cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Chat Follow Up / Fee Credits

The chat is locked so I'm posting my reply here-

When there is a remorse return filed and a buyer pays a separate shipping cost (not free shipping)- your FVF will be automatically credited when you refund less original shipping. It is considered a full refund in a remorse situation.

I've been in MP for several years velvet@ebay and FVF have never been withheld in this situation. It's only when you issue a partial for any other reason- like an item returned damaged, etc- that FVF are not refunded.

To show you an example since this was your question @fern*wood- here are screenshots to demonstrate that my FVF of $9.09 was credited. It doesn't show up as a separate line item that you're credited- but it is applied to the buyer's refund from eBay's end of things.

transactionview.png

feecharged.pngfeecredit.png

Message 1 of 16
latest reply
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

Hi @fern*wood and @coffeebean832! I've heard back that the credit you're seeing is working as designed. It's the exception to the rule for Final Value Fee credits with partial refunds. They'll also work to update wording both internally and public facing so there should be less confusion going forward.

Thanks for your question to prompt this @fern*wood! I'll go back to the Weekly Chat and update posts there so anyone that stumbles across them will get accurate info as well. 

Velvet,
eBay

View Best Answer in original post

Message 14 of 16
latest reply
15 REPLIES 15

Interesting.  I know that used to be the case with remorse returns, but something made me start to think I was wrong.   I have a return on the way back now and wanted to get it clarified before I completed the refund.

Did you see the follow-up post on the chat to you questioning the answer I was given?  The information page posted still just stated a partial refund would mean no FVF refund (which I knew),  but it didn't specifically say withholding the postage would be considered a partial.   

Thanks for your example.

Message 2 of 16
latest reply

I saw Velvet's follow-up and that's why I posted here. In a remorse situation with separate ship costs- refunding item cost minus original shipping is considered a full refund.

Buyer's can't appeal it. They can complain to CS and they might get a courtesy coupon or something- but as far as I'm aware- they can't escalate to a case to say they didn't get a full refund.

You'll see when the return comes back how the process works, Fern. With a situation where you might deduct because of damage- you won't see anything regarding fees. With a remorse return when free shipping was not offered- you'll see the FVF subtracted from what you owe the buyer right there on the return screen before you hit the submit button.

If you see something different then eBay made a major unannounced policy change. Come back to let us know what happens when the item is returned.

Message 3 of 16
latest reply

@fern*wood wrote:

Interesting.  I know that used to be the case with remorse returns, but something made me start to think I was wrong.   I have a return on the way back now and wanted to get it clarified before I completed the refund.

Did you see the follow-up post on the chat to you questioning the answer I was given?  The information page posted still just stated a partial refund would mean no FVF refund (which I knew),  but it didn't specifically say withholding the postage would be considered a partial.   

Thanks for your example.

Hey @fern*wood! Everything indicates that a partial refund of any kind should not provide a Final Value Fee credit. Given @coffeebean832's example was from August, please keep us updated on what happens with your claim. If you fall into the instance coffeebean832 described and you get the Final Value Fee credit when only refunding the item amount, then please let us know so we can work to have things updated. 

Velvet,
eBay
Message 4 of 16
latest reply

velvet@ebay wrote:

If you fall into the instance coffeebean832 described and you get the Final Value Fee credit when only refunding the item amount, then please let us know so we can work to have things updated. 

Does that mean updated to correct the policy page with regards to remorse returns, or does it mean to update the system so we stop getting fee credits in this situation velvet@ebay? You're making me nervous here.

GLORIOUS!

Confused about the switch to eBay discounted shipping? Read this discussion to make an informed decision about opt in / opt out.
Message 5 of 16
latest reply

@wastingtime101 wrote:

velvet@ebay wrote:

If you fall into the instance coffeebean832 described and you get the Final Value Fee credit when only refunding the item amount, then please let us know so we can work to have things updated. 

Does that mean updated to correct the policy page with regards to remorse returns, or does it mean to update the system so we stop getting fee credits in this situation velvet@ebay? You're making me nervous here.

