cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Decline in sales

Recently I noticed a significant decline in my sales for the month of June. I went from having my best month ever just last month to a 60% drop in sales this month. I am a top rated/power seller nothing has changed in my listing or on my account. Why the decline in sales? Has anyone had this issue before? I also noticed that my listing have dropped in search results, some of my top selling items that were showing up on the 2nd or 3rd page are now showing up on the 15th page. I find this to be very unusual especially since there have been no changes to my account to cause this. I called ebay numerous times all they keep telling me is that there are no issues on my account everything is fine and that my sales will pick up again. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Message 1 of 18
latest reply
17 REPLIES 17

Re: Decline in sales

June is my worst month for sales.     I always take a tumble because of weddings,   graduations and the 4 th of July.

In your catagories,   buyers might be searching for something else instead of rings.    I would imagine that your type of ring would be very popular right before June.     Your listings could be slipping because of the number of hits it is receiving.

If you have the means,  add some different jewelry styles other than rings.   Increase your listings and try promoting your listings.

Message 2 of 18
latest reply

sales are bad on everything this week across the board.. you cant say its the time of the year.  my normal days i make 70 to 100 dollars a day and a bad day 20 to 50 dollars but this last week it has been 5 to 10 dollars a day for the last 5 days .. last year this same time i was hitting a bit over 100 dollars a day this same time so something is going on either with ebay or the economy that is causing this to suddenly get really bad this week. hope it goes away pretty soon because this is the worse it has ever been.

Message 3 of 18
latest reply

June has always been a slow month for me. I expected a decline in sales this month but I did not expect to be such a drastic decline. However I can't understand why my listings have dropped in search results, nothing has changed. Listings that were showing up on 2nd or 3rd pages now show up on 13th or even further which ultimately is the result of the decline in sales.

Message 4 of 18
latest reply

Welcome to the 'new eBay shopping experience', it is not the time of the month, it is eBay executive strategy that has ruined the marketplace, they are incorporating their promoted listings into search and running it on top of sellers listings.

eBay executives are making grave errors with their new strategy, they should have left the site alone and only made changes for mobile users in regard to the way they present search results, they have ruined the entire site incorporating their bad ideas on presentation, search and have even ruined sellers product listing pages with their sponsored listing cross selling lunacy.

Message 5 of 18
latest reply

I  sell handmade jewelry on e bay  and lately I've noticed a decline in sales as well . I think many things may be contributing to it  . For one,, there are no major holidays coming up soon  and they  always increase sales activity . Secondly its summer time and many people are saving their money for vacations, air fare , luggage , camping, boating  and beach attire etc. Thirdly , I agree with the one poster who suggested you may want to increase on the  varity of  items  your selling . I'd suggest now would be a good time to go through your house  and closets and find some things you no longer want  and  are better suited to this time of the year ,, just to help get over this temorary slump  . When the Fall arrives more people will be thinking about the upcoming holidays  and may be more in tune to look for jewelry .

Message 6 of 18
latest reply

Most sellers here are reporting a sharp decline in their sales numbers this month as well, so it isn't just you. 

And most believe it has something to do with all the re-working of the site by eBay this month, so hoping it's all back up to normal sales numbers soon.  It seems like about this time every year, eBay does their site changes and 'improvements' and it's all glitch-y as heck and sales are off during that time, but it's all updated after those few weeks and then sales pick back up and we get into the autumn & holiday shopping seasons.

In the meantime, for myself, I'm trying to get all selling accounts stuffed to the gills with good listings, everything tweaked and reworked if necessary.. trying to get myself to be well positioned when this eBay-work-in-progress period is over and we get going again.  I think my work now will have me well positioned for some good sales numbers a bit down the road...

Message 7 of 18
latest reply

Thank you for the helpful feedback. In my experience I've alway expereinced a decline in sales in June, I just did not expect such a drastic decline. I'm hoping next month we will all see a boost in sales. 

Message 8 of 18
latest reply

I'm usually one of the first ones to say how good sales are, but this month has been the worst since I started selling (I have two accounts). I did sell 12 yesterday tho, so maybe it's picking back up?
Message 9 of 18
latest reply

Ebay has messed up the search. It now defaults to a particular category depending on what you're searching for. If your items are not listed in that category Ebay won't show your items.

Everyone should do a search for their own items and see if and what Ebay defaults the category to. It used to be you could still use the non-best match search and it would work fine. Now they're all bad.

Message 10 of 18
latest reply

No one cares about eBay any more, not even the executives running the company, the marketplace is in shambles and sellers are waiting for heads to roll, we don't really care what happens to eBay, they are producing no sales, not enough to even pay eBay fees.

Message 11 of 18
latest reply

@dk_quality_jewels wrote:

Recently I noticed a significant decline in my sales for the month of June. I went from having my best month ever just last month to a 60% drop in sales this month. I am a top rated/power seller nothing has changed in my listing or on my account. Why the decline in sales? Has anyone had this issue before? I also noticed that my listing have dropped in search results, some of my top selling items that were showing up on the 2nd or 3rd page are now showing up on the 15th page. I find this to be very unusual especially since there have been no changes to my account to cause this. I called ebay numerous times all they keep telling me is that there are no issues on my account everything is fine and that my sales will pick up again. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

My April was a disaster and June is shaping up to being one too. I don't know what's going on. It's like light bulbs being turned on and off all over the place. I am down 60% again over the last period. 

Something's afoot but no one is about to tell us what.

Ann

Message 12 of 18
latest reply

I'm curious how you know what everyone thinks. I'm still seeing things in my category sell well for high prices. I sold something this morning.

I think Ebay is still a going concern for many people. I just wish they'd stop breaking things.

Message 13 of 18
latest reply

@dk_quality_jewels  You have one basic niche you sell in ... rings.  If that niche is not selling

your sales will drop.  Consider diversifying what you offer.  And by that I mean things different from the jewelry niche you are in.  If you simply offer more jewelry and it is not selling then you'll have the same issue. 

Regards,
Mr. Lincoln - Community Mentor
Message 14 of 18
latest reply

90% drop in sale since June 15th. We have multiple selling accounts and do 15-20k average per month. Just had to lay off our 2 people who were doing eBay listings. Way to go eBay executives, that's 2 people out of work thanks to your awesome management skills.
Hope eBay goes under eventually or gets bought out and dismantled like it should be.
Message 15 of 18
latest reply