cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cigarette smoke and or other odors

I recently decided to change my listings to No Returns. (I know that's no 100% possible)

Anyway, I recently had items given to me by family members that I know smoke and have pets.

Would adding a disclaimer in my listings protect me as far a "items not as described?"

Also does all this info have to be put in the mobile listing as well as the regular listing?  (I use Auctiva)

I know most buyers don't bother to read everything but if it's there shouldn't that be enough?

I've seen listings where people say "Smoke free/Pet free home" Then in the pictures there was a little white dog  eating out of his dish in the background. Lol  Then I've also seen listings where the seller states items are coming from a home where people smoke and they do have pets! Then I noticed how much negative feedback they had gotten stating the items reeked of smoke.

Seems like a seller can't win for trying!

Message 1 of 70
latest reply
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

Re: Cigarette smoke and or other odors

@debbyk1952 wrote:

I recently decided to change my listings to No Returns. (I know that's no 100% possible)

Anyway, I recently had items given to me by family members that I know smoke and have pets.

Would adding a disclaimer in my listings protect me as far a "items not as described?"

Also does all this info have to be put in the mobile listing as well as the regular listing?  (I use Auctiva)

I know most buyers don't bother to read everything but if it's there shouldn't that be enough?

I've seen listings where people say "Smoke free/Pet free home" Then in the pictures there was a little white dog  eating out of his dish in the background. Lol  Then I've also seen listings where the seller states items are coming from a home where people smoke and they do have pets! Then I noticed how much negative feedback they had gotten stating the items reeked of smoke.

I put a disclaimer in at the bottom of most of my paper based listings. I don`t know where most of my items originate from and many items can`t be cleaned. I don`t have a good sense of smell so I think it`s fair to warn potential buyers if they are sensitive. I don`t know if it helps. If a problem arises I will deal with it then. Any items I can clean or wash, then I do so.

"There`s always barber college" - Dalton - Road House

View Best Answer in original post

Message 5 of 70
latest reply
69 REPLIES 69

Is the item worth it? if yes list it with the disclaimer, if not, trash it.

Message 2 of 70
latest reply

I wouldn't list those items.
Message 3 of 70
latest reply

Scent on a used item is not a valid reason for a snad and you can get the case closed.  (I have successfully done so)

That being said, if I notice ANY odor I note it.  It's better to save yourself the negative feedback.  I have another selling ID where I sell vintage items.  Some of which smell like smoke and perfumes, which is not that uncommon for an item from the 50's or 60's.  I rarely get a negative feedback (currently 100% knock on wood).  I believe it's because I note it in the ad.

Edit: I should note that my items that say they smell don't sell as fast as the others.  But they do sell and I would rather be honest than to deal with an angry customer

Message 4 of 70
latest reply

@debbyk1952 wrote:

I put a disclaimer in at the bottom of most of my paper based listings. I don`t know where most of my items originate from and many items can`t be cleaned. I don`t have a good sense of smell so I think it`s fair to warn potential buyers if they are sensitive. I don`t know if it helps. If a problem arises I will deal with it then. Any items I can clean or wash, then I do so.

"There`s always barber college" - Dalton - Road House
Message 5 of 70
latest reply

Thanks!

I wouldn't list any particular item as actually smelling of smoke. I have a terrible sense of smell so I probably wouldn't notice it anyway. I just thought I should put they "may smell of smoke or pets" 

I don't think anyone can ever stop the negative feedback but I thought that may stop them from filing cases and winning.

Why the other person said to "trash it" I have no idea. It's not trash. If it was I wouldn't list it. 

I just want to feel like I'm protecting myself.

Message 6 of 70
latest reply

Sadly as a seller today there is no "protecting yourself" any buyer at any time for any reason can get a refund

Message 7 of 70
latest reply

Yes, many of the items can be washed. I then could hang them outside on a porch to keep them fresh. However, not everything is washable.

I know many people are very sensitive to odors.( I wonder if they think about all the returns that department stores get where items could potentially lay in a smokers house for a week before it is taken back? )

I know some people on eBay use it as an excuse just to be able to return things.

If someone wishes to return I have always done so but I decided I'd like a little control over the situation. 

