cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Buyers need to treat sellers a whole lot better, or Ebay is dead

My wife has been an ebay seller for nearly 20 years, works really hard, tries to give the best customer service.

But time and time again customers don't read the description are unreasonable with postage delays that are beyond the control of my wife and make unjust complaints and sometimes leave vile and untrue negative feedback that ebay can't be bothered to remove.

Ebay: if you are reading this, you need to act fast, you are treating sellers like a pile of s**t, whilst regarding the often stupid and abusive buyers as gods.

Without sellers ebay is toast. And maybe it deserves to be.

Message 1 of 41
latest reply
40 REPLIES 40

Re: Buyers need to treat sellers a whole lot better, or Ebay is dead

@assortedcollectibles wrote:

I detest this notion that it has to be this way and that other places are somehow the same. I know it isn't true.

You ‘work hard’ with ‘the public’ in any capacity for 20 years … and you’ll likely experience burnout.  That’s just the way it is.  🫤

Message 16 of 41
latest reply

It has become increasingly difficult recently to appeal against bad actions by buyers, for instance buying a good item from the seller and returning their own faulty item for a full refund.

That has been an issue for sellers since 2008 when eBay introduced the Money Back Guarantee, and it is not going to change. 

The reality is that eBay did not see what the seller shipped, and did not see what the buyer returned. So every situation is essentially a "he said, she said" argument. 

As much as people here want to fantasize that eBay will die or that they "must do something" about this ... eBay has years and years of data about billions and billion of transactions. They are not making decisions in a vacuum. They know the likelihood of a buyer leaving after a bad transaction, versus the likelihood of a seller sticking around after a bad transaction. They have done the math, and they are going to do what is in eBay's best interests, not the seller's. 

Message 17 of 41
latest reply

"I like respectful buyers"

Buyers are like your family.  You can't choose them.

"I don't like ebay's policy towards sellers"

You (or your wife) have implicitly agreed to these policies.

I hope this clarifies things.

Message 18 of 41
latest reply

Maybe you missed the question mark at the end of my post.  Please, don't say I'm putting words and extremes in peoples mouths when I'm asking them a question. It deters a constructive conversation and support.

Message 19 of 41
latest reply

I will say, people have been saying this about eBay for a long time.  eBay is still here.

eBay will never be completely safe though... from class action lawsuits or competition.

I disagree with others... EBAY STAYS IN BUSINESS not because they protect buyers.  It's because buyers can find the cheapest prices and rare finds/selection on eBay, like no place else.

Yes, in any retail business there are abusive buyers.  The difference is eBay forces sellers to accept returns even when it clearly conflicts with the Return Policy.  In any other business, that is not the case.  Amazon, Walmart, etc. stand by their return policies (and have the benefit of great return contracts with their suppliers so they don't get stuck with their returned items).  Prices are higher on other platforms to cover costs of returns.  eBay buyers are too cheap.

All big business ignore abusive customers (or demanding customers) nowadays.  Even eBay does it.  But, they force us sellers to give customers pretty much anything they want.

eBay does need to make sure they keep their larger sellers happy.  That is their money.

We sold enough last year to pay eBay over $40k (not including shipping) last year.  They could care less about complying with their own "Sellers Protection" policy for us.

I feel your wife's pain and do hope eBay improves a little on Seller Protections.

Kim
Message 20 of 41
latest reply

@luckythewinner wrote:

Ebay: if you are reading this, you need to act fast

Buyers have been able to defraud sellers ever since 2008 when the Money Back Guarantee was introduced. And since then, eBay has a long history of making changes and creating policies that favor buyers over sellers. 

And after all that, sellers still flock to this site to list items and make sales. So while you might want to see eBay act fast, I don't think they see much compelling evidence that they need to. 

The reason sellers flock to this site is because there really aren't any viable alternatives out there outside of Amazon which only works for some items/sellers  and is significantly more seller hostile than eBay. Been a seller on both and I will take eBay over Amazon as a seller any day of the week.   Bring on a site that will have a similar buyer reach and name recognition as eBay, then sellers will move on.  Until then, there really isn't a viable option but to keep 'flocking' here.

