cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Coronavirus - Are your sales up, down, or no change?

I'd like to understand how this virus situation is affecting ebay sales generally. I want to see what's happening, figure out what to expect, and survive this thing as a seller. Generally, are people buying on ebay more, less, or no change?

So, are your sales up, down, no change? To what do you attribute it to, if anything?

I'll start. My sales are up significantly the past week or so. I sell things that are not at all related to health or the coronavirus. However, there could be other reasons for the uptick. I got sick a year ago and didn't ship a bunch of orders, and that blew my top seller status and ebay handicapped my listings for a year. I just got top rated seller status back, and that could explain the sales increase.

Message 1 of 512
latest reply
511 REPLIES 511

Re: Coronavirus - Are your sales up, down, or no change?

I sell on ebay. Ebay is a wonderful site. Right now my sales are down mostly because I want to sell less. I fear going to the US Post Office to mail packages. Too much risk of catching the virus.
Everything above this line is sponsored by Captain Zort!
I'm Captain Zort, and I don't know what he's talking about!!!!

-

(Bob in Eugene, WHERE IT RAINS A LOT!!!! Glug, Glug, Drip, Drip)
Message 421 of 512
latest reply

@renomarvinm wrote:
I sell on ebay. Ebay is a wonderful site. Right now my sales are down mostly because I want to sell less. I fear going to the US Post Office to mail packages. Too much risk of catching the virus.

Try to minimize trips, don't let anyone near you, gloves and mask if you feel the need - I go twice a week to the post office instead of almost every day, and wash up thoroughly when I arrive home.  If you can, arrange parcel pick up, that will eliminate having to go at all (I would but our letter carrier comes at variable times and I don't like leaving stuff out on the porch)

We can do this!

When you dine with leopards, it is wise to check the menu lest you find yourself as the main course.

#freedomtoread
#readbannedbooks
Message 422 of 512
latest reply

Yes the gas prices are cheap due to the Saudi and Russia feud. 

but what benefit is it if we don't have jobs and are not able to go anywhere?

Talk about bad timing. Just saying.

Message 423 of 512
latest reply

My sales were down, and then a couple days ago I decided to pull down all my listings because I'm in Seattle and I felt it was too risky for my customers.  The package would pass through who-knows-how-many hands and any of those hands could be infected.

Then in the past few days I developed a sore throat.  Possibly the start of coronavirus.  There's no way I can get tested for it (since there aren't enough tests for everyone), but I am just going to assume / act like it is for the safety of those around me. 

Fortunately eBay isn't my job, just hobby-selling so financially I'm okay.  My job switched to telework some weeks ago, thank goodness.

Message 424 of 512
latest reply

Sure hope it isn't, but don't take any chances if you start getting worse.  Take care.

Message 425 of 512
latest reply

Sales were still alright until roughly last Saturday. This has been the worst week I've had in years.. But hey, we got 100000 free listings, and new stores are getting 500 listings with no FVF.

I feel like EBAY is taking a huge dump on those of us that are the backbone of the platform. Sellers that have been loyal to EBAY for many years, (17 for me), and run a modest number of listings (300ish).

I have no way of acquiring new inventory, (no thrifts, no sales), and the platform is being flooded with new sellers who are likely going to be nothing but problems for EBAY. Think about it. New sellers who are desperate to make a buck are going to be loading the site with broken junk and poor descriptions. They get rewarded with a free store and $$$$ in FREE FVF. New buyers purchase junk from new sellers and they think EBAY sucks and are gone from the platform for good. Seriously, who are you hiring to come up with this stuff EBAY? You are screwing over a large segment of your seller base! THANKS!

Message 426 of 512
latest reply

Thanks!  I will probably be fine, I'm 41 and don't have underlying issues.  But man, this thing is super-catchy.   So please take it seriously, everyone.   

Don't assume that your area is safe because it's too rural, too remote, etc.  We live in a world were air travel is common, where a lot of our goods are shipped across the country in semis (only takes one infected driver to spread it to every gas station they stop at), and where people buy online goods.  The virus can stay active on surfaces for several days and there have been confirmed cases of it in several Amazon warehouses. 

Message 427 of 512
latest reply

@sapphireseal wrote:

My sales were down, and then a couple days ago I decided to pull down all my listings because I'm in Seattle and I felt it was too risky for my customers.  The package would pass through who-knows-how-many hands and any of those hands could be infected.

Then in the past few days I developed a sore throat.  Possibly the start of coronavirus.  There's no way I can get tested for it (since there aren't enough tests for everyone), but I am just going to assume / act like it is for the safety of those around me. 

Fortunately eBay isn't my job, just hobby-selling so financially I'm okay.  My job switched to telework some weeks ago, thank goodness.

There's a lot of stuff going around and it can be anything, but you are smart to take precautions - spreading anything at this point lowers immunity.  If you start having problems breathing, feeling wheezy, contact your doctor ASAP. 

I had to be tested due to age and high-risk exposure, and went from running 5 miles to not being able to get up a flight of steps without getting out of breath.  My test was negative, just the nasty flu with a respiratory component going around, but you can bet I was masked and gloved until I got over whatever krap I had! 

When you dine with leopards, it is wise to check the menu lest you find yourself as the main course.

#freedomtoread
#readbannedbooks
Message 428 of 512
latest reply

@sapphireseal wrote:

Thanks!  I will probably be fine, I'm 41 and don't have underlying issues.  But man, this thing is super-catchy.   So please take it seriously, everyone.   

Don't assume that your area is safe because it's too rural, too remote, etc.  We live in a world were air travel is common, where a lot of our goods are shipped across the country in semis (only takes one infected driver to spread it to every gas station they stop at), and where people buy online goods.  The virus can stay active on surfaces for several days and there have been confirmed cases of it in several Amazon warehouses. 

This is so true - there's an illusion that because one is in a sparsely populated area that somehow 'it can't happen here', but everyone needs to take precautions due to the supply chain.

Sales are picking up a bit here now - I think maybe people are settling into a new normal, if they can.  IMHO, the only constant is that things are going keep changing and developing.

#freedomtoread
#readbannedbooks
Message 429 of 512
latest reply

" The virus can stay active on surfaces for several days and there have been confirmed cases of it in several Amazon warehouses. "

We've started bringing in the mail and putting it in a spot on the steps (inside) for 3 days each. After putting it there our hands get washed and then lotioned (we are old with thin dry skin). After the three days we open the mail, and put most of it in the burn box, and then wash again. If it's a box that we need to open we rub it down with alcohol...wish I'd ignored the look DH gave me when I reached for the alcohol at Walgreen's...wish I'd bought a case of it. He's a believer now, lol.

I have never been through anything like this before and seriously want to just wake up.....Rip Van Moondog...
Message 430 of 512
latest reply

Wow, I didn't know it was for sale, what kinda prices do you have to pay?
Message 431 of 512
latest reply

down, people don't want used, they want new, would be my reasoning

Message 432 of 512
latest reply

People are buying food...I know I am.
Message 433 of 512
latest reply

My sales are way off ...I've only sold a few things in the  past month...so I'd say down by 90%

Message 434 of 512
latest reply

Plummeted here, up elsewhere, so call me baffled, or call me annoyed (but you doesn't have to call me Johnson).

#freedomtoread
#readbannedbooks
Message 435 of 512
latest reply