cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cant receive messages from Blocked Buyers Anymore??

It's *really* important that I can receive messages from buyers on my blocked list.

This is so I can work out issues with them, while at the same time keeping them from bidding on new items until all is resolved.

This used to be an option you could set- now it seems something has changed, I cant get messages from blocked buyers, and cant figure out how to re-enable it.

Anyone know about this?

It is SUPER annoying that Ebay changes these things without notifying us- I almost got stuck with a negative feedback for a whole year, thinking a buyer was ghosting my messages, but turned out they were replying the whole time- I just never got them!

I tested this with a friend, and sure enough- the second I put them on my block list- their messages wouldnt come through 😠

Any help on this greatly appreciated 🙂

Message 1 of 66
latest reply
65 REPLIES 65

Re: Cant receive messages from Blocked Buyers Anymore??

"- Can buyers blocked through the BBL still message you if they're in a recent transaction with you or has that changed?" - No, not anymore.

THAT IS HORRIBLE.

YET ANOTHER EXAMPLE OF EBAY BREAKING THINGS THAT DIDN'T NEED TO BE FIXED.

YET ANOTHER THING MADE **WORSE** TO ADD TO THE LIST.

Message 46 of 66
latest reply

"IMHO I do not see this change as a help to sellers but a problem. Knowing this now, I would not want to put a buyer of a current transaction on my BBL leaving me at risk for them to purchase something else which could be a problem. Before I did not have to take this risk. Now I would. Nope, don't like it."

EXACTLY.

YOU BLEW IT ON THIS ONE, EBAY.

Message 47 of 66
latest reply

@exoticatropicals wrote:

"as it was an unnecessary extra step involved in the blocking process."

UH.. WE NEED THAT!

WE NEED THE OPTION TO RECEIVE MESSAGES FROM BUYERS ON OUR BLOCKED LIST.

PLEASE FIX THIS SCREW UP 😉

Obviously, this is NOT a "screw up" and therefore will NEVER be changed. 

This simply means you need to CHANGE how you do business.... going forward.

Message 48 of 66
latest reply

@buyselljack2016 wrote:

While blocking communication is often desired there needs to be an avenue of communication left open in some instances where there has been a transaction. 

There could have been miscommunication that can be resolved, but the seller need to be protected short term from additional issues via the "block".

The option to communicate should be kept open when desired by the seller.

As more sellers discover this change in functionality, I think you'll find a lot of FB coming in from sellers that share the quoted view kyle@ebay . You can add me to that list.

GLORIOUS!

Confused about the switch to eBay discounted shipping? Read this discussion to make an informed decision about opt in / opt out.
Message 49 of 66
latest reply

"

As in my previous post to you I explain why this change actually hurts some sellers in regards to communicating with some buyers while having them blocked from further purchases. But they have a current transaction to work through and that buyer has the right to ask me question as long as they are civil in doing so.

I'm sure it has been what you were told that so many of us were asking for this change. I personally don't buy it."

YEP!

Message 50 of 66
latest reply

Final questions on this change which I expect @exoticatropicals could answer for us. My apologies if you mentioned this already, but it's a long discussion thread and I don't want to go back and re-read the whole thing.

As a seller, what did you see when attempting to message the blocked buyer? Did you get an error or did it look like your message went through?

--- I CAN MESSAGE THE BLOCKED BUYER AND THEY WILL GET MY MESSAGE(S)

THE PROBLEM IS, THEY WILL REPLY AND I WON'T GET IT OR SEE IT.

THEY END UP THINKING I GHOSTED THEM, WHICH COULD MAKE THEM ANGRY, RESULTING IN NEGATIVE FEEDBACK OR WORSE PROBLEMS.

I HAD A BLOCKED BUYER FINALLY FIGURE OUT MY EMAIL ADDRESS AND CONTACT ME THAT WAY.  THEY SENT ME SCREENSHOTS OFF THEIR PHONE OF ALL THE MESSAGES THEY HAD SENT ME THAT I NEVER SAW.

THEN I TESTED THIS WITH A FRIEND, AND SURE ENOUGH.. THAT'S WHAT HAPPENS.

