cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Click to view entire descripton??? What the heck???

Has anyone seen this new layout for listings? I have a button on my last listing called 'click button to view entire description'.

There is a completely blank screen unless one clicks that button. There is NO description of the item for sale until you click this button and then the description opens in a separate window.

What is this all about - an I in a test group?

Message 1 of 1,018
latest reply
1,017 REPLIES 1,017

Re: Click to view entire descripton??? What the heck???

I only had one buyer claim NAD and that was years ago. They said it didn't fit, I pointed out the measurements were listed twice and asked if they were correct in the listing. They said yes, closed the case and returned on their dime (I had a 14 day return policy).

I have read enough on the boards to know what an ebay employee says here and what actually happens are two different things.

You can call me Tony
Message 736 of 1,018
latest reply

This is just another obstacle (called Disruptive Innovation) to take our eyes off the ball.

Sales are Pitiful and it's all eBay's doing

Message 737 of 1,018
latest reply

@tripp_the_lab wrote:
Hey d-k!

I buy off my iPhone all the time. I'll run out of something on my truck and buy right then so I don't forget.

I ALWAYS switch to classic from mobile before searching. I would bet ebay counts that as part of the 50% mobile use.

Hey To..... Tripp - (slap avoidance alert)

I don't buy anything at all from my phone - but if i bother to look something up, its ALWAYS the classic site. But like I said before, I'm sure if I use my phones wifi for my laptop, I'd bet that counts too.

Yes the 3 year plan that was announced 7 years ago. What a huge fail.

You can call me Tony
Message 739 of 1,018
latest reply

Once the siggy gets updated it should take care of those slaps. 😉

You can call me Tony
Message 740 of 1,018
latest reply

I was about to copy an item from my eBay Store to my own website...clicked to copy the description and oh yea I totally forgot... it isn't even there anymore.

If I was a Buyer I would have backed out of the listing

Thank you eBay

Message 741 of 1,018
latest reply

Just my 2 cents....

I always switch to classic on my phone because the mobile site is pretty useless. The phone app is almost wortless if your a seller.

Now eBay wants to prevent you from describing your items....

I think eBay is increasingly only for simple products.

So I guess sellers who make nice descriptions are wasting thier time now....

Every time eBay revises the site, I end up doing more clicks to get where I want to go.

No other company consistantly **bleep** me off like eBay..

Wow...

Message 742 of 1,018
latest reply

It's that way on mine too.. Don't like it.. Nope...Don't like it at all.. I have a hard time getting my buyers to read the description as it is.. Now they just won't.. Ebay better be prepared to fix a lot of mis-communication issues. 

Message 743 of 1,018
latest reply

so why dont we all get together and not write a description?  its really nice that we all care, and try to do nice auctions, but with no page views, why waste your time even writing a descriotion. I have listed items with no specs and no description what so ever, and ironically got MORE views.

Message 744 of 1,018
latest reply

Strangely enough eBay won't let you go live with a listing unless it HAS a description.

Crusader Cat is watching

Everyone thinks of changing the world, but no one thinks of changing himself. - L Tolstoy

"You are entitled to your own opinion, you are not however, entitled to your own facts."

Message 745 of 1,018
latest reply

Hello Jeff, how have you been?   The idea to send buyers to another page to see the full item description is not a bad idea.  However, the button to send the buyer to a new fiull description page needs to be somewhere more obvious and perhaps the button itself needs to stand out more.  I came to our own listings the first time this was tested on us and it took me a little while to see where the button was and this is our own listing! 

The drawbacks are research a has shown the more levels a person has to drop down to see what they want to see, the more oftern they get click the X.  Three levels is as far as most will go.  Also, most listings have few item specifics if there's no UPC code attached (they should expand this requirement for new factory made items..)    So what the buyer sees in a lot of cases is: A. The title  B. The photos  C. A couple of item specifics MAYBE.  Then there's the button to click to see the full description. somewhere.  In most cases I never see enough information to think about ordering the items.

