cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can other sellers hear the alarm bells ringing on this buyer's message?

Yesterday I received this message from a buyer:  

"Want to return. Not what we wanted. Overpriced. Want money back and return shipping label. Also, damaged during shipping."

The item was an inexpensive paperback, which USPS had delivered at the buyer's home at 4:54 PM.  The buyer had sent me this email at 7:05 PM -- slightly over two hours later.

Notice that the buyer had provided THREE different reasons for the return -- "Not what we wanted" and "Overpriced" and "damaged during shipping."

Doncha think the buyer would have been able to decide whether or not it was something that they wanted BEFORE placing the order?!?  And my prices aren't hidden anywhere, plus I didn't force the buyer to make the purchase -- so, if the buyer thought that it was overpriced, why bother making the purchase?!?

Finally -- anyone who has ever purchased books from me (especially single items) knows that I package my books like miniature bricks -- no cheap, flimsy envelopes and no loose edges -- just a very solid slab, for which I have received compliments from both buyers and USPS.  Ain't no way my shipment was damaged during shipping, unless my package was Ground Zero for an atomic bomb blast.

Not impossible -- just improbable.

But the buyer did not open an eBay request for return -- simply demanding a refund and a shipping label.

I questioned the buyer regarding the damage, emphasizing the very solid nature of my shipments, and that I could not comprehend how any conceivable damage could have penetrated my package.  To which the buyer stated: 

Package was torn and book was ripped. Please supply return label and I will return it for refund

But still no official eBay return request.

My follow-up message re-emphasized the sturdiness of my packages, plus a request for front and rear close-up photos of the book itself, to compare the book in question with the book that I had sent.  At the same time, I informed the buyer that each of the books which I sell has very small, very minute identifiers hidden inside, to prevent issues with postal fraud, in the case of individuals who may decide to switch their old, beat-up books for one of mine.

And, for the last several hours -- silence.

Message 1 of 24
latest reply
23 REPLIES 23

Re: Can other sellers hear the alarm bells ringing on this buyer's message?

They may have abused the MBG and lost their return privileges, in which case they can't even open a return, and you'll be able to safely ignore this.  Otherwise, they might open an actual return case, and then treat it like any other return.  You're right, they're probably up to no good, but you can't really do anything to help yourself other than wait right now.

Message 16 of 24
latest reply

@1786davycrockett 

Independent of the issues related to a return, this buyer got under your skin. I know from experience.

Your responses appear to be passive aggressive as a result and only tend to continue the dispute.

The only meaningful answer is to tell the buyer to open a return request that you will deal with in line with Ebay policy. Maybe the silence you have now will continue, or maybe the buyer will return with more **bleep**

Maybe you will return fire, and maybe you won't. But you have wasted your time in the exchange so far and maybe you will waste some more.

Clearly, you have pride in your packaging. Your peers respect that. It is likely that most of your other buyers do too. It is not necessary for you to defend it.

Message 17 of 24
latest reply

As others have stated. Don't communicate anymore. Wait for them to open a case which I doubt they will. 

If they do, call them out with their own messages (too many excuses being made up) in the case so eBay can view. If package was torn open, there should be some type of USPS label or tape stating damaged in route. Buyer probably won't be unable to provide such photos of the package with the shipping label in the same photo. 

Message 18 of 24
latest reply

Why are you communicating with them.  The only communication they should have received would have been "I'm sorry you aren't satisfied with your purchase.  You can return the book for a refund upon it's arrival.  Please use the return option which can be found on your order history page for this order.  Thank you."

Nothing needs to be said after that.  Your buyer is fishing for a free book.  Call his bluff.

Message 19 of 24
latest reply

Sounds like they are just asking for a refund without opening a case.  Loss of MBG privileges?  Used to getting a refund with this message?  If a case isn't opened, ignore.  If a case is opened, I would request the item back first (even if money is lost).  Then if they don't return, you don't have to refund.

evry1nositswindy  •  seller since 2013
Volunteer Community Mentor

Message 20 of 24
latest reply

"Overpriced" LOL

Maybe they read the book and want to return it 

"Are you going to buy that book? This isn't a library, you know"

Message 21 of 24
latest reply

It's the wally mart shoppers.  They return as fast  as they buy.    eBay over the years has become a little too buyer friendly.

Message 22 of 24
latest reply

I love selling overpriced items!

Smoke From A Distant Fire - Sanford Townsend Band
Message 23 of 24
latest reply

@inhawaii wrote:

I love selling overpriced items!

Top dollar rocks.

Posting ID
Message 24 of 24
latest reply