cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

COVID Bill has new regulations for selling on eBay in 2022. Sellers - Beware.

I just read that starting in 2022,  eBay will start reporting to the IRS all sales totaling in a year of over $600.  It is in the new 2 trillion $$ spending bill.   Currently, it is $20,000.   Is that true?  Not sure what that has to do with helping get rid of COVID, but maybe it does in some way.   I'm sure someone will tell us.  

Message 1 of 244
latest reply
243 REPLIES 243

Re: COVID Bill has new regulations for selling on eBay in 2022. Sellers - Beware.

@perfumenmore wrote:

How is selling an item you already paid tax on and collecting tax from the buyer evading taxes?  Some states need to collect extra revenue because of poor management and chasing their tax base out of their states. Florida, Texas, and South Dakota have seen record increases in population as people flee those irresponsible states.  It's not for no reason several poorly managed states just lost congressional seats. 

How does sales tax have anything to do with this thread about income tax?

Another Faux Nooz zombie.

Message 76 of 244
latest reply

Re: COVID Bill has new regulations for selling on eBay in 2022. Sellers - Beware.

@perfumenmore wrote:

What are you talking about? It hasn't even gone to the Senate and the Democrats don't have the votes. 

The American Rescue Plan Act, which includes the $600 threshold for 1099k, was signed into law on March 11th. Didn't Faux tell you?

Message 77 of 244
latest reply

Yes, Ebay will become just another online  store with some second hand venders....   they will see huge drops in customers... no one needs the IRS hassle to sale yard sale stuff.

Message 78 of 244
latest reply

They arent, they just tell people they need to update their info which means ...  add your SSN  so they can send your 1099..... or they restrict you from selling.   Will probably be Ebays downfall unless they can get buy with there online stores, because thats all there will be.

Message 79 of 244
latest reply

thank you

Message 80 of 244
latest reply

noted

Message 81 of 244
latest reply

awsh

Message 82 of 244
latest reply

good post

Message 83 of 244
latest reply

thanks

Message 84 of 244
latest reply

thank youu

Message 85 of 244
latest reply

good reply

Message 86 of 244
latest reply

good

Message 87 of 244
latest reply

thnk

Message 88 of 244
latest reply

Been on ebay since 2001 and I'm done.  Was always a small-time seller of personal items.  Sometimes I'd get something from a friend or family member.  The old limit was a decent way to exempt the closet cleaner types (20k and 200 transactions). 

If anything it should have been changed to just over the standard deduction since most people are wage earners and the income wouldn't matter unless it went over 12k/year.  Even then that's not accounting for what the actual profit there was -if any.   

I can not afford to lose my entire livelihood and health insurance because I sold a few things on ebay, with no profit because I'm just recouping what I spent on it years ago.  What this will do for me is I'll just refuse to buy anything; because I have no way to sell it without losing everything I have.  This is a very shortsighted and punitive punishment of the poor and working classes.

The previous limits made an allotment for regular people.  And yes I remember placing classified ads to sell something; maybe we should have had a automated system to send 1099s to those people as well?  They put their name and phone number in the ad.  Why not have an automated jaywalking system and just mail the fines directly? 

Message 89 of 244
latest reply

You were never exempt from reporting what you earned on ebay. With proper deductions.....what you describe wouldn't require paying income tax, presuming you didn't sell for more than the purchase price.......

Message 90 of 244
latest reply