I TOOK MY FRIEND OFF BUYER BLOCK, HOPING MAYBE BY SOME STROKE OF LUCK, THEIR "LOST" MESSAGES WOULD MAGICALLY APPEAR IN MY EBAY INBOX, BUT NOPE- THEY DISAPPEARED INTO THE ETHER APPARENTLY.

As a buyer, what did your friend see when attempting to message you? I'm assuming they saw the standard message saying they're blocked and can't contact you?

NO THEY SAW NOTHING OF THE SORT.  IT APPEARED TO THEM LIKE IT WENT THROUGH JUST FINE.

THEY ONLY SEE A "YOU ARE BLOCKED" MESSAGE IF THEY ATTEMPT TO BUY OR BID ON A NEW ITEM.

Message 51 of 66
latest reply

@asset_liquidators wrote:

It has everything to do with it. Only put those on your BBL who you no longer wish to do business with. And if you do decide to add someone to your list there must be a good reason to so no good can come from removing them.

You may want to revisit my post you are responding to.  I never suggested you take someone off your BBL.  Why would I do that?  That is something the seller decides.  ??????????

mam98031  •  Volunteer Community Member  •  Buyer/Seller since 1999
Message 52 of 66
latest reply

Bad move on the part of eBay.

While blocking communication is often desired there needs to be an avenue of communication left open in some instances where there has been a transaction. 

There could have been miscommunication that can be resolved, but the seller need to be protected short term from additional issues via the "block"..

EXACTLY THIS.

Message 53 of 66
latest reply

THATS GREAT FOR YOU.

IT IS A PROBLEM FOR MANY OF US, HOWEVER.

Message 54 of 66
latest reply

NOPE.

THEY BROKE IT. WORKED FINE FOR YEARS.

Message 55 of 66
latest reply

@buyselljack2016 wrote:

Bad move on the part of eBay.

There could have been miscommunication that can be resolved, but the seller need to be protected short term from additional issues via the "block"..

@buyselljack2016 

YES!!  I've said that a few times on this thread.  It doesn't seem to be a very popular opinion however.  But I support it.

Some sellers put buyers on their BBL for very good reasons, others for very little reason.  Just depends on the seller.  

I'm with you, if the buyer has a current transaction with the seller they should be able to converse with their seller.  That is MUCH BETTER than just forcing them to file a dispute when something may be worked out short of that if they could just talk to the seller.  But the seller is forcing their hand.

Message 56 of 66
latest reply

@robbie31415 wrote:

I disagree.

There is never any reason for me to ever communicate with a buyer to resolve an issue.

The only communication I provide is an apology.

WOW that is sad indeed!!!!!

Message 57 of 66
latest reply

YOU NOW HAVE TO DO IT (UNBLOCK THEM) IN ORDER TO COMMUNICATE WITH THEM.

OTHERWISE THEY MIGHT GET ANGRY, LEAVE A BAD FEEDBACK, ETC.

THERE ARE A MILLION REASONS WHERE YOU MAY NEED TO RECEIVE COMMUNICATION FROM THEM- THEY HAD DONE A TRANSACTION WITH YOU AFTER ALL, AND THAT ONE LIKELY HAD ISSUES THAT NEED TO GET WORKED OUT.

Message 58 of 66
latest reply

@stainlessenginecovers wrote:

@exoticatropicals wrote:

"as it was an unnecessary extra step involved in the blocking process."

UH.. WE NEED THAT!

WE NEED THE OPTION TO RECEIVE MESSAGES FROM BUYERS ON OUR BLOCKED LIST.

PLEASE FIX THIS SCREW UP 😉

Obviously, this is NOT a "screw up" and therefore will NEVER be changed. 

This simply means you need to CHANGE how you do business.... going forward.

Well that is not completely true.  While it is by design not a "screw up" doesn't mean Ebay won't listen to us.  There are many things over the years that Ebay has changed because of sellers speaking up.  But there are also many things they haven't, so it could go either way.

Our voice are important either way.  Everyone's for or against.

Message 59 of 66
latest reply

I agree.

and we really need this back.

That's why I'll keep testing it, and keep this thread active with the results.

I encourage anyone else affected by this poorly thought out change to post here and let your voice be heard.

Message 60 of 66
latest reply