cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Buyer was able to open return after 46 days... Why?

I posted yesterday asking for advice the story continues. I have a customer who I sold a new DVD recorder too 46 days ago it was still wrapped in plastic however, the box was open he initially was complaining it did not come with a manual. I never claimed there was a manual but I could see where the person might need it. So I spent time searching online and found it for them. I provided them with the link to the manual. It was suggested to me as the best way to get it too the customer. Which seems like it would have solve the problem. Wrong! As I was advised by some people who answered my first post this person is trying to run a scam. Now they have opened a return claiming the unit was not "new" citing 2 problems scratches and a stain on the remote. I can prove from pictures this was not the condition the item was in when I had the item. Why is eBay allowing them to open a return? I thought customers had 30 days under eBay's guaranteed money back program & my personal return policy is 30 days. What are my options / best course of action? Thank you for your time & advice. 

P.S. I know this doesn't really matter but my guess would be the person had some media (VHS) they wanted transferred to DVD. They used the recorder to make the DVDs they wanted and now have no use for it anymore so they want to return it. Do we have literally no protection where does it end? If someone can just use an item for as long as they want then just return it and expect a full refund. Thanks for putting up with my complaining. I understand this is a business.

Message 1 of 33
latest reply
32 REPLIES 32

Re: Buyer was able to open return after 46 days... Why?

Thank you for the advice I appreciate it. Yes I offer free returns on all my items. I was told if I don't I would loss a whole subset of buyers. Who won't buy unless the seller offers free returns. I was thinking about opening a new thread on this topic. 

Message 31 of 33
latest reply

Not surprising lol

Message 32 of 33
latest reply

@jm_quality_apparel wrote:

To answer some of your questions. It was delivered November 21st so still outside the 30 day range. However, I do agree the best course of action would be to accept the return. Now I will be receiving back a used DVD recorder not new as it was when I initially sold it. So will eBay have a problem with me issuing a partial return based on the condition it's in? If the customer then wants to dispute it with their financial institution that would be their choice. If they are going to rip people off why not make them work for it. I would have the DVD recorder back so I wouldn't be risking anything. I am not that concerned about the monetary value anyway it's the principle. I understand returns are a cost of business I have issued returns in the past one on the very last day. Its annoying but its part of the business like some have said. That's why we have return guidelines so we aren't being taken advantage of any more than necessary. It just seems like a slippery slope. Thank you again.

Actually, they can't file a chargeback after they've received a partial refund because ebay will decline the chargeback on those grounds. I believe you being TRS and issuing a partial refund on that DVD after accepting the return might just be the best choice, being that you can then test it and if it works (which most likely it would) then resell it as used.

I am also of the party that unless it's my fault I never makes returns any easier than they need to be, of course when it is my fault I will jump through the hoops for a buyer.

Message 33 of 33
latest reply