I think I will add a disclaimer similar to the one you mentioned.

I'll see what happens!

Message 8 of 70
latest reply

Even if you indicate items smells of smoke, the buyer can open a SNAD and probably win since eBay rules in favor of the buyer for the majority of SNAD cases.  

Personally I would not list an item that smelled of smoke.  This will limit your buyers.  If it is a used item, can you launder it and remove the odor before listing?  As a seller and buyer, I would never purchase anything that smelled of smoke.

I am not an eBay employee. I'm a US eBay Community Mentor.

Message 9 of 70
latest reply

That's kinda scary!

But I think the there are some that do it on a regular basis and know how to work the system.

I don't want to cheat anyone. I just want them to know upfront what to possibly expect.

Message 10 of 70
latest reply

RE:  Anyway, I recently had items given to me by family members that I know smoke and have pets.

I use to buy items from the thrift store that reeked of cigarette smoke, those items were placed in the garage and sprayed with Lysol.  After a few days, sprayed with non scented Fabreeze and a spin in the dryer.

Wrap it up with a final sniff, voila, odor free.

Message 11 of 70
latest reply

I use a standard phrase on all of my listings "Pet and smoke free home ~  if you are sensitive to certain smells, please be aware that I do not know the provenance regarding odors for the items I sell.

eBay's Trinton has stated that smells/odors can't be used as the basis for a SNAD as odors are subjective:

Hey everyone, I just wanted to step in and clarify our stance on odors for items. While we typically are unable to cover smells as they are highly subjective, we do offer protection in a few situations:

1.  The item is listed as coming from a smoke free/pet free home and arrives smelling of smoke or pets.
  2.  The smell is a core component of the item and the scent received is signficantly different (Ex. vanilla candle arrives smelling like cinnamon).
  3.  The product smells strongly of chemicals, such as bleach or ammonia.

I think that reaching out to a seller prior to purchase about sensitivities is a great best practice and I will pass along feedback to see what more eBay can do to ensure these issues are kept to a minimum. A suggestion was made on this thread to include education to sellers that specifically calls out no added scents should be applied to a product before shipment, which may be a step we can take. I appreciate all the feedback on this topic!

Additionally, I do want to encourage anyone who receives a product with strong odors to not only reach out to the seller but to also contact the courier that delivered the item to provide feedback. It is possible these smells are at times coming from other packages on the delivery truck or from the drivers/handlers of the shipment. Giving this feedback can help improve processes for everyone involved and benefit future buyers. 

Post #244

How much better life would be, if a liar's pants really did catch fire!
Message 12 of 70
latest reply

Hi, debbyK: this is what I do: everything that can be laundered by hand or machine (washable) is laundered prior to packaging. Items that require dry cleaning? I use Woolite At Home Dry Cleaner which I purchase in bulk from the River. Eco-friendly, Individual packets that dry clean up to 1-5 items per dryer load. No bag like Dry-El. Like a baby wipe you put in the dryer. And you can also pre-treat any stains with the wipes before going into the dryer. 14 packets per box.

This At Home cleaner is a new type of product from Woolite where it also can be used for silk (not velvet or leather). There is another Woolite product called Dry Cleaner's Closet does the same thing, but you cannot use on silk which I used to use until they came out with this newer version. I, too, put a blurb in my listings "...Although refreshed prior to ship, as with all pre-owned, vintage garments recommend you clean to your personal satisfaction."  

I also put under Condition item was laundered/refreshed using XXX prior to ship. But you will still get those who claim smoke or mildew or whatever in order to get a free return. It is a bit of a losing battle but it is what it is selling pre-owned vintage. For my more upscale, like beaded outfits or items with velvet trim, I do go the expense of a professional dry clean and just factor that expense into the price. It is a hard road here lololol. Good Luck.

I ain't got the brains to make this up (Fantastic Beasts)
Message 13 of 70
latest reply

Hey, Hidy. Great Post!!!

I ain't got the brains to make this up (Fantastic Beasts)
Message 14 of 70
latest reply

But bottom line, it really doesn't matter what trinton or other blues may say.

A buyer can return an item for any reason.
Reality is the leading cause of stress.
Message 15 of 70
latest reply