cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Charging sales tax

I have not sold in years. Do I need to charge sales tax? If so where do I go to fill out whatever I need to fill out so eBay will collect the tax. Thanks so much for any help. I just sold 4 items and did not collect sales tax. I am so terrified I did something really wrong. Thanks

Message 1 of 13
latest reply
12 REPLIES 12

Charging sales tax

You did nothing wrong.   Ebay automatically figures and collects the sales tax on all applicable sales.

Message 2 of 13
latest reply

Charging sales tax

No, you do not have to charge or handle sales tax.  eBay automatically collects it and forwards it to the buyer's state.

Message 3 of 13
latest reply

Charging sales tax

This is only tangentially related to your question:  If you "have not sold in years", you might want to preliminarily refresh your knowledge by reading about Selling in the tutorial at the bottom of the page.

You will need to make sure you have made the switch to Managed Payments, first of all.

And some sellers, even experienced ones, were surprised to discover that the FVF is calculated on the shipping cost, the item price and the state sales taxes, if applicable.  

Please read these Boards periodically because just about any question anyone can have here will be asked here.  And, of course, feel free to return and ask your questions.  

BTW:  What kind of metal are the cookie cutters made out of?  

Message 4 of 13
latest reply

Charging sales tax

You don't have to worry about the sales tax.  eBay collects and remits it.  However, your final value fee is on the total payment eBay collects from the buyer. 

Message 5 of 13
latest reply

Charging sales tax

Also be aware that people who have not sold in years are treated as new sellers and new sellers have rather harsh limits placed on how many items they can list.  Your payments may also be placed on hold for up to 30 days.

Message 6 of 13
latest reply

Charging sales tax

Hello,

I sold 3 items and no sales tax was charged. Do I need to fill out something so EBay will charge taxes or is it automatic? Thanks for any help. I have been trying to find something on EBay all morning. Thanks

Message 7 of 13
latest reply

Charging sales tax

It's automatic, don't worry about it.  Apparently those buyers live in a state that doesn't charge any sales tax, or were exempted, such as  due the type of item etc. For instance, some states don't charge sales tax on clothing so eBay doesn't charge those states' buyers sales tax on items that have been listed in the Clothing category.

Message 8 of 13
latest reply

Charging sales tax

Thank you so much. I sold antiques so I would say that are not charged. Sorry but this is so confusing to me. I know at one time I filled the form on eBay to charge sales tax. I will assume that the buyers I sold to live in states where sales tax is not collected. Again thank you so much for taking time to answer!!

Message 9 of 13
latest reply

Charging sales tax

I would say it is tin. A magnet sticks to it. 

Message 10 of 13
latest reply

Charging sales tax

eBay has a pretty good grip on the state sales tax situation, so perhaps you sold to buyers whose states do not have a state sales tax.

Message 11 of 13
latest reply

Charging sales tax

You can see the sales tax amount collected by eBay for the item on the sales invoice.  You can print a copy of the invoice to include with your purchases so the buyer can see exactly what their payment covered. 

Message 12 of 13
latest reply

Charging sales tax

Maybe you should have included that information in your listings.  Don't most potential buyers want to know the construction and materials of what they are buying?  

Message 13 of 13
latest reply