of 32
latest reply

Does anyone know if regional boxes can still be used with priority mail?  I have some leftovers and was wondering if they can be used for priority services.

KrazzyKats
Volunteer Community Mentor

Message 13 of 32
latest reply

@krazzykats wrote:

Does anyone know if regional boxes can still be used with priority mail?  I have some leftovers and was wondering if they can be used for priority services.

My understanding is that you can use them, they will be charged at the regular Priority rates.  You'd probably want to mark through the RR info just to be on the safe side.

The easier you are to offend the easier you are to control.

We seem to be getting closer and closer to a situation where nobody is responsible for what they did but we are all responsible for what somebody else did. - Thomas Sowell
Message 14 of 32
latest reply

@lux-libri wrote:

I think to get to 70 pounds it would have to be a solid cube of metal.

I have received 35 pounds of screws in the Large Flat Rate Box.  The box is always busted.  The screws are in a heavy duty plastic bag and this is what keeps it all contained plus so much clear packing tape that it looks like stretch wrap plastic film.

Message 15 of 32
latest reply