cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Buyer was able to open return after 46 days... Why?

I posted yesterday asking for advice the story continues. I have a customer who I sold a new DVD recorder too 46 days ago it was still wrapped in plastic however, the box was open he initially was complaining it did not come with a manual. I never claimed there was a manual but I could see where the person might need it. So I spent time searching online and found it for them. I provided them with the link to the manual. It was suggested to me as the best way to get it too the customer. Which seems like it would have solve the problem. Wrong! As I was advised by some people who answered my first post this person is trying to run a scam. Now they have opened a return claiming the unit was not "new" citing 2 problems scratches and a stain on the remote. I can prove from pictures this was not the condition the item was in when I had the item. Why is eBay allowing them to open a return? I thought customers had 30 days under eBay's guaranteed money back program & my personal return policy is 30 days. What are my options / best course of action? Thank you for your time & advice. 

P.S. I know this doesn't really matter but my guess would be the person had some media (VHS) they wanted transferred to DVD. They used the recorder to make the DVDs they wanted and now have no use for it anymore so they want to return it. Do we have literally no protection where does it end? If someone can just use an item for as long as they want then just return it and expect a full refund. Thanks for putting up with my complaining. I understand this is a business.

Message 1 of 33
latest reply
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

Re: Buyer was able to open return after 46 days... Why?

Even if the MBG has expired, they can still open a case.

The only difference is Ebay won't get involved, it's between the buyer and seller.

You can deny the return.

The buyer could still go to their credit card and do a charge back, then, you'll loose the item and money.

Have a great day

View Best Answer in original post

Message 28 of 33
latest reply
32 REPLIES 32

Anybody can open a case, doesnt mean Ebay will approve it. Did you respond to the case with date of purchase?

``````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````

“Never pick a fight with an ugly person. They don’t have anything to lose.” ~Robin Williams
Message 2 of 33
latest reply

EBAY Money Back Guarantee (30 days AFTER receipt of item).   EBAY does NOT require customers to prove their claims (this allows them to lie and claim anything).  EBAY always rules in favor of the customer even if they return a "box of rocks".

Sorry this happened but Seller Protection is a thing of the past...

Message 3 of 33
latest reply

when did they receive it ?  there must be tracking.  if  it was more than 30 days before they filed the  return, then you might be ok. It might just be a " request" and not anything ebay would enforce. but you can show  ebay the pics, and give  a defense. .  And you may have other options. If this buyer is truly being abusive, you can report them as well.

Message 4 of 33
latest reply

No worries, returns are part online selling.

The buyer has 30 days from the delivery date to open a ebay Money Back Guarantee return case. 

If the case is opened past the 30-days from delivery date, the seller should have the option to decline the return with no ramifications from eBay.

What was the delivery date that the buyer received the item?

Note that if you do decline, the buyer can always do a PayPal or Credit Card chargeback. 

What was the cost of the DVD recorder the buyer paid?

What did you pay for the shipping label?

Posting ID
Message 5 of 33
latest reply

If I am not mistaken, They also had in place an extended Christmas Return Policy .

Message 6 of 33
latest reply

I don't recall any announcements about that this year.

"If a product doesn't sell, raise the price" - Reese Palley
"If it sold FAST, it was priced too low" - also Reese Palley
Message 7 of 33
latest reply

@toomuchstuffagain35 wrote:

I don't recall any announcements about that this year.

Poster was thinking of Amazon.  They do that every year.

"Our 2023 Extended Holiday Returns policy requires that items purchased between November 1, 2023, and December 31, 2023, are returnable through January 31, 2024, except for Apple brand products, which can be returned through January 15, 2024."

Posting ID
Message 8 of 33
latest reply

I know ebay has done it before but they usually announce it and it  was never well received anyway lol

"If a product doesn't sell, raise the price" - Reese Palley
"If it sold FAST, it was priced too low" - also Reese Palley
Message 9 of 33
latest reply

If the return was opened in excess of 30 days of the actual delivery date then you should be able to decline it, also I would not engage further with this buyer.

Message 10 of 33
latest reply

i just checked all the Announcements , and i don't see anything saying there's extended  returns timing. As  another  poster said,  that  must be Amazon.

https://community.ebay.com/t5/Announcements/bg-p/Announcements

Message 11 of 33
latest reply

@jm_quality_apparel ,

As much as it sucks I would accept the return and pay for the return postage. You can fight return and because it has been more than 30 days eBay will probably rule in your favor. If you accept the return you can get the item back first before refunding and you will have the item to resell again.

If the buyer is smart and in this case I believe he is. He will go file a charge back request with the financial institution that issued the credit/debit card he used for payment. Anyone that uses a credit/debit has at least 180 days to file a chargeback. If that happens you will almost always lose the case, the buyer will keep the item, the buyer will get all of his money back including shipping, and you will pay an additional $20.00 fee. There is nothing eBay can do about a chargeback. You can try and challenge it but the financial institutions most of the time will rule in their customers favor. 

Message 12 of 33
latest reply

@broto_64 ,

Horrible advice, the buyer will open a chargeback request with his bank and the seller will pay a $20.00 chargeback fee, lose the item, and all money he received for the item if he declines return. 

Message 13 of 33
latest reply

don't they  use any sort of evidence ? can't the seller prove  it if they have pics? this guy has pics.

Message 14 of 33
latest reply

@themayqueen ,

Nope. pictures can be doctored.

Also, I believe a big reason is no bank has the resources to review every chargeback claim manually. It takes too much time and energy.  

Message 15 of 33
latest reply