cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dinnerware set - list items separately or as whole set, or...?

First, from other topics I know I might be a bit crazy to try to sell - well, ship - full dinnerware sets!  

Aside from that, I am wondering which of the following methods the community thinks would be the best way to sell a complete dinnerware set (6 pieces, 6 settings):

1.  Sell as a complete set = 36 pieces  (approx. 35 pounds)
  2.  Sell as individual items (i.e. 6 dinner plates, 6 salad plates, 6 cup/saucer sets, etc.)
  3.  Sell as individual place settings (i.e. 6 individual complete settings)
  • Option 1 is preferable to me because I would like to keep the set together, but it could be a shipping nightmare.
  • Option 2 allows for me to end up with random numbers of things as people complete their own sets, thus never selling some of it.
  • Option 3 lets me keep place settings together, but I could end up with a stray set leftover.

Note that for Options 2 & 3 I would also offer volume discounts.

Thank you in advance!!

MT

P.S.  After reading the first round of FANTASTIC replies (thank you!), I should add that the set is vintage (produced 1969-1985) ceramic (not china) and in near-mint condition... 

Message 1 of 9
latest reply
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

Re: Dinnerware set - list items separately or as whole set, or...?

Dishes are one of the toughest sells anymore, whether selling on eBay or outside of eBay. It depends entirely on what your set is to determine which way of selling it is best. If it's a gorgeous vintage or antique set by a hard to find manufacturer and is in perfect condition, then I would do as slippinjimmy suggests and try it out as a complete set, only price it even higher than you're hoping because of the huge pain it's going to be to pack it, especially if there are serving pieces in it.

I've sold a couple complete sets of dishes long ago in the past, when they were actually in demand, and it's nothing but worrying about the package from the time you ship it until the time the buyer gives gives you indication that they received the set and they love it.

If the dishes are of the common variety that can be found all over eBay World, then I would probably get rid of them elsewhere like on FB Marketplace or in a B&M auction for whatever they would go for, which probably wouldn't be too much.  To sell a commonplace set on eBay, I would probably split it up because there are often more buyers that have the same dishes already but are looking for certain pieces of the set to replace damaged ones they have. I know of an eBay buyer near me who has a lot of time on his hands who will buy a complete set of dishes for next to nothing and make pretty good money by peacemealing it out because he knows there are lots of people who will often pay more for a dish or two than what they're worth when buying to replace one or two of their damaged ones.

View Best Answer in original post

Message 8 of 9
latest reply
8 REPLIES 8

Complete set...I got invited for a Thanksgiving dinner last year and we had to bring our own plates before dinner and pick them up after dinner. LOL

No one will buy one setting unless it is a replacement for chip dishes....and scary thought is buyer returning their chip dishes instead of yours for a refund. And "no refunds" does not mean "no refunds" on eBay.

I would try "pick-up" as well as only "domestic shipping"(no "freight forward" USA addresses as well).

Message 2 of 9
latest reply

For Breakable items like Dinnerware ..especially a Set with 36 pieces...I would recommend that you Select Local Pickup Only...and Offer NO Shipping Option....

If even One Piece (or More) Breaks in Transit...no matter how Well you think you Pack...the Buyer will Not be Happy...and there Could be Refund Issues......I would Never ship a Set of Dishes...I recommend that you Sell them Locally...

Message 3 of 9
latest reply

Start with the full set at a price you are happy with. After a month or so if you have no "action" then maybe try breaking it up.

Of course it depends on the specific set, there could be differences if it's an old no longer produced set that was at one time very popular as opposed to a set that is still available from the manufacturer.

Message 4 of 9
latest reply

I once sold a  large set of rather desirable dishes. I only made one listing at a time of one serving piece or a few like items like saucers. I did not want a shipping nightmare of a whole set or even a mini nightmare of a buyer wanting a couple listings combined. I sold them all except one plate I broke myself.  I personally won’t touch a set that isn’t worth much due to the shipping liability outweighing the profit.

Message 5 of 9
latest reply

Depends on the dinnerware set.

Is it a desirable set? Sell it as a whole. 

Is it something that would sell by bits and pieces? Sell it that way.

I've sold complete sets (long time ago).

Boxed the plates together, boxed the saucers and cups in a separate box. Taped boxes together and shipped. Or if using different sized boxes, weigh and print labels for both.

Message 6 of 9
latest reply

Unless it is English bone china, I would sell it locally.   I have done so with complete sets of ordinary china thru a local consignment shop.   Sold quickly for a good price.

Have sold lots of English bone china in the past, always one piece at a time.   This was back in 2003-2004 and, at the time, an excellent condition dinner plate was going for around $80.   Excellent condition means no cracks, no chips, no crazing and no utensil marks.

Message 7 of 9
latest reply

Dishes are one of the toughest sells anymore, whether selling on eBay or outside of eBay. It depends entirely on what your set is to determine which way of selling it is best. If it's a gorgeous vintage or antique set by a hard to find manufacturer and is in perfect condition, then I would do as slippinjimmy suggests and try it out as a complete set, only price it even higher than you're hoping because of the huge pain it's going to be to pack it, especially if there are serving pieces in it.

I've sold a couple complete sets of dishes long ago in the past, when they were actually in demand, and it's nothing but worrying about the package from the time you ship it until the time the buyer gives gives you indication that they received the set and they love it.

If the dishes are of the common variety that can be found all over eBay World, then I would probably get rid of them elsewhere like on FB Marketplace or in a B&M auction for whatever they would go for, which probably wouldn't be too much.  To sell a commonplace set on eBay, I would probably split it up because there are often more buyers that have the same dishes already but are looking for certain pieces of the set to replace damaged ones they have. I know of an eBay buyer near me who has a lot of time on his hands who will buy a complete set of dishes for next to nothing and make pretty good money by peacemealing it out because he knows there are lots of people who will often pay more for a dish or two than what they're worth when buying to replace one or two of their damaged ones.

Message 8 of 9
latest reply

I sell Dinnerware, and would go with option 2

option 1 is good if the set is in original manufacturer box, other than that, it would require packing in 2 or more boxes, the heavier the box, the more chances of damage to the set, also if something breaks, the customer might file NAD and return.

For option 3, you can always list the stray. 

Message 9 of 9
latest reply