cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Click to view entire descripton??? What the heck???

Has anyone seen this new layout for listings? I have a button on my last listing called 'click button to view entire description'.

There is a completely blank screen unless one clicks that button. There is NO description of the item for sale until you click this button and then the description opens in a separate window.

What is this all about - an I in a test group?

Message 1 of 1,018
latest reply
1,017 REPLIES 1,017

Re: Click to view entire descripton??? What the heck???

Not sure if it was posted before, but I just got off the phone with eBay rep and per his words the test will be over on Feb 24th.

He told, that SOME of the users were selected randomly to be a guinnie piggs to see how this **bleep**y feature will affect the sales.

He wasn't able to answer my question about why at least I wasn't notified that this test will be performing.

Also he mentioned that it's impossible to opt out from the test.

Also he mentioned that every single user on eBay may become the guinnie pig for the any test eBay want to run because of the signed user agreement (and this is a part of the user agreement).

How cool is that? 🙂

Message 766 of 1,018
latest reply

@art_dealer_cal wrote:

Below the Item Specifics on a listing page there is a See full Item description button... next to it is a button Tell us what you think

Yah ...but that's only if one is opted into this nonsense. I haven't been yet but I wouldn't mind it for a few days.

Message 767 of 1,018
latest reply

@bimmer_hillstore wrote:

Not sure if it was posted before, but I just got off the phone with eBay rep and per his words the test will be over on Feb 24th.

He told, that SOME of the users were selected randomly to be a guinnie piggs to see how this **bleep**y feature will affect the sales.

He wasn't able to answer my question about why at least I wasn't notified that this test will be performing.

Also he mentioned that it's impossible to opt out from the test.

Also he mentioned that every single user on eBay may become the guinnie pig for the any test eBay want to run because of the signed user agreement (and this is a part of the user agreement).

How cool is that? 🙂

Well, fight fire with fire.

This "bug"  (I am NOT going to call it a feature, nothing this BAD can be called a 'feature') only impacts one browser (for me).  I would suggest that for the other suckers out there, try a different browser. 

(Minor tech sidebar: Wonder if deleting cookies ... and which cookies might end the test for a given person?  I don't want to delete everything on my primary browser)

My hope is that my lack of purchases with the browser impacted will tell them where they can stick BAD ideas.

To eBay:

1. I will NOT list any items for sale as long as this is visable (and can-not be disabled)

2. I will not make any purchases of regular 'for sale' items until this is removed.

3. I will avoid auctions, and other such items where possible.

4. I will consider contacting sellers, and let them know that the description is not visable, and they should contact eBay support. 

Send a clear message to eBay: The option for "Click to view" SUCKS.

Message 768 of 1,018
latest reply

Just want to add my id to the list of sellers on this thread who think click to view description is a horrible idea.  IN CASE someone from ebay is paying attention to this thread.  Whether or not they care or will be swayed is a whole 'nother matter.

It's hard enough to get people to read the descriptions.  I use as little text as possible just so buyers might take a moment to read it.  Size, measurements, little descriptive blurb, whether its lined, has pockets, where's the zipper. 

Ebay has become so impatient, with the Buy It Now!  Pay immediately!  Ship it yesterday!  It should arrive within 4 days regardless of weather, President's Day or carrier error!  Don't take a moment to read descriptions, use those canned item specifics!

And yet, our defects last a YEAR.  Boo.

Message 769 of 1,018
latest reply

@grasshopperx wrote:

so why dont we all get together and not write a description?  its really nice that we all care, and try to do nice auctions, but with no page views, why waste your time even writing a descriotion. I have listed items with no specs and no description what so ever, and ironically got MORE views.

Maybe because we don't want the defects that will come from not writing a description?????

ummm, so why don't we all get together and jump off a bridge....   duh...

Message 770 of 1,018
latest reply

@antique.cottage wrote:

@grasshopperx wrote:

so why dont we all get together and not write a description?  its really nice that we all care, and try to do nice auctions, but with no page views, why waste your time even writing a descriotion. I have listed items with no specs and no description what so ever, and ironically got MORE views.

Maybe because we don't want the defects that will come from not writing a description?????

ummm, so why don't we all get together and jump off a bridge....   duh...

Takeoff of an age old question - If a description is written but not shown by ebay easily when you click on the listing, is there really a description?

I think I have been optted out of the test. I no longer see the button to see Full Description

but I have noticed that my Sale items on my Laptop clearly show that the item is on sale however, no mention of a sale for the exact item showing on my IPAD

Message 772 of 1,018
latest reply

This has been frustrating me for a while.  Like others, it was only happening in Chrome.  I just cleared everything, cache, cookies, history, etc. and now it's back to normal.  BTW, I use Piriform's Ccleaner to clean everything.

Hope this helps.

Message 773 of 1,018
latest reply

I agree with ecwolf.

It's hard enough to get people to read the descriptions.  I use as little text as possible just so buyers might take a moment to read it.  Size, measurements, little descriptive blurb, whether its lined, has pockets, where's the zipper. 

I can't get them to read the entire title! The last thing I put in the title is the size and I have about 1 person a week cancel a transaction or send something back because they didn't realize the size. I think to myself, well it was mentioned in the title O_o

Ebay has already locked up their site pages trying to run all of the adobe flash they use in their ads covering the sides of our auctions. Can you imagine if they get the whole middle where the description usually is as well?

You'll go to your auction and see all the other ads and yours will be the smallest thing on the page! XD

Message 774 of 1,018
latest reply

Nah - your listing will be reduced to a small button that says "see full listing" = )

Crusader Cat is watching

Everyone thinks of changing the world, but no one thinks of changing himself. - L Tolstoy

"You are entitled to your own opinion, you are not however, entitled to your own facts."

Message 775 of 1,018
latest reply

Yes, you were in a test group. I was in it too. There is a post about it on Ecommerce Bytes online magazine.

Message 776 of 1,018
latest reply

Ha! Whenever i see posts like these, and what the fine folks at ebay burden us with next, can't help but think of that old cannibal joke:

Mrs Cannibal goes to the meat counter at the grocery store. Brains sound good for dinner. She sees lawyers brains on sale $4.99/lb, politician brains on sale $9.99/lb, and ebay exec brains on "sale" for $1000/lb. Mrs Cannibal is curious as to why ebay exec brains are so pricey, and asks the butcher behind the counter. The butcher responds.....................

Anyone??
Message 777 of 1,018
latest reply

@megadestroyers wrote:
Ha! Whenever i see posts like these, and what the fine folks at ebay burden us with next, can't help but think of that old cannibal joke:

Mrs Cannibal goes to the meat counter at the grocery store. Brains sound good for dinner. She sees lawyers brains on sale $4.99/lb, politician brains on sale $9.99/lb, and ebay exec brains on "sale" for $1000/lb. Mrs Cannibal is curious as to why ebay exec brains are so pricey, and asks the butcher behind the counter. The butcher responds.....................

Anyone??

Because they are so rare!

@megadestroyers wrote:

Anyone??

There extremely tender due to lack of use?

Message 779 of 1,018
latest reply

Because we think someone's going to buy the brains and sell them on ebay.  We feel strongly that they will go for top dollar.  Our strategy depends on bidding wars that may ensue between "defective" sellers who want to get some satisfaction out of using the brains for target practice.

Message 780 of 1,018
latest reply