cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Disappointed in ebay

eBay is no fun anymore. I have been a member since the ‘90’s and used to have fun selling. Now things are not selling and not even getting views. That is very discouraging. I work hard at taking pictures, writing descriptions etc only to find no one views my listings. I have even tried the “promote it” which doesn’t help. Only gives eBay more money. Anyone have any suggestions? Would appreciate any ideas to help. Thanks 

Message 1 of 20
latest reply
19 REPLIES 19

Re: Disappointed in ebay

You only have 11 items for sale and you have sold 5 in the last 45 days. You are doing better than a lot of us on sale thru rate.

Posting ID
Message 2 of 20
latest reply

I'm not sure I'm qualified to give advice, but I think you have cool stuff!  😎  

Message 3 of 20
latest reply

Your items are fine, but eBay is overloaded with collectibles.  It's hard to be found.

When you dine with leopards, it is wise to check the menu lest you find yourself as the main course.

#freedomtoread
#readbannedbooks
Message 4 of 20
latest reply

Ebay stopped being about auction format many years ago.  Only a tiny percentage of auctions actually sell now and most of those sell significantly cheaper than buy it now prices.

Message 5 of 20
latest reply

I wouldn’t even look at auction items.

When I want to buy something, I want it immediately + on its way to me at once.

Auctions = kiss of death…

Message 6 of 20
latest reply

Thank you 

Message 7 of 20
latest reply

@brlagniappe  For one thing, u need to list waaaaay more items if u want to reach more buyers

Anyway, I can remember lots and lots and lots of things that were far better in the '90s

Thanx for hanging in there for so long, lots of the '90s sellers are discouraged on how different eBay is now compared to then, but what IS the same as then?

List more stuff!!

Message 8 of 20
latest reply

Why are you disappointed in ebay because the general public is not looking at or buying your items?

Ebay can't make them look at and buy your items.

Undone - Bachman & Cummings
Message 9 of 20
latest reply

Its several factors.

Its ebay issues.  For example, search is not great.  The system has glitches all over the place. This affects everyone selling here.

Its the economy.  Its affecting mostly everyone selling.

Its a sellers inventory and how popular what they have is.  Do they have highly desirable and hot/in demand items, or are they more long-tail, or not as collected anymore.

These are the 3 basic factors as to what affects sales right now.

Message 10 of 20
latest reply

Along with the super-saturated collectibles market, fewer and fewer people are collecting many items - tastes change, and though there will also be interest, it will be less.  The 90s was over a generation ago, many generations ago in etailing years - things are very different. I'd also list more - you sold some very good items.

When you dine with leopards, it is wise to check the menu lest you find yourself as the main course.

#freedomtoread
#readbannedbooks
Message 11 of 20
latest reply

If you noticed, most of your sold items received only one bid. That suggests that the items would probably be better suited for fixed price rather than auctions. Buyers want their items as soon as possible and some don’t want to wait to see the outcome of an auction. 

Note: Shipping insurance is for the seller to be made whole in case of loss or damage in transit. (Buyers have the Money Back Guarantee.) As such, eBay expects sellers to no longer include insurance as a separate charge for buyers. 

Message 12 of 20
latest reply

@fashunu4eeuh wrote:

Note: Shipping insurance is for the seller to be made whole in case of loss or damage in transit. (Buyers have the Money Back Guarantee.) As such, eBay expects sellers to no longer include insurance as a separate charge for buyers. 

Not to mention that if you're shipping via Priority Mail, it includes $100 worth of coverage automatically.

Message 13 of 20
latest reply

There are 1000s of us, maybe more, who feel exactly the same way.  I had 100s of listings.  Next to nothing was happening.  Now I only have a few.  4 sales in April.  4 in May.  1 of the April sales ended up with eBay refunding a buyer 3-4 days before he received his mail.  Have I seen a return payment for that item?  No!  I cannot give you any suggestions on how to improve eBay sales.  My only advice is on improving sales in general.  I've dedicated myself to selling more on Marketplace.  Spread your wings.  No fees!  Occasional shipping.  Waiting for a buyer right now.  Paper products - old magazines, etc.  Cash in hand.  🙂  The way to go.  Good luck to you & all.

Message 14 of 20
latest reply

You are running auctions. The two problems I see is your starting price is at or equal to the ending price and some of the stuff is just not something you should be auctioning and there is just not enough demand. Buyers do not go to auctions unless they have a very low starting price so they can bid up if they choose and if it is something in demand.

Message 15 of 20
latest reply