Days without sales

Turning down promoted listings didn't work

Small payoff big work

Message 1 of 13
latest reply
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

Re: Days without sales

I had terrible sales last week on all my selling accounts.

This week I've been busy.

Stuff happens.

View Best Answer in original post

Message 5 of 13
latest reply
12 REPLIES 12

What days?

Seems what you sell would sell more on the Weekends, which is did:

You had 

5 Sales Thursday

6 Sales Friday

6 Sales Saturday

11 Sales Sunday

2 Sales Monday

3 Sales Tuesday 

Message 2 of 13
latest reply

I turned down promoted listings from 9% to 5% on Tuesday then no sales or really any activity

I turned it off now I have to think of a new strategy with pricing and promotion %

Message 3 of 13
latest reply

You have a great little business going here.  It is not at all unusual to go a few days without sales, but then when you sales do pop off, you have some nice ones.  It appears you average over 130 sales per month.  Be patient.  A day without sales is not unusual.

mam98031  •  Volunteer Community Member  •  Buyer/Seller since 1999
Message 4 of 13
latest reply

I had terrible sales last week on all my selling accounts.

This week I've been busy.

Stuff happens.

Message 5 of 13
latest reply

Looking at your stuff as a retro game collector myself, the first thing I notice is that you really, REALLY need to make clear in the title that some of your games are Japanese, as older consoles are region-locked and thus you either need to have a Japanese console or have modded a US one in order to be able to play them.

I could see that potentially getting you into trouble if someone either doesn't know they're buying the Japanese version OR doesn't know that they can't play the game on a standard US console.

Message 6 of 13
latest reply

I'm working on making my own website, 

I can beat $0 in sales myself

Message 7 of 13
latest reply

@retrogames10000 wrote:

I'm working on making my own website, 

I can beat $0 in sales myself

Good luck.  It is a great thing to be able to do that.  Be careful as it can get pretty expensive trying to drive traffic to your website.

Message 8 of 13
latest reply

Thanks for listening,

I have to be more clever to make a dollar it appears.

You know a few days ago I purchased two games from an eBay seller and they only sent one game, they are going to make it right so not a big deal - I couldn't leave less than positive for a week even if I wanted to leave neutral.

Why does someone buy from me and leave neutral 3 days later?  eBay does not apply the same rules to me this year, and I am in the poorhouse for it.

I think the biggest problem I am facing is that I have a mountain of games that are tough sells, but people would be happy to see them in a surprise box.  eBay said I couldn't sell games by random this year and I of course do not because I have too much to lose by doing so.  I need the ability to sell games by random to declutter my business so I need to focus on this job this year.  Boxes of 25 games etc

I see the writing on the wall with how eBay decides cases against me quickly and generally keep my sales in a box.  I am more at risk than anything if I do not try to start growing my business beyond eBay

I have spent 5 times more on purchases this year than my entire sales combined, so I am not the one being fed today

Message 9 of 13
latest reply

You know a few days ago I purchased two games from an eBay seller and they only sent one game, they are going to make it right so not a big deal - I couldn't leave less than positive for a week even if I wanted to leave neutral.

That is a perk for all TRS.  Not sure why you would want to leave a less than positive.  It sounds like your seller was honest and just made a mistake.  Afterall we are all human.  They are taking care of you and doing right by you.  I'm unsure why your response would be negative to dealing with an honest seller.

Why does someone buy from me and leave neutral 3 days later?  eBay does not apply the same rules to me this year, and I am in the poorhouse for it.

IDK why that would happen since you are TRS.  Was it 3 days after they purchased the item or 3 days after they received the items?

We all have the same rules.  You are not being held to different standards.  There just may be some details you are leaving out that would help us to better explain why certain things happened.

I think the biggest problem I am facing is that I have a mountain of games that are tough sells, but people would be happy to see them in a surprise box.  eBay said I couldn't sell games by random this year and I of course do not because I have too much to lose by doing so.  I need the ability to sell games by random to declutter my business so I need to focus on this job this year.  Boxes of 25 games etc

Selling a "surprise box" is likely to be a bigger surprise to you than the buyer.  Simply not a good idea here.  Not to mention it is against the rules.

Chance Listing Policy

Selling a box of games is a great idea, just make sure you list EVERY game in the lot.

I see the writing on the wall with how eBay decides cases against me quickly and generally keep my sales in a box.  I am more at risk than anything if I do not try to start growing my business beyond eBay

That sounds a bit off to me.  You have to comply with the rules just like everyone else.  You are not an exception to the rules.  If you are having issues with buyers filing cases against you, there is typically a reason for that.  But to know for sure, you would need to give details, not general words.

Message 10 of 13
latest reply

I am not surprised at your perceived lack of sales. I am surprised at the sales you do have.

Traffic could be improved—and therefore sales— by providing better information about the items in your listings. I realize you are perhaps going for quantity over quality—with 9000+ listings, you need to list quickly.

So you are not providing needed details in your descriptions. But the trade-off is  costly if shoppers cannot locate the games they want because specific descriptors are absent.

For example, listing #395178584319 entitled “Nintendo Famicom Lot of 6 - - AOcx13”. Here is the entire text in the description field:

This item is tested working
See photograph for condition
Fast Shipping!!

Nowhere but the photos are the six titles given. The brand name isn’t mentioned in the description and no condition details exist anywhere . (And the info that does appear is contradictory. The text refers to a single item for a multiple-item listing.)  Important keywords are missing so those items are likely not showing up in buyers’ Search results. For those who might stumble across the listing accidentally, the lack of details does not build any consumer confidence. 

You have hundreds of listings like this one. At least give the game titles in your lots so you have a fighting chance.

Message 11 of 13
latest reply

Why do sellers think that they should be getting the exact same amount of sales and revenue 365 days per year? No business on the planet has the exact same amount of sales. Consistency is what you want. We all are going to have low days, high days & days in the middle and that's that so deal with it.

Message 12 of 13
latest reply

Advanced Promotion can expose your items greatly, but the cost of it is unbearable. We tried to make it work for months, but couldn't bring the cost down, so we gave up on it.

The traffic on eBay is nothing compared to how it used to be, and the leadership's solution to reverse the downtrend is to come up with more anti-seller policies and siding with the buyer in every single argument by default, no matter what.

Message 13 of 13
latest reply