I'm not sure @wastingtime101🤔 I would let them know what's going on and that decision would be out of my hands. If there's a discrepancy between policy and process then they would work to align the two. I'll keep my fingers crossed that it's the policy that gets updated if @fern*wood comes back saying they got the FVF credit.  😊

Velvet,
eBay
Message 6 of 16
latest reply

I received my return today and processed the refund.  There was a toggle I would have had to move if I chose to refund the initial postage paid by the buyer -- I did not do this.  I refunded the cost of the item only and was given a credit for the final value fees (except for the thirty cents). 

@coffeebean832 

velvet@ebay 

Message 7 of 16
latest reply

@fern*wood wrote:

I received my return today and processed the refund.  There was a toggle I would have had to move if I chose to refund the initial postage paid by the buyer -- I did not do this.  I refunded the cost of the item only and was given a credit for the final value fees (except for the thirty cents). 

@coffeebean832 

velvet@ebay 

Thanks for following up @fern*wood! I've passed this on and requested information be updated to reflect this both internally and public facing; or to turn that credit feature off if it's not supposed to be issuing credits in any partial refund scenario. 

Velvet,
eBay
Message 8 of 16
latest reply

Well, since we are permitted to not refund the initial shipping on remorse returns and the toggle was actually set that way on the screen when I pulled up the refund page, it would be quite a slap in the face to then withhold the final value fees for using the option.  

Message 9 of 16
latest reply

I have noticed it since last summer that they won’t credit fees if you keep original shipping. i asked them for fee credits back and look at screenshot with reply.

6D02813D-221B-481C-BCC1-9293A617509F.jpeg

Message 10 of 16
latest reply

I was denied fee credits when I received item in different condition and processed partial refund. It started like that in the late summer. It is crazy since youshould have seller protection to be able to get some money when item is unusable anymore but EBAY TAKES THAT MONEY FROM YOU (TO COVER FEE CREDITS BECUSE YOU SOMEHOW MADE MONEY ON ITEM THAT CAUSED YOU LOSSES)

Message 11 of 16
latest reply

velvet@ebay wrote:

or to turn that credit feature off if it's not supposed to be issuing credits in any partial refund scenario. 

I can't believe I'm reading this. eBay wouldn't actually make this kind of massive policy change without announcing it in a Seller Update with a minimum of 30 days notice to sellers, would they?

GLORIOUS!

Confused about the switch to eBay discounted shipping? Read this discussion to make an informed decision about opt in / opt out.
Message 12 of 16
latest reply

@wastingtime101 wrote:

velvet@ebay wrote:

or to turn that credit feature off if it's not supposed to be issuing credits in any partial refund scenario. 

I can't believe I'm reading this. eBay wouldn't actually make this kind of massive policy change without announcing it in a Seller Update with a minimum of 30 days notice to sellers, would they?

Can't believe it either - but YES, e-Bay would make a change like this and we often only find out when we stumble across it as it applies to the situation at hand.  

If they do, this would be a mean and un-necessary change.  One of the few ways a Seller who is encouraged to offer FREE returns can deal with a REMORSE Buyer.  Surely, e-Bay has to realize Sellers cannot/should not keeping eating these fees/costs!

....... "The Ranger isn't gonna like it Yogi"......... Boo-Boo knew what he was talking about!

Posting ID Only.......
Yes, I have no Bananas, only Flamethrowers.......
Message 13 of 16
latest reply

Hi @fern*wood and @coffeebean832! I've heard back that the credit you're seeing is working as designed. It's the exception to the rule for Final Value Fee credits with partial refunds. They'll also work to update wording both internally and public facing so there should be less confusion going forward.

Thanks for your question to prompt this @fern*wood! I'll go back to the Weekly Chat and update posts there so anyone that stumbles across them will get accurate info as well. 

Velvet,
eBay
Message 14 of 16
latest reply

velvet@ebay- Phew! You had us worried there for a while that eBay might change the process. Thanks for working to get the written policy content corrected.

Thanks Fern for confirming the process I posted above. It's been that way for years and I hadn't heard a peep about it changing, so that would have been a shock if eBay decided to do a 180° on it.

Message 15 of 16
latest reply