Message 21 of 41
latest reply

"Without sellers ebay is toast. And maybe it deserves to be."

With over thirty million sellers, and thousands more joining every month, Ebay will never run out of sellers. And Ebay thinks, without buyers, they are ''toast'.

``````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````

“Never pick a fight with an ugly person. They don’t have anything to lose.” ~Robin Williams
Message 22 of 41
latest reply

Not just retail, but any public facing business.

"If a product doesn't sell, raise the price" - Reese Palley
"If it sold FAST, it was priced too low" - also Reese Palley
Message 23 of 41
latest reply

@paulbeepaul wrote:

I don't like ebay's policy towards sellers, who by default are regarded as being in the wrong, whereas buyers are regarded as being in the right.

It's not just Ebay, pretty much any business that depends on buyers think that way.

Have a great day
Message 24 of 41
latest reply

Those buyers who gave sellers a hard time usually end up on someone's block buyer's list.

I love it when a buyer wonders why they can't buy from me...and I just tell me something in the past happened and you are currently blocked from a purchase. It kinda makes my day.

Message 25 of 41
latest reply

@paulbeepaul wrote:

I like respectful buyers, who read the descriptions and treat the seller like a decent human being. But a significant minority of buyers are quite the opposite.

I don't like ebay's policy towards sellers, who by default are regarded as being in the wrong, whereas buyers are regarded as being in the right. It has become increasingly difficult recently to appeal against bad actions by buyers, for instance buying a good item from the seller and returning their own faulty item for a full refund. I'm not saying that all buyers are like this, of course they are not, but enough to cause real problems for sellers.

I hope this clarifies things.

You CHOOSE to sell here. As much as some buyers may be not so great, most are fine. It's a game of numbers. You either choose to participate and make sales, dealing with the occasional problem buyer, or you don't. You either choose to accept the rules of the platform, or you don't.

I hate to burst sellers little bubbles, but it's not just buyers who stink, it's sellers too. Everywhere, including online, the norm of "customer service" is the jerk yelling "get off my lawn!". Small mom and pop store, or a large corporate store, customer service does not exist anymore. People are rude, obnoxious and self involved. From the cashier to the store owner, people/customers are treated like adversaries. 

Someone with good customer service skills does not start out complaining that the "idiot" buyer didn't read the description. Someone who cares about their business and does not see buyers are the adversary, does not start off knocking down and blaming buyers. They know not all buyers are unicorns and rainbows and know there are some situations where it's not ideal. But they push through it because most sales go on just fine and only a few have hiccups. Happy buyers make repeat buyers. Treating everyone good despite there being a few bad ones is what in part, makes a business successful. Treating people like crooks leads to no one wanting to deal with you if there are alternatives. Hating on the platform because you don't like the rules does not change the rules. 

Everyone is great at complaining. You live in a free market, so if you don't like it, create your own platform with your own rules. Otherwise, it's just senseless whining and complaining. No one is forced to sell here. Nothing is stopping anyone from creating their own platform if they think everything stinks and it should be better. 

Message 26 of 41
latest reply

I totally agree with that!! 

Message 27 of 41
latest reply

eBay could very easily solve their problems and blow the competition out of the water. I suppose they know the ship is sinking and are just tired of bailing water. 

Message 28 of 41
latest reply

Inappropriate babe! I have handled the “public” face of my husband’s business for 30 years! Does that mean he doesn’t exist?! No…. 

Message 29 of 41
latest reply

Well, I would agree with your analysis if all sellers were equal however, we all know that isn’t true! 
eBay needs to be aware of who they chase off and who stays. Anytime they loose a good, albeit small, seller….they are driving a nail in their coffin. Greed does this. Favoring large volume sellers who sell inferior products and provide no CS over the smaller mom and pop types only leads to one outcome and that is a significant loss of market share that eventually leads to bankruptcy. 

Message 30 of 41
latest reply