cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can you help me understand the "Listing Tools" please?

I'm very confused about the listing tools.  At today's weekly chat Trinton said there is a "mobile friendly checker" only on the Quick Listing Tool.  That got me worried because I thought that new "auto relist" was only on the Quick List Tool for "occasional sellers". (and I don't want auto relist).  So when I asked more about it,

Trinton said:  

"Happy to share! Currently there are a total of four tools, though most sellers will only interact with two. We have the Quick Listing Tool, the Advanced Listing Tool and New versions of both. The New Quick Listing Tool is only for occasional and new sellers, while the older version is what you are likely using. The New Advanced Listing Tool is what you find when you navigate to the Advanced Tool, and the old version is only accessible for a very small percentage of sellers (and will be retired in the coming months). 

I know it would be easier if they had more unique names and I apologize for any confusion you have run into when talking about our listing tools. Based on the number of feedback you have, you would only be accessing the New Quick Listing Tool and the New Advanced Listing Tool."

He said "based on the number of feedback you have, you would only be accessing the New Quick Listing Tool".... So I have 4267 feedback...so I am considered occasional seller?? And will I then be forced with auto listing?

Message 1 of 23
latest reply
22 REPLIES 22

@wendybac

Which tool (looking at the 2 screenshots below) are you using? I am using the advanced one (bottom), and see the option to use the mobile-friendly checker. I don't see the option to switch for me - I have only have a score of about 1000, and apparently am not an occasional seller as you were told? Makes no sense to me...basic.PNG

andanced.PNG

https://bio.link/langs
Message 2 of 23
latest reply

I usually start a listing by finding one of my sold items and then just click on "sell similar",  remove the old photos, add new ones etc.

The thing is...recently there was news about ... eBay may relist your items if they don't sell (without sellers permission)...alot of talk on the boards about this.  Anyway it was clarified that it would only be done to "occasional  or new" sellers and these new, occasional sellers would only be using the Quick List Tool.  That is why I'm concerned I might be using that tool....why don't they label them??  And according to Trinton...there are 4 listing tools now!

Message 3 of 23
latest reply

As a TRS, it's extremely unlikely that you're using the dreaded new Quick listing tool.

The way to tell is: If you are setting up a listing in fixed price format, are you offered various options for listing duration or does it default to "Good until canceled" as shown below? If your listing doesn't look like that screen shot, then you are NOT using the new Quick tool and you can relax.

New Quick form duration underlined.png

Message 4 of 23
latest reply

I usually do auctions, but sometimes want to do a fixed price for 7 or 10 days.  

I wonder if Trinton just made an error when he said I was likely using Quick List Tool?

Message 5 of 23
latest reply

General reply....

The obsfucation continues.  

Message 6 of 23
latest reply

After I asked about the mobile checker tool today on chat, I'm even more confused really.

Turns out I must have one ID with the old new advanced listing tool and now my other ID has the new new advanced listing tool---which BTW doesn't work as well as my first one.

I'm back here because the new new advanced listing tool will not allow me to enter any description.  Anyone know what to do with that?  I've tried 5 times.  That never happened on my old new listing tool.

Message 7 of 23
latest reply

Thank you for starting this thread!  I was about to post about the same topic.

Reading through the Chat With Staff thread made my head spin.

Trinton said:  

"Happy to share! Currently there are a total of four tools, though most sellers will only interact with two. We have the Quick Listing Tool, the Advanced Listing Tool and New versions of both. The New Quick Listing Tool is only for occasional and new sellers, while the older version is what you are likely using. The New Advanced Listing Tool is what you find when you navigate to the Advanced Tool, and the old version is only accessible for a very small percentage of sellers (and will be retired in the coming months). 

@Anonymous

Question: How do I know which tool I am currently using???  I'm using one of the Advanced (via a bookmark).

Then Triton said:

...you won't need to run the checker on every listing you create going forward, you just have to know how your listings are formatted and take the appropriate steps. If you are using HTML, then you need to add the appropriate code which is included in the link I provided previously (http://www.ebay.com/tools/sell/mobile-friendly-test). If you are not using HTML, then you would not need to take any additional steps.

Then, when seeing a screen shot posted by Labs, Trinton commented that the Mobile Friendly Checker link above the description box was on the old Advanced tool--the tool that is going away.

@Anonymous

I use html in my listings. 

Question:  Are you saying that every time I create a new one (which is very often, as I sell OOAK), I must copy & paste in the required code myself???

The Advanced tool I am currently using has that link above the description box that I merely click on, and it can mobile friendlyize my listing in a snap.  You said that that screen shot was of the old form. 

Question:  Why would eBay take away that quick and easy option?  [Subsequent posters, I know, I know...eBay is eBay]?

Message 8 of 23
latest reply

Wouldn't the simple way to help us sellers be... Put the name of the Listing Tool at the top of the listing tool?  Since there are 4 of them now it is so confusing.

And describe which avenue we should use to get to each one of the listing tools....and describe exactly how each one is different?  Oh and also warn "occasional or new" sellers that their listing might be relisted without them knowing it?

Message 9 of 23
latest reply

Simple thing would be to actually number them and post a jpg (readable) of each one on U tube or somewhere we could see them.......

Message 10 of 23
latest reply

Wouldn't the simple way to help us sellers be... Put the name of the Listing Tool at the top of the listing tool?

Gee, ya think? 

I thought I knew what I was using, but now after reading all this, I have no idea. 

I'm not sure trying to help people based on it being "likely" they have one version or another is very efficient either.

The Floggings Will Continue Until Morale Improves.
Message 11 of 23
latest reply

I was incorrect on chat I told him I used the SYI & he is saying it that is the old advanced tool.

I use what they refer to as both the New Advanced Listing Tool and The New Listing Tool, because when the summer update came out I sent him screen shots to the ask community email to find out which mine was.

I suggest you just go to your upper right corner & hit Sell just to see what comes up
You can always cancel out of it but make sure it's not sent to a draft you may have to delete

Mine looks like this screen shot 1  I input a Title or UPC , under it is my drafts

listing tool 1.JPG

Screen shot 2 I input a title then pick the category I want from the drop downs they show or continue & browse categories & pick one

listing tool 2.JPG

Screen shot 3 is part of the form , it is all on 1 page. as you move down past picture area you have description (which does have the mobile checker upper right hand corner of description box as shown in chat today) selling format, duration, price, shipping etc.

listing tool 3.JPG

Description area with mobile checker
listing tool 4.JPG

Under description is all the other things on this 1 page
such as your selling format, price, shipping & fees

Message 12 of 23
latest reply

That's the form I have been using for months on one ID and then Trinten said that the checker tool is only on the quick listing tool.  My other ID looks exactly the same, only without the checker tool.

As soon as I see the words "Let me further clarify", I know I'm probably going to be lost.

Message 13 of 23
latest reply

I know fern it's confusing to everyone
The quick listing tool is easy to spot now that they came out with the new UA & relist thing.

Plus Alan posted the picture on the Summer Update board & We all know you can't set a duration for fixed on that one.
You can tell for sure if you are in the quick listing tool , you have been around long enough .
If your in the New Advanced tool I am not sure why it doesn't have the mobile checker like mine does, just doesn't make sense to me. 

Message 14 of 23
latest reply

Thank you!  I tried your suggestion and in the upper right corner it had the option to use "Quick List", (which I did not touch), so I assume I was in New Advanced or New Listing Tool (not sure which though?)

Message 15 of 23
latest reply