There's a couple of things that could be done, mainly an ITEM ABSTRACT Field (check out our website).  This would allow a very brief description beyond what's in the title and this abstract would be visible in the inital landing page of the listing.  This would be a ton of work (imagine coming up with 5000 abstracts).  OR: what we've started to do is use the item specifics to generate our own specifics like Size etc that isn't intrinsic to the automatic fields Ebay comes up with.  If I was selling an old Disney Mug from Employees day, for instance, you can do custom item specifics to fully describe the item. 

-from the trenches

Message 746 of 1,018
latest reply

@recordingsystems wrote:

Hello Jeff, how have you been?   The idea to send buyers to another page to see the full item description is not a bad idea.  However, the button to send the buyer to a new fiull description page needs to be somewhere more obvious and perhaps the button itself needs to stand out more.  I came to our own listings the first time this was tested on us and it took me a little while to see where the button was and this is our own listing! 

The drawbacks are research a has shown the more levels a person has to drop down to see what they want to see, the more oftern they get click the X.  Three levels is as far as most will go.  Also, most listings have few item specifics if there's no UPC code attached (they should expand this requirement for new factory made items..)    So what the buyer sees in a lot of cases is: A. The title  B. The photos  C. A couple of item specifics MAYBE.  Then there's the button to click to see the full description. somewhere.  In most cases I never see enough information to think about ordering the items.

There's a couple of things that could be done, mainly an ITEM ABSTRACT Field (check out our website).  This would allow a very brief description beyond what's in the title and this abstract would be visible in the inital landing page of the listing.  This would be a ton of work (imagine coming up with 5000 abstracts).  OR: what we've started to do is use the item specifics to generate our own specifics like Size etc that isn't intrinsic to the automatic fields Ebay comes up with.  If I was selling an old Disney Mug from Employees day, for instance, you can do custom item specifics to fully describe the item. 

-from the trenches

Umm - that's why there is a DESCRIPTION. Which should be shown when clicking on the listing - NOT having to click to see another page.

This new 'feature' is a kiddie idea from the 3rd grade.

Frankly I can't help but think this is just another calculated ebay diversion.  "Let's run a ridiculous beta test that will most likely get all of the sellers up in arms.  We can run it for a bit and then magnanimously deem it unsuccessful and cancel it.  Right before the Spring Seller Update.  They'll be so grateful that they won't even notice the horrors we are about to bestow!"

For the life of me I can't remember the exact issue, but a few years ago there was something very similar done right before the update.  Now if you'll excuse me, I've gotta Google the lyrics to Kumbaya...

Joe

Message 748 of 1,018
latest reply

@tellmemama wrote:

Frankly I can't help but think this is just another calculated ebay diversion.  "Let's run a ridiculous beta test that will most likely get all of the sellers up in arms.  We can run it for a bit and then magnanimously deem it unsuccessful and cancel it.  Right before the Spring Seller Update.  They'll be so grateful that they won't even notice the horrors we are about to bestow!"

For the life of me I can't remember the exact issue, but a few years ago there was something very similar done right before the update.  Now if you'll excuse me, I've gotta Google the lyrics to Kumbaya...

OMG! I was thinking the exact same thing yesterday. They will torture us to death with this "test" and then announce in the Spring Seller Update the test was a failure, they listened and then look what else we've got for you sellers.

Message 749 of 1,018
latest reply

@aemi*amore wrote:

"The description is still part of the listing, even during this test. The same protections apply. If a buyer claims your item is not as described because of a reason that the seller documented in their listing, the seller is going to be protected. For example, if a seller's listing says that the item is used and the buyer complains the item is "not new", the seller is going to be protected."

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Jeff, this is NOT true.  I was NOT protected.  I probably sound like a broken record.  I VERY CLEARLY stated the small defect of my vintage item in the description, along with several photos, and the buyer opened a case because of the defect.  Ebay promptly decided in the buyer's favor.

You need to continue to pursue it with CS if that's the case. Point CS to the policies outlined here... http://pages.ebay.com/help/sell/item-not-as-described.html

Message 750 of 1,018
latest reply